Notices

Financial Consequences

Old 04-29-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Financial Consequences

The longer I am sober, the more aware I am of things wasted.I deal with them one by one. Currently, it is the financial devastation my alcohol created. I was married with a beautiful home,great health insurance, nice cars, and after my husband got sick of my drinking, and we divorced, I lost every piece of a financially secure life I had ever know. In the grand scheme of things, I know that of all things lost, finances take a back seat. I have restored relationships with my parents and children, I remember the night before, I don't wake up sick, sweating,with a pounding headache, trying to somehow pull it together enough to drag myself to work. However, having no health insurance, savings,a car with 90,000 miles on it, and struggling to make it every month, is starting to overwhelm me.I am not feeling sorry for myself, this is part of the aftermath of Hurricane Wine! I work hard all day and take care of my granddaughter in the evenings ( an opportunity I once lost due to my drinking and was in jeopardy of losing all contact with her) I still feel panic and huge anxiety when I wonder how I will survive the rest of my life financially. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
...It's Time.

MeFree, i am in a similar situation. Probably even worst. My kids are small. Struggling as a self employed contractor and trying to find permanent long term work hasnt been easy. Also trying to keep my home and repair the financial disaster ive put myself in. Oh and forgot to mention im also going thru a dwi court case.

I have so many moments especially when i open up those debt collection letters where it would be all to easy to go buy that bottle of wine and forget for the night but i know all to well what ill be starting. So i threw out the bottle opener and now im just throwing myself into finding work, going to the gym and paying what I can for now. I have faith if you try hard enough in time things will fall into place. One day at a time I guess. But your not alone. Ive discovered theres many of us who have major life repairing to do.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you are sober and have your health, you can get through this.

I fret about my future all the time. I literally started with nothing at age 40 except a huge debt. No car, new job. Lived check to check. Then there was a little bit left over each month, then a little more. Once I gained a foothold financially, I started making progress. And while I'm not ready to retire, I bought a house, and live comfortably. But that could end tomorrow should I pick up a drink.

There is a lot if information available on gaining financially security. I don't mean get-rich-schemes. I mean how to create a budget, start savings, insurance, investing, and so forth. Check your local library.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am right at the precipice of losing it all. I was sober for almost 10 years and pulled myself out of a very deep, dark hole. I had it all, and then I began drinking again. Last night I slept on the floor of a unfurnished apartment because my wife kicked me out of our home. I am close to going deeper, and I will, if I kept drinking. But today I have eight days sober and how close I am to the edge has scared the s*$t out of me. I'm lucky to be where I am. I hope that I got off the elevator and don't descend any further. The only way i can be sure I do not is to stay away from booze.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcoholism robs u of everything. We all know that. It doesn't need a gun. It steals ur personal identity. It owns you and takes it all. Can anyone tell us different?