Notices

Alcohol is NOT the same as other drugs period!

Old 03-30-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
High on Life

Being an addict and a alcoholic, I think that you will change your opinion once alcohol stops being a problem for you. Right now it just sounds like a bitter rant from someone who is stuck in a predicament and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. If you were a drug user, most of your friends would be drugs users and you find that freeing yourself from that life is not as easy as you make it sound. And when you really stop drinking, you will realize that everyone isn't drinking as much as you really think.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

alcohol is accepted in society and it it is perfectly legal. but to some people who cannot control it, should not be accepted in their lifes. i do not see the connection with alcohol and crack, pot or meth. two different things.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Although I was very young in the 70's I do remember drinking to be much more acceptable. I remember my Uncles bar where people would get "one more for the road" & then drive home wasted.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

People who think alcohol is accepted are simply not facing the reality.
Addiction is (temporary) insanity and or escape from reality.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

i do not see the connection with alcohol and crack, pot or meth. two different things.
Why? Apart from acceptance and legality (the grandfather clause) what is the difference. They are all mind altering chemicals with different degree of harm to individual or society.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by pravchaw View Post
Why? Apart from acceptance and legality (the grandfather clause) what is the difference. They are all mind altering chemicals with different degree of harm to individual or society.
I believe pot to be just as harmful as the "harder" drugs like cocaine/heroin. It alters people brain chemistry & I have known a few "pot heads" who resorted to stealing to support their natural herb habit.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wouldn't matter if it was legal or not, I 'd find it and abuse it and so will any alcoholic addicts in this world. Bootlegging would just start again. Hidden breweries just like meth labs.

I know lots of social drinkers. I don't know social meth users or coke users.

I think it would be rare that someone just went into a lounge and said can I have one hit of meth or coke and go home. I don't know, maybe that's why they take it so lightly. There are people who can just go out for one drink and enjoy themselves and drink it like a beverage, Just not me.

I find food dangerous, I abuse chocolate, it may cause me high cholesterol and a heart attack but I can't stop the Betty Crocker commercials.lol

Wish I could. Well anyways just putting a different spin on it. I do however know where you are coming from. Thanks for the thread.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
jkb

Originally Posted by trent333 View Post
I read here awhile back about someone asking if people thought alcohol was the same as other drugs. It isn't. I'm going to replace the word alcohol with other drugs so you can see the insanity our society lives in.

I went to my parents place the other day I haven't seen them in awhile so they cooked me a nice dinner and then we had a couple lines of coke to relax and visit afterwards.

When I watch TV I usually see at least one but sometimes many commercials for black tar heroin. Most of them have attractive women jumping around smiling or a perfect beach with a young couple relaxing.

When I went to Christmas dinner about 80% of the people in the room were smoking crack within varying amounts.

I can pay with my credit card to get my cocaine plus I earn air miles that way.

When my Grandfather died we all went back to my dads place after the funeral and most of us ended up smoking a little PCP. The same thing usually happens after a first born child I find.

On my way home from work I see at least 10 different places selling or serving people cocaine.

At most places in town you can smoke all the weed you want as long as you take your last hit by 2 or 3 and take a cab home to avoid trouble. The bottom line is no I dont think alcohol is like any other drug although it most certainly is one. The fact of it being legal and socially acceptable what ever that means, makes it one of the hardest drugs of all to quit. It is second only to an eating disorder because food is basically a concoction of drugs needed to survive. Im 22 and being young and upset I want to tell you all im ashamed of societies view on alcohol and honestly believe that it only exists because of the evil forces at work on this planet. There is no other way to explain this insane ,unforgiving, and ruthless drug. God bless you all my friends.
Actually the part in bold is 100% true where I live.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I don't know. Alcohol was my drug of choice, but I feel like I have a lot in common with someone who's been addicted to another drug. I certainly wouldn't wall myself off behind a big "I'm different" sign; one of those other addicts might have some valuable advice and support to offer.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I think the way people view drugs and alcohol as different is a bit misguided. I think alcohol has become a bit of a joke in society, people find drunks funny and drug addicts scary, which is a warped view really. I bet the figures for people killed by drink drivers are pretty high. I have never found it funny even when I was drinking. I find it amazing that smoking is seen as such an anti social thing to do but drinking and driving is almost brushed off as something you can get away with if you're lucky. That's pretty scary. All mind altering substances have the ability to be abused and can lead to damaging effects and some drugs can be used socially and responsibly like drinking can be. It's just rare, in both cases.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thought provoking topic, and your scenarios actually made me chuckle. Maybe one "benefit" of alcohol's ubiquitous acceptance is that treatment is also more accepted? Today, I actually came on here with a question about admitting to my family my addiction to drugs, or to keep it at alcohol because that doesn't "sound" as bad. Either way, I'm determined to get help. But I think my family is more willing to understand and less disappointed that I'm get help as an alcoholic than a drug addict.

