Notices

Maybe a visit to the ER - Scared

Old 03-19-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Maybe a visit to the ER - Scared

Well let me put it like this. In a few hours my father will be getting up, and I may ask him on his way to work if he would drop me off at the E.R. As I am trying to listen to my body, and something just isn't right.

I am scared of a few things though.

One, I have asked him this before, but right as he was walking out the door to go to work. He asked me if I could call my friend to take me, but my friend usually has his phone off when sleeping, and does not get up till later in the day. Plus, he kind of 'huffs' when I mention I am thinking I am having bad health problems.

Two, last time I went to the E.R. with anything alcohol related. I told them I thought I poisoned myself by drinking too much "at a party", which an ambulance came and took me. Was not completely honest about my drinking habit or usage, which I think they figured out with the blood work. Put me on I.V. for a while, monitored my vitals (which I got bored and started changing my breathing pattern to raise and lower the stuff on the monitor). Then sent me home basically later that day with the diagnoses of 'Alcohol Abuse'.... how embarrassing.

I just don't know what to do at the moment. I am scared to ask... I am scared to go... I have actually become scared about detoxing. I want to go, and I will be honest with them... I will tell them I have still been drinking, but in hopes of tapering off until my internal doctors appointment which isn't till next month.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think no considerations trump getting a professional medical opinion if you think you need it, soberhope

do the right thing by yourself and get checked out

D
Old 03-19-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Soberhope... If you really need a very frank advice, please go to ER immediately. Do not put it off.. Do not wait till your internal Doctor's appointment next month. Do not wait for any one to drop you there. Take a cab. Tell the ER staff whole truth, nothing else but truth.You will be fine and you will be able to start a new life.

Finally, on your plan to taper off , this is the most bitter truth. It does not work. All us were running after this mirage and never found any water . Ask anyone who has recovered. Alcohol can neither be controlled nor be tapered off. It may sound pretty ugly, but this is the truth.. Only one in millions might be able to do it.. But there is no point in trying to find out whether you are one in millions.. By that time , it might be too late..

Wishing you all the best for ER visit and just do it .Get a safe detox under medical supervision. Do it once for all and please do not think about tapering.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by llastchance8 View Post
Hello Soberhope... If you really need a very frank advice, please go to ER immediately. Do not put it off.. Do not wait till your internal Doctor's appointment next month. Do not wait for any one to drop you there. Take a cab. Tell the ER staff whole truth, nothing else but truth.You will be fine and you will be able to start a new life.

Finally, on your plan to taper off , this is the most bitter truth. It does not work. All us were running after this mirage and never found any water . Ask anyone who has recovered. Alcohol can neither be controlled nor be tapered off. It may sound pretty ugly, but this is the truth.. Only one in millions might be able to do it.. But there is no point in trying to find out whether you are one in millions.. By that time , it might be too late..

Wishing you all the best for ER visit and just do it .Get a safe detox under medical supervision. Do it once for all and please do not think about tapering.
I will be going, but do not have the money for the cab. Asked my father if he would drop me off, and he said he would, which I think we will be leaving shortly as he heads to work.

I was trying to taper off, because as I am not sure if I would have bad withdrawals, and was scared of just quitting 100% with my doctors appointment so far away.

I am not sure really how much of a detox they will be willing to offer me at the E.R. here. We use to have a medical type detox facility, but I learned after searching for it online... that it was closed down many years ago.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zapped

I think you having anxiety or panic issues. i had these for about 6 months...some medicine they gave me helped..and then listening to music and singing along or reading out loud or breathing slow helped. never had the problem again once I knew how to deal with it. tell the doctor you had some substance issues and he'll help you out I'm sure.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can really understand and appreciate your position. As I am not sure about what kind of hospital's ER, you are planning to visit, I can not be sure.. However, if you tell them the truth they will treat you with the best possible care.

Regarding your worry about bad withdrawals, this is a very common problem. All of us had the same. But I decided to leave it to my GP and he gave me some medicines which were costing less than the price of one drink...It worked for me and it may work for you. Please trust the ER staff and Doctors completely. and yes, no other person can suffer the pains of withdrawals for you.. You have to go thorugh those pains yoursevles .There will be discomfort and we must be willing to go through those pains for our better future.. Once you will get through those initial discomforts while detoxing under medical supervision, you will realize that the pains of withdrawals , were worth suffering to enjoy the most lovely sober life.. I have experienced it and I can vouch for it.

Best of luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hope you're ok and at the ER. They WILL detox you, alcohol is considered a medical emergency, but may send you to an official detox center after a day or 2 and you're stabilized. I've actually been turned down from detox facilities because my BAC was too high, they sent me to the hospital first.

