Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Last thing I want to do is call people feel like isolating instead

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yesterday I forced myself to call three people one I don't know I made an agreement with my sponsor that I would do it everyday and I intend to do it. Today I called one person so far my friend. Im putting of making those other two calls keep telling myself it is pointless no one will care or remember me. Just gotta get myself to make those calls I guess buts its so hard to call someone I have only met once or a name that I cant put a face to.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

anoronha
that is one part of AA i really liked was reaching out and communicating. that is great you are doing that. great job
Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Most of us have filled a void in us with alcohol, and when we quit drinking the void need to be filled with something else. Making relationships with other people is one of the ways to do this. You will grow so much from doing this, and it will strengthen your self asteem. Keep going and get out of your comfort zone a little bit. You will get so much back from doing it. I wish you all the best!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anoronha, I am almost 8 months sober and I still have a hard time picking up that phone, trust me! My default behavior is to isolate and do things by myself, because that's what I would do during my drinking days. I am a little bit better than I used to be but could still improve quite a bit in this department for sure. It really does get you thinking about someone else which in turn allows you to escape your problems for a few minutes. It's all part of the program's principles of it not being about me and about taking contrary action in order to have a better mindset (not vice versa).