Notices

Withdrawal help

Old 04-08-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal help

Hi,

So it all started back in sept last yr. Ive been a beer binge drinker for many yrs now, usually only on fri and sat night - and always got bad anxiety the next day, which was transitioning into withdrawal symptoms, I think. Any way after a horrid breakup with my gf a week prior and even heavier binge drinking evening - I was sitting in my apartment around midday the day after, with the usual anxiety, sweats, fatigue after a big night on the town, (this time drinking red bull vodkas - which i dont usually do).....I suddenly had an intense feeling that my body was shutting down - almost a shock type sensation, didnt feel like a panic attack - really felt like I was gonna die. It lasted probably 3o mins then my body calmed down although afterwards felt like my memory and cognition had been affected and this remained. Anyway for the next few days I had this similar feeling once a day for 2 days afterwards - that feeling like my body was in shock and then always after it felt like there was damage done, almost like a stroke. I saw a doctor who took blood and insisted it was withdrawals as my liver and vitamin levels all were fine. Anyway, I stopped drinking so much and only drank beer (stupid i know). I didnt have these feelings of 'shock' and 'mental changes' until nov when i went out to a wine festival, and then drank beer at a oktoberfest party (again mixing drinks) the next day felt rough obviously, then again that evening whilst walking back from dinner (i could only manage 1 wine at dinner) i got that horrible feeling like i was in shock and extreme confusion, memory issues, irritibility, agitation was really noticeable too - but it seemed worse than the first episode 2 months earlier, I was in such a state I headed straight for the ER but when I got there I'd calmed down - though still felt mentally lethargic...so didnt bother and slept it off. Anyway, for the next week or so i'd have these really confused spells, almost like seizures, with trembling that would pass after 30 mins or so, with my memory being the most effected - I was terrified that I had Wernike Korsakoff or something so I went to hospital for 3 days and had MRI, EEG, blood tests etc!! They said the same - that it was withdrawal symptoms etc. Any way 5 mnths on I still feel as though my brain hasnt recovered...Im still always depressed, have a sort of depersonalisation sensation, constant 'headache activity' like my brain isnt settled or something...Ive had follow up mri, PET, eeg recently all 'normal'. About once a month will get those same intense feelings like my body is in shock and i feel like im having a small seizure - no body spasms just like my brain is on overload, always accompanied by tinnitus. I havnt drunk a single drop since nov, the second 'episode'....too scared too.

So after numerous doctor visits the closest thing we can come up with is that its a sort of protracted withdrawal where possibly theres a neurotransmitter, GABA deficiency, excitotoxicity issue with major depression...the thing is it seems to be getting worse....almost like my mind is still in a excitotoxic, shock state and this is still affecting my neurotransmitters, HPA....also the withdrawal mixed with the emotional trauma i was experiencing with the break up could have put me into a major depression, PTSD type mind set.

Ive been taking herbs for excitotoxicity, N-acetyl carnitine, taurine, magnesium, vit B to modulate my neurotransmitters etc

Any help? Does this sound like a protracted withdrawal with a bit of PTSD thrown in? Or something more serious?

Thanks for any help

-------------------------------------------------------------
Male, 31 weekend binger 10 yrs
Old 04-08-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

sounds like untreated alcoholism.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First, I am happy to see that you have sought medical advice as to your symptoms. Next, there has been much discussion of PAWS (post-acute withdrawal syndrome) on the forum recently. One recent post sounds similar to what you have described -

"I've been doing research on PAWS today because I have it. I'm 6 months sober now, but I feel terrible a lot of the time. I have lost my ability to spell, I often write a completely different word to what I intended, I lose my train of thought mid-sentance, I just feel like an old lady thats lost her marbles - I'm 28!
I also still get really dizzy spells, and nearly passed out yesterday. And I'm still getting those awful electric shocks in my brain from time to time. At 6 months it seems like I should be over it by now. I know it can take up to 2 years, but I find it hard to accept that I've done this much damage to myself.
I really want to throw in the towel sometimes, it feels like I'm worse off now I've stopped drinking.
Sorry for the ranty post, I just needed to get that off my chest.
"

I have attached the link to the thread for futher reading:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...riences-6.html
Old 04-10-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Shane, my situation is very similar. I quit drinking a few weeks before you did and have been going through the same things.... All the supplements I've tried have made things worse, and doctors visits haven't been of any help. Some days I feel a little better and am trying to keep in mind that any time less than a year is still considered to be early sobriety. I really think this will all clear up on its own eventually.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey,

Sounds a lot like PAWS to me. I defiantly have gone through all those symptoms. Mine leveled out in the 6-9 month range, but i've heard of them lasting longer. Stay sober, reach out, and try to get some exercise.

Congrats on staying sober.

Clayton
Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
sounds like untreated alcoholism.
Hi sugarbear, can you elaborate on this?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Shane,

I have been down this road also. Early in sobriety I was very clumsy, I would bump into things all the time, I could barely even hold a fork when I was eating, and I would always drop my keys every time I pulled them out of my pocket. I also experienced a very challenging mental period where I started to think I was going crazy - I almost felt like I was on another planet.

Today I feel way more stable, and I think part of that is due to attending AA, keeping a strong recovery plan, and using a support group and therapy to work through my problems. Do you use any of these tools to help with your issues? Have you thought about reaching out for help and companionship from the sober community?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Shane, born 1981? I was..

Anyway, I had the same feelings and iv'e posted on them before, I still have them but I think it's getting better...

I'm 8 1/2 months sober atm and the last 4 months have been so hard, the de-personalisation, feeling spaced out and like im in a dream, panic almost all the time, severe depression and just feeling like I was going nuts...

I have read alot about PAWS and I hope that's what it is... I used to be so smart and now I still have trouble concentrating and issues with short term memory. I'm also interested in this.

All the best mate