In my opinion, alcohol is one of the worst and most dangerous drugs out there. I don't see many potheads having outbursts of violence. And, at least for me, alcohol has been the real gateway to other drug use anyways, because it lowers (or completely obliterates) inhibitions and the ability to respect consequences or listen to better judgment.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

The fact of it being legal and socially acceptable what ever that means, makes it one of the hardest drugs of all to quit.
Only if you're an alcoholic. Most people can take it or leave it. From what I gather in your post you're trying to place some of the blame on alcohol. Until you face the facts that the problem lies within you, you're in for a long fight.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

leadfoot, I agree that the problem is within me. All im saying is my family members don't do any other drugs out in the open at least at family gatherings anyways. I know that its easy to place the blame on something or anything else. Ive regretfully experimented with certain drugs I shouldn't have although quitting them was extremely easy because the media and family and friends aren't doing other hard drugs other than alcohol all the time and on top of that offering you free drugs( beers or cocktails) in every mourning or celebratory situation.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think it is a shame that MJ is becoming legal. I went to a week of AA meetings in Aspen and a good percentage of the folks in the meetings were trying to quit smoking weed. What does that say about weed if people have classified their own use of it as addictive and enough of a problem to go to an AA meeting? Eeeeh. Flying out from the airport was a nightmare: the guy at check in was stoned and it took forever for him to process our bags.
I smoked a lot during the hippie era and generally if I had a joint in the morning, my whole day was shot. I never got anything done. Maybe it is not a "destructive" drug, but I call it the do-nothing drug.
I think the classification and comparison of drugs and alcohol is a quandary. The fact is that most people don't become addicted to alcohol. I saw the huge label on a bottle of wine that my husband was drinking: "alcohol is addictive" and thought: not really. Not for everyone. Not for him. But it sure was, for me. It would be far more accurate in my way of thinking if the warning label had read:
Alcohol is dangerous and highly addictive for about 10% of the population. Drink with extreme caution and be alert for the warning signs of addiction.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
jkb

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
[B]I think it is a shame that MJ is becoming legal. I went to a week of AA meetings in Aspen and a good percentage of the folks in the meetings were trying to quit smoking weed. What does that say about weed if people have classified their own use of it as addictive and enough of a problem to go to an AA meeting? Eeeeh. Flying out from the airport was a nightmare: the guy at check in was stoned and it took forever for him to process our bags.
I smoked a lot during the hippie era and generally if I had a joint in the morning, my whole day was shot. I never got anything done. Maybe it is not a "destructive" drug, but I call it the do-nothing drug.
I think the classification and comparison of drugs and alcohol is a quandary. The fact is that most people don't become addicted to alcohol. I saw the huge label on a bottle of wine that my husband was drinking: "alcohol is addictive" and thought: not really. Not for everyone. Not for him. But it sure was, for me. It would be far more accurate in my way of thinking if the warning label had read:
Alcohol is dangerous and highly addictive for about 10% of the population. Drink with extreme caution and be alert for the warning signs of addiction.
I disagree with this only because MJ is probably only addictive to 10% of the population as well. I know it is a drug I can take or leave... never cared for it. Alot of my "pothead friends" can take or leave a drink. I feel it is a far less destructive drug than alcohol. Just my opinion. However, this is a topic that lots of people disagree on I suppose... oh well and it isnt the point of the OP.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I loved your post, trent333
I recently read the book (forgive me if I have the name wrong, I don't have it with me), the easyway to quit drinking. I was sure it was going to be BS, but it helped me tremendously! The author talks about the brainwashing about alcohol. I'm starting to read it again. Best of luck to you!
Renée
Old 03-31-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

