Notices

Need help

Old 05-09-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help

I don't think anyone remembers me, posted about three four threads about 3-4 months ago. I posted about how I tried to quit drinking, I lasted a total of 16 days, and since then I have drank every single day. I finish a liter of either bacardi silver or gold in about 2-3 days. I just finished my last bottle and the depression has sunk in that I need to stop. I am drunk while I type this and need help to stop. I just love the feeling. But i need to stop for my personal life. I don't want to attend meetings I am young and feel I can do this on my own with the help of this website. I do get the shaky hands in the morning, but what is worse is that mind **** of just wanting to drink....any advice is welcomed. Thank you.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drink a lot of water and go to bed. When you are sober tomorrow read the articles and materials on this website. There are many options for treatment besides meetings. However, I would discourage you from trying to do this alone. At least understand that we in this forum will support you and help you through this process.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a reason why you came and posted...
Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

rgiardino, I get it man. I would go through those liters at about the same rate as you. I couldn't stop. I was on my way to complete madness and mayhem.

I'm not even in my 30's yet and I constantly think about how I'm too young for this stuff. The truth is that these excuses to drink will never end. When you're older, you'll form new excuses. And then once those have subsided, more will come again. The madness never ends. It finally took me going to AA meetings to stop for longer than two weeks. It's insane that I still entertain the thought of guzzling down those Bacardi's but I still do and that's why I need recovery every day.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

I'm glad you are going to try again, and SR definitely is the place to get the support and advice to make this time more successful than the last. I would start the ball rolling with a question.... what are you going to do differently from the last time you tried to quit?

You say, "I need to stop for my personal life." Is it really just for your *personal* life, or for your life itself?

You also say, "I don't want to attend meetings I am young..." Just remember that there are no age restrictions here... plenty of young people are alcoholics, and plenty get the help they need to quit.

The quote comes to mind: "Half measures availed us nothing." The good news is that if you want this change more than anything and are willing to go to great lengths to get it, then you can do it. The question is, have you made that leap yet?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi rgiardino
I do remember you

I know how hard it is to ask for help - I just wanted to solve my own problems, no dram, no embarrassment, no changes to my life...

I couldn't do that man - I tried for 20 years.

If you want change you need to make changes - and you need support to make that happen I think.

D
Old 05-11-2013, 01:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
now's the time

I have been doing it without meetings... but I don't think it's possible without a plan. I do something for my sobriety every day. For me, SR and yoga are the two times per day when I check in with my sobriety and take note of my progress and my ups and downs.

But I have started going to a therapist, too. At first I was all about doing it alone. But now I'm almost 90 days in and involving other people feels like taking it to the next level.

Whichever way you choose to get sober, welcome back and good luck.