Notices

Fear of AA Meeting

Old 03-19-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

Originally Posted by Strength11 View Post
I did end up going tonight. Honestly I am so glad I did. I felt so inspired listening to others stories. And actually speaking up and saying that I am an alcoholic became reality to me. It was an overwhelming feeling to admit that.

Thanks for everyone's words of encouragement. That is honestly part of what pushed me to face my fear and give it a try.
Hi Stength, I am pretty new to sobriety and going to meetings but want to tell you I totally relate to your last post. Just to hear the similarities in 'our' stories at meetings puts everything into perspective. We are not as unique as we once thought, are we? And the relief we get when we finally say out loud in front of people "I am an alcoholic". Just last week after not having anything to say at prior 2-3 meetings I raised my hand and said "Hi, I am Patrick and I am an alcoholic" and that was it, just had to say it and sure enough it made me feel much better inside. Key is to keep going, no set time period, not a life sentence, just as long as you are staying sober and getting or 'giving' something from meetings it will be worth every minute spent in the rooms(and outside the rooms with new friends if you choose).
Great job

Patrick
Old 03-19-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by theHomerSimpson View Post
Hi Stength, I am pretty new to sobriety and going to meetings but want to tell you I totally relate to your last post. Just to hear the similarities in 'our' stories at meetings puts everything into perspective. We are not as unique as we once thought, are we? And the relief we get when we finally say out loud in front of people "I am an alcoholic". Just last week after not having anything to say at prior 2-3 meetings I raised my hand and said "Hi, I am Patrick and I am an alcoholic" and that was it, just had to say it and sure enough it made me feel much better inside. Key is to keep going, no set time period, not a life sentence, just as long as you are staying sober and getting or 'giving' something from meetings it will be worth every minute spent in the rooms(and outside the rooms with new friends if you choose).
Great job

Patrick
Great stuff, Patrick.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey, great! Being willing to listen to, and to trust, the experience of those who have gone before is one of the keys to successful recovery.

Glad you made the meeting. Keep coming back--I suggest you try other meetings, too--the more, the better, early on. Every meeting will be just a little bit different and every one will reinforce what you need to do. I went to 90 meetings in 90 days--which isn't a rule or anything, but it certainly got me off to a good start.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

That's wonderful that you went to that meeting - such a big and important first step in starting your journey. I identify with what you said about announcing that you're an alcoholic. it sort of solidifies what you have always known and puts you right with where the action of recovery is. There is no waffling and getting on and off the idea of being an alcoholic. I found it liberating and freeing to admit and accept where I was. What freedom in what others might see as a shameful act. It's quite the opposite!

Keep going, checking out other meetings, talking to others, getting phone numbers and learning about the steps. You're never alone.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Way to go, Strength!