Notices

Drinking related health problems

Old 05-14-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've tried rehab once before and lasted 11 days then returned to alcohol, but this time I'm adequately freaked out enough to want to complete it and stay clean. My fortitude is getting weak again, and I feel the relapse creeping up, so I should probably go after the opportunity because she said I'd take priority over the others on the list due to my situation being voluntary and without legal issues, VS the others who face revocation (of parole or something I'm assuming) if they don't submit to treatment. I'm just nervous about a lot of things, mostly employment related, because a lot of job offers have been coming up and I'd be throwing them away (or severely postponing them) if I did this. I know they said sobriety isn't always easy, and this situation just goes to prove it
Old 05-14-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AJ1984 View Post
because a lot of job offers have been coming up and I'd be throwing them away (or severely postponing them) if I did this.
You must be busy going to interviews every day then, aren't you? All those job offers coming your way, it's amazing you even have time to post here. I guess if you're truly busy with 2 interviews per day and have a 100K potential offer, then you do have a big decision on your hands.

If not, go to treatment. BTW - if you're going to make up excuses, give a better effort. We alcoholics have been there and done that. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

At this point, I'm just trying to stay sober to keep my job. I'm so scared I'll lose it.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

6 mos ago I was in the worst upper abdominal pain I've ever felt. Went to the dr and was diagnosed with liver disease, gastritis, GERD and a hiatal hernia...all alcohol related. I was told to stop drinking or I would die. At that time I was already 1 month sober. Tomorrow I am 7 months sober. The pain is gone. Liver levels are back to normal and my no longer enlarged. I am on meds for all of the stomach issues for another 6 months but I am on the mend. Just hang in there, DON'T drink and you will bounce back. Stay strong! We can do this!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kayla50 View Post
At this point, I'm just trying to stay sober to keep my job. I'm so scared I'll lose it.
I lost mine, it was a good one too. I actually QUIT, but I only did so because the hangovers and anxiety became too much to handle. I went kinda nuts there for a while. Sometimes change can be good though...but unemployment for most also adds to stress, so it's a double-edged sword.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Kayla.

Firstly, try and calm down a little, OK? I know its hard but just try and relax. You cannot think straight with your mind racing all over the place. You tell your boss you had some wine and food and you have been very ill as a result. I don't think it is a good idea to approach the subject immediately after absence, he may become concerned that you are unfit to carry out your job, which I very much doubt is the case. Get a good nights sleep and go to work tomorrow ( i know its easier said than done but just try and relax). Do you have some camomile tea or something ?

If you feel that you need some support take all the support you can outside of work and use that all you can to support you through these times.

I hope all is okay for you. I will keep my fingers crossed. I hope you are OK

x
Old 05-14-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi AJ -

I'm so sorry you had to go through such a painful time, but glad you're back and have started healing.

As far as treatment goes, I know how hard it is when everything is pulling on you (jobs, family, money, etc. etc.) but if you put yourself (and your sobriety) first, I don't think you can lose.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I never quite got to the point where my organs were shutting down. Every time I got sober I went to the hospital first for outpatient detox help. I always got blood work and everything. Somehow my liver was fine though. Of course I could feel that pain though for months. After my last bout of drinking I had the telltale pain on my right side for 6 months after being sober. Now it's gone mostly, although every once and a while I feel it.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi AJ,
I was hospitalized with pacreatitis and the beginnings of hepatitis and loss of liver function. My doctor told me if I took one more drink, I would die. I was in the hospital for two weeks, went right to rehab after. Had to quit my job (but I hated that job anyway). I physically did not feel better for almost a year, but my levels were back to normal in three months. Got a low stress, low pay job and worked there for two years, doing the one day at a time.
Now I am one month short of 8 years and I have never felt better in my life.
You can do it and you will get better.