Notices

Outpatient Question

Old 04-16-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Outpatient Question

After a two month binge, I'm ready to get sober again. I'm entering outpatient rehab on Fri and I want to be in the right mind when I begin the program. I'm hoping that outpatient will help me better than just white-knuckling it the whole way. I've been prescribed Librium in the meanwhile to help with the mild-moderate withdrawals. You know what's weird though? They didn't think I qualified for intensive outpatient, even though I regularly drink 8-10 drinks daily. Maybe I just don't understand the whole outpatient process. Could anyone shed some light on this?
Anyway, wish me luck-really I need it.
-fallgirl
Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I should probably note that the outpatient program I will be attending is for one hour 2x a week. When I asked about the intensive outpatient program, the counselor said that she didn't think I qualified, even though I said I thought the intensive outpatient program would probably be better for me. I'm just so confused.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Intensive outpatient might have to do with more services than they believed necessary for you in their particular program. I know when I got sober the outpatient program I belonged to treated everyone from the homeless to the successful business person. People get treated at all different levels. I don't believe they were judging by how much you drink, but possibly by other particulars in your situation. Could you offer any further details? 6-8 drinks a night is far from social drinking so I wouldn't question your qualifications. It isn't about how much we drank anyhow, its about how the drink it'd affecting our lives.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For clarification, I drank 8-10 drinks a night and always in secret; hiding it from my husband until I came clean to him. Drinking at family gatherings in secret. Told him lots of lies and it strained our relationship. The drinking has affected my memory and motivation as well. I told the counselor all of this.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Me too.

8-10 was a typical morning. Lets all be honest and say the 25-30 that actually happens.

Originally Posted by fallgirl613 View Post
For clarification, I drank 8-10 drinks a night and always in secret; hiding it from my husband until I came clean to him. Drinking at family gatherings in secret. Told him lots of lies and it strained our relationship. The drinking has affected my memory and motivation as well. I told the counselor all of this.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

Ok. Whatever happens remember you are there for yourself for a reason you know. Try and make it as productive an experience as possible. It will be a challenge. Sounds like it already is so.
Welcome btw, and all the best to you.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lifewillgetbet View Post
8-10 was a typical morning. Lets all be honest and say the 25-30 that actually happens.
I'm being completely honest here. I'm actually a bit offended that you'd think I would lie on this forum. It may not seem like a lot of alcohol to some (8-10 drinks a day) but to me it was. It signaled a problem that I knew needed to be addressed. I think (from what I've learned about alcoholism) is that it isn't necessarily how much you drink, but how much it affects your life and/or your dependence on it.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am in the process of being admitted to a Inpatient Rehab program. I didn't realize how bad my drinking had become but I was told I didn't "qualify" until I go thru detox in a hospital setting.

So im guessing they base it on your actual intake of alcohol and isn't a sign of how bad you need help.

If you are not happy with this place can you go else where?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maxamuus View Post
If you are not happy with this place can you go else where?
I'm just going to go with the one I'm set up for this Fri. It took me 3 weeks to get in and I really can't wait any longer. I guess we'll see how it goes.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lifewillgetbet View Post
I'm sure many people drink/drank that much but my intake was much closer to the 8-10 mark. That was enough to completely devastate my life. Honest.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by john44 View Post
I'm sure many people drink/drank that much but my intake was much closer to the 8-10 mark. That was enough to completely devastate my life. Honest.
Thank you. That amount is (was) just enough to devastate my life as well. Honest.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Working in the clinical field I know that different agencies (places that provide treatment and counseling) term outpatient or intensive outpatient somewhat differently. The reality is that you are getting started and that is so wonderful! I'm s ure that if it appears that you need additional support, they will recommend that you participate in additional groups for group counseling. Outpatient basically means that you attend treatment but you don't actually reside/stay overnight. Intensive outpatient generally means that you are participating in a number of groups as well as recieving say individual counseling and maybe getting urine testing/breathalyzer tested.

Again, I think it is great that you are going! I found counseling to be really helpful for me in my recovery.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
Working in the clinical field I know that different agencies (places that provide treatment and counseling) term outpatient or intensive outpatient somewhat differently. The reality is that you are getting started and that is so wonderful! I'm sure that if it appears that you need additional support, they will recommend that you participate in additional groups for group counseling. Outpatient basically means that you attend treatment but you don't actually reside/stay overnight. Intensive outpatient generally means that you are participating in a number of groups as well as recieving say individual counseling and maybe getting urine testing/breathalyzer tested.

Again, I think it is great that you are going! I found counseling to be really helpful for me in my recovery.
I'm lucky that they do the 80 urine test even with the 2x a week sessions, so I will still be held accountable. Also, (thankfully) I will get an individual session every other week. I thought that if it didn't work out (meaning I needed more structure) they would probably give me more intensive treatment. Thank you. You cleared up some of the confusion for me.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got in - I hope you can make this a new beginning fallgirl

D