Notices

Has it only been a week?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has it only been a week?

Wow, I can't believe it's only been a week. I don't want to go to AA but I will say that it's been hard! I think about drinking a lot. Especially on the weekends. I am currently heartbroken, and I am lonely. Everything on the internet says to distract myself. I am trying, trying hard, but motivating myself is difficult. I will keep at it, maybe clean my oven. I try to make plans, but don't have any friends really. My mom has stage four cancer, so it's a lot at once. I will say that one thing that is motivating me, even if it's not a good thing, is trying to be more of a person that my ex would have stayed with and deserved.

To all those having a tough time fighting cravings, I hope that it gets easier, and that we stay sober long enough to find that out for ourselves!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

Congratulations on a week!!

I was really confused about what to do with myself in the first week, too. And that was without having all the other situations on my plate that you do.

If the feeling doesn't lift in a bit... I think for me it took about 2 - 3 weeks before I started coming up with new and positive ways to spend my time (other than just reading all day).... but if it doesn't lift, would you consider counseling? New sobriety, your mother's illness, and the loss of your ex sound like a heck of a lot to deal with, especially if you don't have a strong support network where you're living. Therapy's not cheap but at least in my case it's not as expensive as my drinking habit was!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blueplanet View Post
Wow, I can't believe it's only been a week.
I agree that the first week seemed like an eternity. But I found that as I kept going the calendar days started to fly past. Keep it up!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober starting May 19, 2013

A week here, too. Last drink was Saturday a week ago. So I'm on day 8 now. Let's wish each other the best of luck!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm at 10 days, but had a minor lapse last night had 3 glasses of wine...mostly because of boredom and the creeping depression so many of us have AND most importantly I ran out of "distractions" at about 5:30 yesterday...weekend's are tough...hang in there u have a lot on your plate with your mom's illness and everything
Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on a week!!! I'm on 6 days and really owe that to keeping busy. Exercise seems to be my best bet. Also started therapy once a week and it gives me a weekly goal. Good luck to you. Keep posting!