Notices

Irritated

Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Irritated

I don't know why but I am so irritated right now. I have been sober for over a week so I think the physical withdrawal phase is over. I just feel so frustrated and bored. I feel like i dont have anything interesting to say to anyone, so I havent felt in the mood to talk to anyone.

Another thing that is irritating me is that all of my "friends" keep pressuring me to drink with them. I don't think any of these people are alcoholics, but they are giving me a hard time that i won't drink wine with them or go out to bars. I am wondering if I am going to be socially isolated and/or lose friends because of my choice not to drink.

Also, I am at my parents' house tonight a little over a week after they did an "intervention" on me telling me they thought i had an addiction and I needed to get help. My dad keeps pressuring me to talk about my drinking and i just really dont want to talk about it. I am not drinking, which is what we wanted, so why does he dwell on it? It makes me feel ashamed and like he pities me or something. Also, they acted so awkward about drinking in front of me. They drink wine every night and tonight no one was because i was there. It was just so awkward, i felt like my presence was making everyone in the family feel uncomfortable.

Addiction is so frustrating! But i guess life could be worse.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by Coconut61 View Post
I don't know why but I am so irritated right now. I have been sober for over a week so I think the physical withdrawal phase is over. I just feel so frustrated and bored. I feel like i dont have anything interesting to say to anyone, so I havent felt in the mood to talk to anyone.
This is normal for being sober that short a time. I was irritable and grumpy for the first while too. Emotions were up and down like crazy. Isolating was something I was tempted to do, but I had to get out there and keep talking to other alcoholics to keep myself from cocooning. I made sure to at least talk to one person out there to get out of my self.

Another thing that is irritating me is that all of my "friends" keep pressuring me to drink with them. I don't think any of these people are alcoholics, but they are giving me a hard time that i won't drink wine with them or go out to bars. I am wondering if I am going to be socially isolated and/or lose friends because of my choice not to drink.
The people in my life knew that I didn't drink any more. It's your call in whether you tell your friends or not. Pressure is something we don't need at our tender young sobriety. It might be wise to take a break from these people who may be pressuring you to drink. As for socially isolated...that is a common fear. We find the people who accept us and we also find our way socially. I had to stay away from places that sold alcohol - restaurants, stores, etc. for a while. If your friends decide to ditch you because of your choice, then I question how good a friends they were.

Also, I am at my parents' house tonight a little over a week after they did an "intervention" on me telling me they thought i had an addiction and I needed to get help. My dad keeps pressuring me to talk about my drinking and i just really dont want to talk about it. I am not drinking, which is what we wanted, so why does he dwell on it? It makes me feel ashamed and like he pities me or something. Also, they acted so awkward about drinking in front of me. They drink wine every night and tonight no one was because i was there. It was just so awkward, i felt like my presence was making everyone in the family feel uncomfortable.

Addiction is so frustrating! But i guess life could be worse.

Our family "dwell" on it because we have caused a lot of damage. Just because we decide to fly straight, it doesn't mean that they just brush it off and go on.They are damaged and hurt too. They will want to talk about it, vent, get to understand what is going on. It's just something that I know I had to accept. I had to accept that my wife would occasionally get upset, cry, yell, ask me embarrassing questions...and she did. And I had to open at any time, and tell the truth. But we got past it. Your parents may need to do the same to get past something that has troubled them. It will be good for you too, methinks.

I wish you the best...keep it up
Old 03-11-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

excellent reply paul^
Coconut61 brought up some very good points that I have been experiencing too, your reply helped me also.

Thanks

Patrick