Notices

This is a stupid problem, but I have to vent..

Old 04-10-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is a stupid problem, but I have to vent..

So, I take academics very seriously. I recently just transfered to a new college & I had several goals I wanted to meet. Most of them, I've met, but, I found out today that I have not met one of the main goals I wanted to achieve and I'm really disappointed.

Every year a handful of students are picked as outstanding students and I wasn't picked, but some other students I know were. What bugs me the most about that is that I feel like I really am trying so hard but I'll never be as good as some people.

Some of the people that were picked have things that I probably will never have, like a lot of confidence, they are very introverted, and deep down I think they are probably way smarter than me and realizing that hurts a lot.

I sometimes feel like being shy and introverted is a detrimental thing, but that is just my nature. I don't know, I just feel like I'm not good enough and I'm second guessing if I can achieve my ultimate goals....

Self confidence is something I've never really had, but today it's just at a low point and I don't really know how to get through it..
Old 04-10-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

intelligence is relative. The highest achievers in college in no way always make the biggest earners in life
Old 04-10-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Surrender, say the Serenity Prayer and realize what it is saying, allow yourself to be re-created. Have you recently worked to be free from an addiction? If, so, you realize that self-will run riot is the cause of much suffering. There is a saying...Meditate 20 minutes a day, if you can't do that, then Meditate 1 hour a day.

Allow yourself to be re-created. A lot of opportunities are missed while in a frantic state of pursuing something that may be out-of-sync with your personality, specific attributes, etc.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

We all have our limitations. I am no good at sport, and am a lousy musician- i would love yhis not to be the case. nothing i can feel about it will change the facts of the matter - but i can live a good life and find contentment- but you have to work on it " self acceptance" .
Old 04-10-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I've had some hours to process and try to find acceptance.. I'm on my way. It's often a habit of mine to let the principals of AA fly away in pursuit of my own goals.

RDBplus3- I LOVE what you said "A lot of opportunities are missed while in a frantic state of pursuing something that may be out-of-sync with your personality, specific attributes, etc." This opportunity just was not meant for me, and I'm gradually becoming okay with it. God has bigger & better plans...
Old 04-11-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'd like to also point out... if your join date is your sobriety month, you've also been adjusting to sobriety this semester! I was a really dedicated student too and I understand the feeling of disappointment. But try not to compare yourself to others. Instead just look at you, and not just the one facet that you're not as pleased with. Look at how you're doing as a full person and be proud. I quit in February and frankly if I'd been in school I think I would have had to drop a class or two just to have the time to deal with my recovery. You're tackling a problem that is extremely difficult and requires a huge amount of will and strength. And simultaneously still performing well enough that you were at least a candidate for the outstanding student list. Round of applause for you, seriously.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fantail-

Thank you, that means a lot.