IMO, "pot heads" tend to be complainers. For example, I've known some who claim it's natural & safer than alcohol. But then cry a river when arrested for possession or fail a drug test for a job. Weed stays in your system for weeks & that makes it a very dangerous drug. Pot addicts can also get very violent & the drug has much more effect than just the "munchies". The most dangerous drug is the one that destroys our lives the most.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

The argument that something is "natural" and therefor "safe" doesn't work for me. Strychnine is natural, not safe. Opium is natural, and physically addicting. Tobacco, natural. And alcohol is very natural as well. Sugar + yeast = alcohol + CO2. It's been used for many a millennia.

By "natural", do people mean fewer steps involved with making it ready for consumption? So, does having fewer human hands in its preparation make something safer? It makes it more accessible. Mushrooms are natural. Some will kill you, some make you hallucinate. If spoiled eggs had psilocybin in them, what impact would it have on the total number of hallucinogen users out there? I bet it would go up. In the early stages of recovery, isn't limiting the accessibility of your DOC helpful at all?

That said, I've never thought it was the legislature's job to protect me from myself, especially while limiting the freedoms of those who don't have problems with addiction. What is the budget of the DEA vs. government funded inpatient programs available?

In all, "natural" does not mean "safe" (argument of convenience, lazy potheads :P), "natural" does make something more accessible, and accessibility does make it harder to quit. But the government's job shouldn't be to make things inaccessible to all, it should be to make more options like treatment available to any.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
jkb

Originally Posted by GWillikers View Post
The argument that something is "natural" and therefor "safe" doesn't work for me. Strychnine is natural, not safe. And alcohol is very natural as well. Sugar + yeast = alcohol + CO2. It's been used for many a millennia.

By "natural", do people mean fewer steps involved with making it ready for consumption? So, does having fewer human hands in its preparation make something safer? It makes it more accessible. Mushrooms are natural. Some will kill you, some make you hallucinate. If spoiled eggs had psilocybin in them, what impact would it have on the total number of hallucinogen users out there? I bet it would go up. In the early stages of recovery, isn't limiting the accessibility of your DOC helpful at all?

That said, I've never thought it was the legislature's job to protect me from myself, especially while limiting the freedoms of those who don't have problems with addiction. What is the budget of the DEA vs. government funded inpatient programs available?

In all, "natural" does not mean "safe" (argument of convenience, lazy potheads :P), "natural" does make something more accessible, and accessibility does make it harder to quit. But the government's job shouldn't be to make things inaccessible to all, it should be to make more options like treatment available to any.
I agree with the bold (and SF is my hometown... not over the 49er loss yet Sorry that had nothing to do with anything.) But, anyway, in my opinion it should be legal but, other than my voting on the issue no one really cares what I think.... Oh well.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I used to think there was a big difference between drugs and alcohol. Alcohol is legal and drugs were not. I never got into drugs and never liked them, but loved my booze. From the time I quit drinking up til today, I see a change and my opinion has changed. Prescription drugs are legal and people become addicted to them. It is a huge problem. Pharmaceutical companies are becoming rich off of our addictions whether acquired legally or off the street illegally. The difference between booze and prescription drugs, one you pick up at a Liquor store and one you pick up at a Pharmacy. I know many people who have been prescribed drugs, taken it as prescribed and became addicted to it. Knowing what I know, I will never drink again and I will be very care if ever prescribed pain medication. There have been times I've been prescribed it and I've turned it down. I felt I never needed it and I'm leery of it. Before, I used to fill exactly as the OP. I never liked drugs, never used them, but now, I feel that we are entering into another arena when it comes to booze and drugs.