Notices

Sober living/half way house experience?

Old 06-09-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober living/half way house experience?

Things are about to get very rough and dark on my side. My father, who I live with, who so far has been a functional alcoholic, was working two full time jobs to get on his feet financially. This pretty much forced him to be sober(but there have been bad incidents). Anytime he didn't have to work, he's been drunk from wake to sleep. Since he no longer has to work two jobs, I expect him(today proves true) he is going to progress pretty quickly since he usually drinks 1.75 liters of whiskey and some more beers a day when he can. I am not trying to blame him for my drinking, but to point out that he is such a trigger. I usually cope with his behavior by drinking. I can't stand when he tries to converse and laugh with me when he can barely stand up. It's just so annoying to deal with. My physical health is deteriorating at this point from my own drinking, which I can feel from only 5-6 years of it. I've heard of some half-way sober houses around here that I want to try. Many of them, if not all, need a referral from somewhere such as an outpatient program(trying to take care of billing wise right now). But I heard I could still keep my employment in a place like this which is a huge plus. Anyone have experience in a place like this?

Thanks for your input :-)
Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience myself but I know several people here who give glowing reviews Newman.

D
Old 06-09-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

I've worked with sober houses and outpatient treatment facilities in the past. It's best to do some research before you decide, since the level of care and requirements vary widely. For many, successful completion in rehab or (as you mentioned) referral from outpatient treatment is required. In my experience, sober houses that don't require a referral generally don't offer as beneficial an experience as those that do.

I noticed that you list your location as NY. If you're on Long Island, Seafield offers rehab, outpatient treatment and sober living -- the latter at three or four different locations -- all reputable.

In New York City, Roosevelt Hospital has an excellent rehab, while St. Luke's offers a halfway house that I believe allows you to continue working. If you can take a 28-day leave from work for rehab, it might help to get you stabilized. Even two weeks might help.

Not offering medical advice here, just listing possible options.

Best of luck.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your input, guys :-)

I completely agree with you on that, Endgame, about the ones not requiring a referral.

Funny part is, things seem like they have gone a complete 180 in the last few hours. I made a comment to my dad about his drinking(it was somewhat sarcastic). He responded by saying he is done with drinking. Sure, those are just words, but he also ended up buying about $200 worth of health foods and hes back at the gym now. Typically, when he quits drinking, he substitutes his addiction for alcohol with an addiction to health. And I mean ADDICTED. Counting every calorie in food, nutritional factors, exercising, etc. I find I can become the same way. So if he does follow through with this, and I will support him, it'll make recovery so much more easier for me having that stress removed.

On top of that, I was just informed I am now on a commission plan at work where I can easily earn up to $500 extra a month in addition to my paychecks. This actually would solve SO many problems and even opens up the door to getting my own place if I didn't end up choosing a sober living program/home(and if I do, the financial part shouldn't be too bad...). I guess as of yesterday I was expecting the worst. I guess even when you're in the mindset of expecting the worst, don't lose hope. Things obviously aren't 100% immediately right now, but at least the hope is there which wasn't these passed days :-)
Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you're getting sober and I hope things work out for both of you.... having a plan B is always good though!

When I first got sober, I had to base all my decisions on whether something would help or hinder my sobriety. That included people, too..... I think if you keep your own sobriety up there at #1, you can't go wrong. You can do this!