Notices

Time to try stop again

Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to try stop again

I have been a binge drinker for about the last 5 years. I usually have a bringe drinking night about once every 3 months. I think this has been one of the problems for me to stop since they don't happen that often. Usually I do many stupid things on these bringe nights, but I keep thinking I can control it and still have drinks, but then one of these nights come about.

I have many people that would help me in one second to make this life style change. The hardest thing for me is to make the decision to do and understand I can't keep going in life in the direction I am going. Different times I have said this is it and stop for weeks to a month at a time, but then slowly get back into the rut. I'm scared and need to be able to tell myself that I need to stop.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate Golf to thinking "I can control it". I tried and tried and then I tried again to control my drinking....it never worked out. For some people things have to get bad...real bad in order for them to stop. Others are smarter. They realize that things will get bad...real bad...and they stop before it happens. I compromised my health to the point that I cannot drink any more. Try to think about what is making you "slowly get back into the rut again" and try to think of ways to steer clear of the rut. I'm finding once the decisions was made and I stuck to it...over time it really is getting easier to be and identify and live as a non-drinker.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Clover. I know I am still at the point where I have been lucky so far and need to make a change prior to something "really bad" happening and then don't have that choice. Thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rest assured these binges will become more frequent.

Alcoholism is progressive, that is a fact.

Get and stay sober if you can not control how much you drink, WHEN you drink.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back golfin
It's really scary how much time can just fly by.

so...what's your plan?

D
Old 03-11-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I can almost guarantee that all daily drinkers started off as binge drinkers. I was one of them. Take advantage of those people who are willing to help - we can't do this alone. It's not the alcohol that is the problem - it's that rut and the rut which gets you looking at booze.

Nip it now before it gets worse.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My first course of action is talking to the people close to me and telling them that I am quitting. I also want them to know that I will work hard at this, but for them not to let me forget why I am doing this a couple months down the road, beacause that is usually when I have a slip up.