Notices

A year ago last Easter

Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A year ago last Easter

Although not actually quite a year ago, last Easter was the day I finally went to the doctor and started to discuss my 1/5th a day whiskey habit. For the past year, I have been under my docs care for meds and have been making feeble attempts at trying to quit. After a weeklong bender, my last drink was 8 days ago. I believe my mindset is different this time and am much more committed to staying stopped. I am feeling better and getting much more done at work. I am also not blacking out each night and not having to sneak around my wife. A long road ahead, I know, but I think I have a good start.

Hope everyone has a good Easter with family and friends.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by rockindog View Post
Although not actually quite a year ago, last Easter was the day I finally went to the doctor and started to discuss my 1/5th a day whiskey habit. For the past year, I have been under my docs care for meds and have been making feeble attempts at trying to quit. After a weeklong bender, my last drink was 8 days ago. I believe my mindset is different this time and am much more committed to staying stopped. I am feeling better and getting much more done at work. I am also not blacking out each night and not having to sneak around my wife. A long road ahead, I know, but I think I have a good start.

Hope everyone has a good Easter with family and friends.
Glad to hear you have a few days under your belt now. It sounds like quite a roller coaster ride this past year. Do you have a plan to turn it around this new Easter year?

Have a wonderful weekend
Old 03-31-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
Glad to hear you have a few days under your belt now. It sounds like quite a roller coaster ride this past year. Do you have a plan to turn it around this new Easter year?

Have a wonderful weekend
This past year has been hell. The last few months have turned into drinking throughout the day, not performing at work, problems at home, etc. I think snowball sums it up. I have the support of friends and family, some of who have sobered up the past couple of years. My plan? Don't drink and talk a lot with those who care about and support me. My doc at my last appt said it was time for in patient come about June when my work schedule would allow. My goal, prove to him that will not be needed. I simply cannot and do not want to drink anymore. I can't make it work any longer.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're giving it another go. Never give up!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
9.11.10 I started Living

stick with the winners...One day at a time, you can make it, you just got to believe...
Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I recently said I was checking off the board, but, I'm back in. You will be hearing more from me.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe you can do this 'dog - glad you're sticking around too

D
Old 03-31-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know it is only 8 days, but for me, that is huge. But this morning as I was getting ready to head into the office, I walked back to the bathroom to finishg getting to go and it was quite nice knowing that my wife was not following me asking me how much I had drank, was I OK to drive, etc. One of the little perks of staying sober, at least for a short time.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Rockin glad you,re still having a go. I struggled for years to get a foothold, but now am in my second year sober. Despite my misgivings I have found life so much more livable that I had dreamed. Sobriety keeps on giving, drinking doesn,t.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Not only do I think you can do this...you ARE doing this. Keep doing what you're doing and don't doubt yourself, dog, this can be the end of it if you want it to be.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

We all had to start somewhere. After nearly 30 years, my body was telling me I'd had enough...I finally listened and I'll be four years sober this coming June. I wish you the best.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

10 Days today. It's been over 8 years since I have done that. Still thinking about drinking, but the reasons not to are stronger than the the urge to go across the street and blow $15.