Notices

Worried and starting to crave.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried and starting to crave.

I'm having a tough day. I'm 35 days clean and sober, and the worry is getting to me.

I'm going to probably have to fire someone Tuesday and I have been worried sick about since last night.

The Now I'm nervous and I'm wanting to drink. I'm so used to killing these feelings with booze and drugs. I cant now and I'm having trouble dealing with it.

I know it will past, but I'm really wanting to drink.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been there. What works for me is thinking of where that first drink will lead me. The hangover and anxiety. It's just not worth it, if you're like me, and once I took that first drink all bets were off.

Hang in there and try to distract yourself. The craving will pass.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a horrible thing to have to do, I can understand you feeling anxious about it.

When I have difficult things to face at work, I try to plan as well as I can for them in advance in practical terms. I try not to spend pointless hours hypothesising possible scenarios, 'if they say this, then I will say that...'kind of thing, because its a waste of my energy. I share my worry with someone who will understand (usually another alcoholic. I find their support the best because they don't try to tell me what to do or make me feel better, they just remind me of other ways to deal with stress). I then do something nice for myself, a little thing that I enjoy doing...a walk, reading a book...some chocolate!

Oh, and I don't drink. There is NOTHING more likely to induce huge waves of anxiety than drinking for me.

I hope all goes as well as it can for you x
Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Chrisb245, I assume you will still have to do this very unpleasant task on Tuesday whether you drink or not... But if you drink you will also have to do it while hungover and/or bitterly disappointed in yourself. In other words, it will only be worse. I hope you can find a way to deal with the stress in other ways, as Jeni26 says. For me exercise and meditation are very helpful. Day 35 is a tremendous achievement, and I really hope you can keep it going!