Notices

Looking for San Fran meeting

Old 04-24-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
p***enger

Looking for San Fran meeting

Hi all,

I'm traveling to San Francisco on business for several days and looking for meetings. I'm staying about 2 blocks from Union Square Park -- maybe that's the Tenderloin district, I'm not sure. I'm looking for AA meetings, especially Monday and Tuesday. I'm a woman. I'll call Intergroup, too, but I thought someone here might have a recommendation.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

dude check the website or call the hotline...hundreds of them
Old 04-24-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You should be able to finds gobs!
Find a Meeting - www.AASF.org
You are in a lovely area in the center of everything. Catching cabs is easy, don't drive unless you absolutely have to. Parking is expensive if you can find a parking spot!. Without being specific, the folks at the hotel can help you about locations.
I don't know where you are at now, but the weather is supposed to be very nice! I live about 75 miles away where it's in the 80's.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Be careful, the Tenderloin is a high-crime area.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by noanxtime View Post
don't drive unless you absolutely have to....
I don't know where you are at now, but the weather is supposed to be very nice! I live about 75 miles away where it's in the 80's.
Thanks for all replies -- I'm a new yorker -- no car in my plans. & I'm definitely looking forward to the excellent weather.

I know I can call/check SF AA's website, but I'm hoping someone on SR who lives in or has lived in SF can recommend from personal experience.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

Hi Courage, I don't do AA but I do know the city fairly well after being here for a few years.

I would advise against a meeting in the Tenderloin. It's no longer as dangerous as it once was, I walk through there at night sometimes. But a meeting there will probably have a higher percentage of mentally unstable people. No nice way to say it, this city does have a very large population of that demographic and the Tenderloin and Civic Center will be meetings you'll (probably?) want to avoid.

I know that Pacific Heights has a good reputation on Yelp (an AA meeting with a Yelp page? I dunno but they have one) and isn't too too far from Union Square.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's pretty far out of your way, but the speaker meeting in downtown Berkeley on Sunday evenings is a really nice group. It's a bit of a haul on BART unless you already happen to be in East Bay, though.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Courage,

I live in SF and I go to AA.

There is a place called Ariana Cafe in the Tenderloin (a less sketchy part of it) that has meetings all day and usually are pretty good.

The other places I'd recommend would be Nu Outlook in Pacific Heights and The Dry Dock in the Marina.

If you look at aasf.org you'll find all the listings.

These three places all have meetings pretty much all day and night.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more detailed feedback.

Enjoy your stay here.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks a lot -- I've never seen an AA meeting w/a Yelp page either, but why not?

Maybe will try to take a day trip to Berkeley. Thanks again!