Notices

Amazing weekend

Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Amazing weekend

The difference between carrying on the drinking life -v- not drinking.

I had a totally amazing Saturday out with my daughter, up set end selfridges shopping, getting things for her birthday, looking at loads goodies, then a lovely lunch, cuppa tea, etc. Come home (she drove, which was an absolute luxury as anyone will know who lives the London life), exhausted but totally satisfied and happy after a lovely day shopping. If I'd been boozing firstly I wouldn't have been able to function, wash or brush my teeth, yet alone go west end shopping. Minced around all day, suffering, pounding head, churning stomach, feeling nauseous all day long, taking pills to get rid of the pain, etc.

Yesterday was invited to a family friend's BBQ. Again, totally amazing day, chatted along with everyone, laughing, having fun, feeling good. Ate loads of gorgeous food & salads & fruit and pudding all the while I'm drinking my lime & soda watching peeps guzzle the wine feeling I'm the luckiest person here today because I dont have to drink that poison to have a good time.

When I look back I would've been well pissed, much much more than everyone, feeling like "hey, I'm ok, I can handle this, and nobody knows that I'm feeling drunk because I'm sounding and acting ok". Not!. There was one particular guy there who was knocking them back, and it was glaringly obvious as soon as I entered the party he was boozer. Omg, you can tell, I knew exactly what stage og inebriation he was at. I knew exactly how he felt, how? Because that was me, I've been him so so many times. The difference he went home bat 9ish, I would have been there to the bitter end, by now wanting the music turned up, looking by now really pissed, really sloppy, arguing with husband etc etc. Then, the inevitable horror the next day. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I could never go out on an occasion like that without the inevitable end. When I start to drink, I drink to oblivion and if I get home safely after whatever events would have occurred in the meantime that would be a blessing. Phew, alcohol really is hard, hard work, and painful and horrid and shaming and, awful. Sobriety on the other hand is quite wonderful, peaceful, unchaotic, I can't praise it enough. I never ever want that life back again, I know it is there waiting in the wings for me if ever I chose. Long live sobriety. Sobriety rocks. It's totally cool an trendy to be sober and drink soda & lime. Have a good weekend everyone, I love you guys xx
Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its great, I love it too!

When that realisation hits that actually booze made you miss out. Rather than missing out because of not boozing.

I feel really liberated being able to drive whenever I want, whatever time of the night or day.

Or when you go for a meal, you are actually there for the food, not to drink as much as possible and eat as little as possible.

And in the past, a bank holiday weekend in the UK meant booze, booze and more booze! Not anymore for me.

I'm really glad you a nice time with your daughter, thats nice memories to hold on to.

My best to you
x
Old 05-06-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober starting May 19, 2013

Did you say "Selfridges"? We watched the television show last night (we yanks love our English programs)!

I had a nice, sober weekend as well. Really enjoyed working with my family to clean the house. Weather was perfect, too.

Starting on day 8 of sobriety.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by Busby56 View Post
Did you say "Selfridges"? We watched the television show last night (we yanks love our English programs)!

I had a nice, sober weekend as well. Really enjoyed working with my family to clean the house. Weather was perfect, too.

Starting on day 8 of sobriety.
Yes, we go selfridges A LOT, also Harrods, Harvey Nichols, and my favorite wondrous store is liberties. But, I know I wouldn't have anything in my life if I carried on boozing. Great on 8 days x
Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober starting May 19, 2013

I especially love waking up and NOT feeling like a truck ran over me.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Love the story! I had my first sober weekend in a long time and loved every minute of it. Thanks for sharing