Don't be scared of detoxing at the ER or a detox facility- they usually give you meds so that you're safe and its a LOT better than trying to do it at home.

A word about "tapering"- while it will reduce some of the withdrawal symptoms, it can be very, very dangerous if you have been drinking a lot.
I was drinking 2 pints of vodka a day for about a week (I was a binge drinker), and decided to taper to 1 1/2 pints, then 1 pint, and then 1/2 pint at which point I really wasn't feeling that horrible and then really had a grand mal seizure. Not trying to scare you, but this is serious stuff. I had felt way worse from detoxes before this an this was my first seizure ever and you won't see it coming or even know you had one.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

how did it work out soberhope?

D
Old 03-19-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Praying you get the help you need and deserve....good thoughts with you!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and thing.... I am unsure how to respond really, but here I go...

@Sparky78 - they didn't really detox me... gave me one bag of saline and considered my problem ghasteric alcoholic or something. Prescribed me Pepcid tablets... once a day at evening. Which what they gave me at the E.R. well by the time I got home... I did have a decent BM.

@Dee74 - Basically told them the truth, was given one bag of saline and the prescription above for the time being. Told them of pains in both right and left sides, but was only given what was mentioned above.

@Kimmers - thank you, but I am unsure if I got the help I needed. I am on disability and this will be the second time 'Alcohol / Alcoholic' have been used in my diagnose. So more worried about my time when my review comes up.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So glad you got checked out! If your BP & heart rate were out of control from detoxing they would have kept you. We can't give medical advice but it sounds like gastritis which is a good reason not to drink! Don't worry about being labeled- alcohol withdrawal gives you anxiety so just focus on getting through the next few days without drinking (everything seems WAY worse now than it really is). There is time later to work on the rest. I don't know what the nature of your disability is, but many people have medical conditions that render them disabled and alre also alcoholics/addicts.

If you start feeling realy bad, don't hesitate to go back. I have severe anxiety issues apart from alcoholism, sometimes it helps me to go to CVS and check my BP so I am not freaking out. You can do this!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not meaning to bump this up. I am wondering... and I have no clue what kind of test the doctors in the E.R. performed on me with my blood. I am not sure if it was just a normal blood test (maybe alcohol type blood reading), or a LFT? I know a doctor can map out how much you been drinking usually within the 30 days or something.

I am asking this because I am wondering if I have any right to call the hospital itself, and request this information. As the doctor really didn't say much to me, but did ask how much I drank a day. Kind of chuckled when I said one a day, but I even told him my 'ONE' was usually a 40 o.z. malt.

I mean if they performed a LFT and it was crazy high... I mean they would have at-least mentioned that... right? I really don't like how the doctors here usually treat you... especially in the E.R.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have you been dry the last few days? What are you doing to insure that you don't end up back in ER ?

Are you hitting the AA meetings in your area?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-23-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do you have a family dr? It sounds like you need more answers and talking to your family dr would be a good place to start.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Have you been dry the last few days? What are you doing to insure that you don't end up back in ER ?

Are you hitting the AA meetings in your area?

All the best.

Bob R
I am doing my best or in other words... 'No Comment' at this time.

I have contacted (called & emailed) AA local chapter and asked which one seems closest to me, since I do not drive. The calls never returned, but finally got a response via e-mail. Seems like they don't care much, or maybe just had a bad day. I am thinking of just going to a NA meeting... I mean Alcoholics can go to NA meetings as well.

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Do you have a family dr? It sounds like you need more answers and talking to your family dr would be a good place to start.
No... I am 28 with no insurance for years, which just now I have medicare only. Many doctors here don't accept that alone anymore . I do have a doc appointment still next month which I hope goes well.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Beaufort, Bluffton, Hilton Head Island, Walterboro (843) 322-5903, 758-5921 or (888) 534-0192

Charleston (843) 723-9633

Columbia (803) 254-5301

Greenville (864) 233-6454

Myrtle Beach (843) 445-7119

Area 62 - South Carolina Alcoholics Anonymous

Area 62 - Find a Meeting

If no one answered, it means there are no people volunteering to do service work and they could use some help. So sorry about this!

Try calling again, someone may know where your meetings are!
Old 03-23-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
If no one answered, it means there are no people volunteering to do service work and they could use some help. So sorry about this!

Try calling again, someone may know where your meetings are!
I got a reply to most local places via email, but now I just need to find a way to make it to some if I do... or if I don't end up going the NA route. I don't drive... and walking puts alot of pressure on my back and legs. I have a friend who said he join me if could in NA meetings, but kind of reluctant to ask seeing as he still drinks. Most NA believe you can drink if that is not your problem, but he is one of the ones who I end up drinking 'home made shine' with. He battles his narcotic addiction with activities... and one of those has end up being trying to make shine.