Notices

St. Patrick's Day.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

St. Patrick's Day.

If you all have Facebook accounts, you might have noticed that St. Patrick's Day is the most irritating holiday of the year on social networking. If there is ever a day to brag about binge-drinking, apparently today is it. And let us not forget the highly annoying equation of an entire ethnicity with alcoholism. Haha, nothing funnier than that! (sarcasm).

Vent here if you like!

p.s. On the positive note: I am having a lunch for friends to celebrate the day. I'm making corned beef from scratch, it's been sitting in brine in my refrigerator for the past week!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I deleted my Facebook years ago. But, I still have a presence on other social networks, and I have to agree that nothing else is more irritating than the way people brag about how many beers they can down, or what bottle of classy liquor they will consume on any given weekend (sometimes weekday). Because of that, I stay clear of social media Friday-Saturday nights and usually read or watch the news instead!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't noticed it this year or in recent years - maybe it matters less as the years go on?

D
Old 03-16-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It probably does matter less as years go on, I'm 20 so everyone I follow on these social media networks are young college kids looking for the next fix...
Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not only that but since I quit drinking I am noticing how many of my female friends on facebook like to joke about how much wine they drink and how hilarious it is. So tempted to just delete my profile but I like to stay in touch with relatives that live out of town.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hmm, most of my Facebook friends post about world and local news.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I unfriend people who's posts I find annoying, bothersome, inane or inappropriate. Even if I like the person. I don't need to have their life shoveled onto my profile.

I'm pretty sure you can also keep people as FB friends, but make it so their posts don't hit your home page, but you can go check out their page if you care to.

For exactly the reasons people have brought up in this thread, I have made sure in my St Pat's posts and shares I have only used things that have nothing to do with drinking.

Sharing blessings, clean jokes, Irish quotes and words of wisdom, and pics and graphics that don't involve mugs.

Ha ha, I'm taking back St Patrick's day! Trying to set a good example, and remind people there is more to St Pat's day and the Irish than drinking and shamrock shakes.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fhl41 View Post
Not only that but since I quit drinking I am noticing how many of my female friends on facebook like to joke about how much wine they drink and how hilarious it is. So tempted to just delete my profile but I like to stay in touch with relatives that live out of town.
totally agree with you

I don't use my account anymore as so many people almost brag about their alcohol consumption.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Funny, on the big drinking holiday days, those were the days I would consume less. I figured I would let the "amateurs" at it for a day, and I would just relax a bit myself. Some twisted sort of superiority complex thing going. Then of course I would hit it hard every other day of the year.

Rode my bike past the bars last night as I was coming home from work. Packed, lineups, etc. I wonder how much green vomit there will be this morning...yikes.

Have a Happy St. Patrick's Day.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I de-activated my account that day. I did not drink and since I am in early recovery did not want to be tempted. I haven't re-activated it. One of my friends posted a drunk photo at 8am at a bar. That was enough for me.