Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to drinking that aren't habit forming?

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

I'm not talking about replacing the addiction with another addiction (I haven't taken up smoking or coffee, which is good!), but just having some other constructive things to do to fill our time where we would normally be drinking, and even beyond that! This last time around, I decided to quit because my body was always tired and I had aches and pains all over, the usual. But the other reason, and more alarming, was because I began coming home from work around 2 in the afternoon, and pouring a drink, and continuing all throughout the night. And on my days off, I'd start drinking even earlier. Maybe with lunch, and onward. So it got to that point where it wasn't just social anymore, and you could get away with it because it was after 5 PM and with dinner.

Anyway, some things that I like to do:

1. Pampering. Because for me, I'm instantly drawn to healing when it comes to getting sober. Healing from the inside out (though I usually start with outward healing, because it's instant). I think spa, getaway, hot bath, painting my nails, face mask, you know .... all the womanly things. ;o)

2. Cooking/Food preparation. I'm really into cooking, big time. I'm drawn to food and learning new recipes. I got into the habit of having a glass of wine while cooking, so I'll now make some fresh juice using raw fruits and vegetables in my juicer appliance. It's healthy and it tastes great! Cooking allows me to express my creativity, so I really enjoy it.

3. Reading/Watching inspirational videos. I'm an avid YouTube watcher. Love, love YouTube. Have my own channel on YouTube, actually. So many great motivational, inspirational clips on there and it's all right at our finger tips! I also love to read books along the same lines. And by 9 PM I'll get myself into bed, and for the next hour I'll read or watch videos to wind down. It's better than walking around idle, craving that drink, personally.

4. Watching a comedy. Our situation isn't too pretty at first. Those first steps of recovery are hard, especially within the first week. So I'm drawn to stuff that's funny. Some of my favorite comedies are movies with Jim Carey, Zach Galifianakis, Jason Segal, Jack Black, and Paul Rudd. That dumb, romantic comedy is great for me, and it really encourages me to not take life so seriously, in the midst of a serious circumstance (recovery).

5. Get outdoors! My husband and I love taking walks, hiking, climbing rock quarries, canoeing, and just sitting down somewhere peaceful outside to talk. Being outside is therapy in and of itself, it's hard to explain. But it's truth! We somehow connect right away with the peacefulness and calmness of nature, and it takes us away from all of the stuff that hinders and hurts.

....So those are my few ideas to start. Anyone else have any? I'd say music, but I really only like ambient artists when I'm feeling mentally conflicted, because anything else brings me to a place of negativity (i.e. songs about love & heartache, or songs with terrible sound that are way too loud and insane, etc.) Any feel good music suggestions?

Love to you guys on this beautiful day. Sober day #3, and feeling pretty alright.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like to play fast-paced online games like Scrabble, which engage you and don't let your concentration slip.

I go to a free site called King Games (you can Google it, I'm not allowed to post links yet!) where they have all sorts of games, from frivolous fun ones to the more complex and challenging. You can also play against other users and even strike up conversations with them.

I also do crosswords, word searches, anagram puzzles etc - you can find loads of good free stuff on-line.

I've also joined Netflix which has been a bit of a Godsend (only £5.99 a month - well worth it), and so spend hours watching films and comedy series. I especially recommend Fawlty Towers, The Inbetweeners, and Peep Show.

However, I often find I really need to do something interactive to stave off the restless boredom that so often leads to drinking, so I also like to visit lots of news sites - even ones that represent the complete opposite of my own political views - and comment on news stories and engage with other commenters. This quite often leads to arguments that can go on for days, but better a political-disagreement-binge than an alcoholic one!
Old 04-28-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This might interest you:

a link
Old 04-28-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kind of in keeping with the outdoors theme, but regular, tough exercise is by far how I replace my drinking. I get that high, euphoric feeling, except in a much healthier manner.
There are few things more rewarding to me, than sweating my ass off for a good 40-60 minutes, pushing myself as far as I can go and then even more, hydrating and then looking forward to a glorious shower afterwards.
When ever I relapse for a time and then go back to my work out schedule, I always think "why on earth would I choose drinking over this?! This feels amazing!"
Drinking, I guess is just me being lazy to get that "high".
Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Love the gaming suggestions! I used to play all of the Facebook games, and I'd sit there for hours. May have to find some new ones!

I love the idea of a vigorous exercise routine! I'm a health nut, so anything that contributes to health & wellness is awesome in my book. I've tried yoga, but have been very impatient with it because it just feels so complicated when you're trying to do a workout to a DVD, instead of joining a class. I'll have to look into more options for exercise!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Doing some community service like volunteering at the local food bank or at the local neighborhood beautification group.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trying to close the dark doors

The newest on my list is making unique sodas with my Soda stream...
Almond Earl Grey Cream Soda was fun.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Crocheting and knitting helped quitting cigarettes years ago and now is again quitting my dangerous wine drinking. Something about it is very meditative, plus you get something cool and made by you at the end.

If you want to give it a try, there are tons of how-to videos on YouTube.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
now's the time

If you have access to yoga classes rather than the DVDs, I highly recommend it. There've been studies that show that yoga works on GABA in the brain... same as alcohol. It's calming in ways that other exercise isn't. I've been going every day and it makes a huge difference for me. I'd say that starting yoga has been nearly as important to me as stopping drinking (not quite, but you get the idea )
Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I go to the gym and follow a diet plan. Alcohol has no place in a fitness diet.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I love your list! For me, I started watching more movies (time sucker!), going to the gym a ton, even some video games (so not a gamer). Then I had a baby.. so I don't have time to think of what I want to do to fill my time (he's 3 now ).. I'd kill for some "boredom" LOL
Old 04-29-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Che

In my opinion your cooking activity is the best from your list. Every other activity in your list can be very passive. If cooking is your thing, then challenge yourself with progressively difficult recipes, with creating your own dishes as you get to know spices better.

Your brain wants to be active. It becomes very dull when you don't ask it to do something creative, or something it isn't used to.

Even if you don't feel you're good at it, or you don't think you will ever be good at it, take up a hobby which requires you to make decisions work problems out, to learn new techniques. Cooking is fine, if you aspire to be very good. Writing, painting, drawing, quilting, programming, woodworking and sports are also good.

I think passive tasks lead to boredom, which leads to idleness, which leads to a void that you formerly filled with alcohol. Active tasks are much more enduring, will make you feel good about yourself and give you a sense of accomplishment that will keep that void from returning. For me at least, it is hard to feel good about spending an afternoon sitting on the couch watching videos, even if they're vaguely educational.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A soda maker sounds awesome! I've seen those on TV, I think.

I have always wanted to crochet, but it's one of those things (among many) that you put off to have a night of drinking instead. Will have to check it out now!

Flutter, I have a 5 year old and a 3 & 1/2 year old. Being bored is a privilege, indeed. Hope you're managing well! :-)

Che, thank you so much for this response. Challenging ourselves. Totally agree that passive activities can cause us to turn back to filling the void with drink. I'll have to start proactively creating this list of things I want to seriously learn. And the biggest thing for me is follow thru, because I tend to start and then not finish. Thanks again!