Notices

Day1, again...

Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day1, again...

I have a few days of sobriety over the past month or so and a few days of being a total mess. My wife leaves for a cruise on Thursday for 11 days and has thought about cancelling due to my condition. I am working 12 to 13 hour days, 7 days a week and have worked my way into a corner. I want to show her three clean days before she leaves and then remain clean while she is gone. I will be checking in here. Say a prayer for me.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So what's your plan to get sober ?

I could not do it alone....
Old 03-11-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

^ great question.

Do have have any support besides SR rockindog?

D
Old 03-11-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do it!
I work 6-7 days a week and got in a rut where as soon as I got off work I would drink all day until I had to passs out so I could sober up to return to work.
Did that for years and it hurt my health, job performance, relationships, self esteem, etc.
Recently woke up, quit cold turkey and have not had 1 sip in over 26 straight days!
Find a reason to quit and use it as incentive.
Do it my friend.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Geesh that's a rough position for her to be in. Can you make a plan for HOW you'll stay sober while she's gone (and forever, but one step at a time)? Inpatient, outpatient rehab, meetings, counseling, something?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

I know how tempting it can be to have the freedom of having no one around. I used to think it was time to kick on.

What can you put in place when she is away? she will worry even if you have a few days clean before she goes.

Isn't this just between you and alcohol anyway?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have a plan on how you are going to spend your time by yourself. Something that you never did while drinking and do it often. It can be a big trigger being alone, I know I always think like it is a holiday from sobriety when I find out I will have this alone time. I try to plan dog walks on long trails or projects in the yard but I try to avoid things that might trigger me. Plan on non alcoholic drinks you really like that you don't drink all the time because they are treats like a smoothie or milkshake. Keep tons of seltzer, water, tea etc. to keep options open that don't include Alcohol.

Above all, don't entertain the idea of drinking. As soon as your mind goes there find a distraction and go make one of your favorite treat drinks.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rockindog View Post
I want to show her three clean days before she leaves and then remain clean while she is gone. I will be checking in here. Say a prayer for me.
Get some group support whether it be AA or AVRT. Will make it a heck of a lot easier. You will find hope and inspiration.