Notices

my job won't let me get help

Old 03-29-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

https://www.ohiobar.org/forpublic/re...anuse-452.aspx

Here's an excerpt from this article:

"Q: Is information about pilot’s alcohol abuse made public?
A: No. Pilots must be assured that their treatment information is held in strictest confidence. Medical record keeping is left to the medical professionals directly involved in the individual case where privileged communication is legally protected. There is no label identifying a participating pilot."

I'm certain other employees would be given similar rights.

Why not check into what goes on where you are? Human Relations, doctor, internet search for your area, even calling AA (some areas have specific meetings for specific areas--I know lawyers have their own meetings near me as well as medical professionals, federal employees have a meeting where their security clearance allows them to enter, even late night wait staff have their own middle of the night meetings for after their shifts are over!).
Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

If a pilot was fearful of coming clean about his/her alcoholism... that would mean that there are untreated alcoholics flying airplanes.

Not good

If the law states that a pilot can be terminated if they are found to be alcoholic then that is the law .... and should be examined. I still don't want them flying my plane untreated !
"Keeping their job" is secondary to the safety of the public.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-30-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You don't have to go to a doctor to get sober. You don't have to go to AA to get sober either. I'm sober over two years and I've done neither of these things. What I did do is stop drinking and try to fix the damage I created. And I also through meditation and mindfulness found a way to be comfortable in my own skin and to find joy in this life.

Stop drinking and get busy living life.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I really appreciate your responses and have considered each and every one. How much of my fears are reality-based and how many are excuses not to get help, I'm not sure. My original post was very secretive because of the shame involved in being an advance practice nurse caring for high-risk patients while hungover and drunk. The guilt is unbearable. The medical community is full of addicts, so I was hoping to find someone here who could tell me their license was not taken away when they revealed their secret. I desperately need medical help because of the ravages alcohol has caused to my health--I am a ticking time bomb. It was said I wouldn't have to tell a doctor about my alcoholism, but a few lab tests would reveal clearly the effects of alcohol. My liver function tests are abnormal, my lipids are sky high, my liver/pancreas is enlarged, my blood pressure is outrageous. I say all of this because these are all alcohol- related and if I lie, the doctor's going to go on a wild goose chase for cancer, metabolic issues, etc. I know a logical person would ask, "You mean you would risk death rather than ask for help?" It just comes down to I cannot get better if I am unemployed and going down the tubes financially. I work for myself and am paid in cash so I cannot get paid time off. If my patients found out I was an alcoholic, even a recovered alcoholic I would probably lose half if not all of my business. So, my plan at this time is to read rational recovery today and make the big plan I've read about on this site. When I am one month sober I will see my doctor and tell her I am a recovering alcoholic and hope for the best about my license. I'm still unsure about the AA meetings, but will look into meetings for medical professionals. Thanks again for your advice.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Whatever you discuss with your doctor is confidential. The doctor is not going to report you...
Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You can withhold seeking help on the slight chance that it will come back to impact your career, or you can do nothing and face the high probability that alcoholism will ruin your career for you.

I wish you the best.