Notices

8 Months Dry

Old 04-24-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 Months Dry

Hi all its been a while since I posted on here but I felt compelled to say that I have been 8 months dry this time around.. The first two weeks were as expected pure hell but as time went on its gotten a lot easier. I'm probably close to my longest dry spell and I was curious do the out of the blue urges to drink ever go away? I've been getting these urges that generally last 5-15 minutes to just run down and get a 12 pack and get hammered..
Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

That is great easyrider! Congrats !!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 8 months x

Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Easyrider, 8 months dry? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by easyrider73 View Post
Hi all its been a while since I posted on here but I felt compelled to say that I have been 8 months dry this time around.. The first two weeks were as expected pure hell but as time went on its gotten a lot easier. I'm probably close to my longest dry spell and I was curious do the out of the blue urges to drink ever go away? I've been getting these urges that generally last 5-15 minutes to just run down and get a 12 pack and get hammered..
First of all, congrats to you for the 8 months!

Hard to say. I find it interesting that you picked the word "dry" and not "sober". You do know the difference between the two, right? If you were sober and working an active program of recovery, then that obsession to drink can be lifted. Otherwise, I don't think these urges ever go away. I was listening to someone with over 5 years give a lead at an AA meeting and I could tell he was very dry. He kept talking about still wanting to go back out and drink again all the time throughout his talk. What I got from that is that no length of time will ever remove this obsession to drink. I have to take action and work towards some program of recovery that will get me there.

Again, congrats and 8 months is quite a big deal to just throw away. Keep it up!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations easyrider I found that things got a lot easier after 8 months. But with cravings I sometimes think something more specific is needed. Have you been doing anything to dispel them like thinking the drink through or urge surfing. The odd craving comes up now and then but I quickly ignore it because I don't drink anymore Really well done on 8 months though, that's a great achievement x
Old 04-25-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds like it wasn't quite an EasyRide in the beginning, but you sound like you're mastering the power curve and things are evening out! Congrats on the 8 months, it's one crazy roller coaster ride isn't it? Great job and thanks for sharing.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

@Caldus, I guess depending on what part of the country your standing in "dry" means "sober". I'm from the south originally and now live in southern Ohio which ain't much different from Kentucky Lol..I didn't do the AA thing, I tried it and it just wasn't for me. I fight off my urges with projects around the house, working on motorcycles, guitar and lots of coffee and bottle water, I find that having something in my hand to "drink" helps a lot. Also have developed a chocolate craving...