Notices

So Now I Know What I'm Hearing....

Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So Now I Know What I'm Hearing....

...or at least I have the beginnings of a better understanding I hope....

I just did my weekly shop at the supermarket and I thought that I'd be all strong as I passed the wine section but what happened? The voice! "Go on, just get one, one won't matter, in fact you probably deserve it cos you've decided not to drink and even if you just get one bottle that's better than buying three. It's ok. Go on. Buy one. Just one."

Wow. I actually struggled, nearly bought just one bottle, but I didn't. I took a look at my son, and carried on down the aisle and got some sparkling water and some juice that I like instead.

This is only my third day so I need not to fall down now.

The alcohol sections come up quite soon at this particular supermarket, plus it's closest to me and is cheaper than most of the others. But, I think I may have to switch and go to another one that's a bit further away and that costs a bit more overall for a while because I know that the wine/beer/spirits section is actually more avoidable, it's right at the end of everything else.

To be honest, if I hadn't found this forum at the weekend and have read so much and begun to learn so much I probably would have given in and bought one bottle. That would have been drunk tonight after work and then tomorrow, despite feeling ****** I'd buy another one from the shop at the end of the road and then so on each day until it was back around to this time next week and I'm buying "Just one" from the supermarket.

I didn't expect that to be quite so difficult.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is difficult - to begin with - but it doesn't stay like this - it gets easier.
Stay with it, misspond

D
Old 03-13-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You made a good strong decision and this should help to carry you.
I did the same thing with shopping when i quit. In my state you cannot alcohol in the grocery, but some liquor stores are in the same malls, i went to shop where the liquor stores were at the opposite end, not visible...in the end it was also good to find better different routines.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you misspond :0)
Old 03-13-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I've been trying to think Fandy if there's anywhere I can shop where alcohol isn't sold but there isn't really. I could buy fruit and veg and meat from the market but would still need to go to the supermarket for other items and all of our supermarkets and corner shops here in the UK sell alcohol. I think I'll shift over to the one where I can more easily avoid it for a bit.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Great to hear that you resisted. Like Dee said, it definitely does get either. Just have to replace the old bad habits with productive new ones. Maybe some exercise or healthier eating would keep you occupied? And have you looked into any of the recovery programs? They are very essential tools to getting a grasp on this whole thing.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

22 yrs. sober here and I still have to
grocery shop. I still have to pass the
poison isle. All those pretty wrapped
bottle and bright colored liquid poison
is still there all lined up in a row displayed
for the taking.

It shows no mercy for the weak, for
those in recovery, those that are sick.

The poison isle was there before I got
sober, during, and after and doesnt
or isnt gonna disappear in my lifetime.

When i shop, sure i recall my many
trips to get my poison for all those
special everyday occasions and recall
how i had no idea it was slowly killing
me. Rotting my heart, soul and mind
till it nearly robbed me of my wonderful
sober life I have today.

Rehab, knowledge of my alcoholism,
learning, absorbing, incorperating it
in my everyday life. Helping, passing
on my own ESH - Experiences, strengths
and hopes to others struggling with
addiction to help me stay sober for a
many one days at a time, has given me
a life in recovery I can enjoy and appreciate
and be blessed for today.

Today I still grocery shop and still have
to pass the poison isle, but I have the
right, useful tools i learned early on in
recovery to allow me to quickly say my
Serenity Prayer if i need to, to quickly
dismiss those unwanted thoughts that
invade my mind and proceed with my
shopping, strong willed, grateful for my
sobreity and continue on my journey.

So can you.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news misspond that you didnt buy the wine.

I avoided the Alcohol aisles when I first got sober, but it is difficult with all the shops selling it.I was trying to think of somewhere to shop where they dont sell it and no cant think of one.Our local Waitrose is the only shop that keeps it up the bottom corner.Would on-line shopping be an option?

The longer you are sober the easier it will get.I dont notice the Alcohol now.

Wishing you well,keep going with your sobriety.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fernaceman View Post
Great to hear that you resisted. Like Dee said, it definitely does get either. Just have to replace the old bad habits with productive new ones. Maybe some exercise or healthier eating would keep you occupied? And have you looked into any of the recovery programs? They are very essential tools to getting a grasp on this whole thing.
To be fair I eat very healthily and teach dance as part of my work and do plenty of exercise, I just need to remember that drinking poison is not something that will do me any good whatsoever.

aasharon90 - I hear you, it's always been there and will still be there, and for me it's about realising there's no need for it as I say above. Thanks for the support all, everyone here is awesome.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Viewing the alcohol aisle the same as where they sell the cleaning chemicals and other products labelled "Poison" is appropriate. Where as it may be a product classified under food and drug laws for me its a product "not safe for consumption". I wouldn't drink Drano, why would I drink alcohol? That's all booze is good for in my book; pouring down the drain.
Just so we know what we were really drinking; here is the Material Safety Data Sheet for ETOH (alcohol):
http://www.nafaa.org/ethanol.pdf
Ignore the voice as much as you would have your children never accept candy from a stranger.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's good advice Johno1967, thank you.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I echo what Dee said, it will get easier. In fact, that voice will fade so much that you will rarely if ever hear it.

Yes, you could find a way to completely avoid the the booze isle for eternity, but remember, it's not the booze itself that creates the suffering, it is your thoughts about it that create the suffering. You can physically remove bottles from your line of vision, but the answer to shifting your thinking about booze lies within you.

Keep doing what you're doing. Strive on with diligence.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Yes, you could find a way to completely avoid the the booze isle for eternity, but remember, it's not the booze itself that creates the suffering, it is your thoughts about it that create the suffering. You can physically remove bottles from your line of vision, but the answer to shifting your thinking about booze lies within you.
Thanks soberlicious, I know you're right. This is a little like when I first stopped smoking - cos I didn't really stop smoking in my mind, I hadn't completely let go. I think that I just need to tweak my mind just a little bit more and then it will be as easy as all of the other things I have given up in the past.

I'm going to equate buying alcohol for me with giving myself bleach to drink - I would never dream of doing that.

And heath480, I don't usually have enough in the bank at the moment for on-line shopping so I'm going to brazen it out I'll be fine, thanks to all of you
Old 03-13-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It does get easier

Well done on not listening to your voice telling you one was ok. Keep at it, it is worth it
Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I like the bleach analogy as well!

When I first stopped drinking the alcohol aisle was so painful to walk down.. It still is to an extent, I spy out of the corner of my eye all the various ales I used to love drinking and sometimes it is hard..

Alot of people think this is bad, but I drink non alcoholic beer (I love the taste, don't drink coffee tea etc and try to avoid soda so I do like the NA beer) unfortunately this happens to sit on the alcohol aisle so there's no avoiding going down there sometimes. But will certainly keep the bleach analogy in mind when I next go down and get tempted by all the labels.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by misspond View Post
To be fair I eat very healthily and teach dance as part of my work and do plenty of exercise, I just need to remember that drinking poison is not something that will do me any good whatsoever.

aasharon90 - I hear you, it's always been there and will still be there, and for me it's about realising there's no need for it as I say above. Thanks for the support all, everyone here is awesome.
misspond, you have a win/win situation here, you truly are blessed.

Win1 Feel the feelings and thoughts and overcome them with reason and good judgment. You have the power.

Win2 If you are an alcoholic like me and in the end find yourself powerless, you can come to AA with Sharon & I.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-13-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you Bob, your kindness is appreciated.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great Job!! As you know the "I'll just get one" never really means one. Happened to me last night after only 2 days of no drinking I thought well I just take one shot.....one turned into 10 and today I feel like **** physically but more so that I only last 2 days.....