Notices

Sobriety: Day 2

Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety: Day 2

I just thought I'd give everyone an update on my introduction thread:
"Life of a High-Functioning Alcoholic" (Can't post links yet.)

I've been sober for two days. I'm not in any type of program or anything like that, but it appears to be working. A few things I have noticed are:

1) My sex drive is through the roof. This wouldn't be such a bad thing, but without a girlfriend and/or friends with benefits, it kind of sucks and is acting as another temptation to hit the bar. Just because I'm sober doesn't mean I still don't enjoy casual sex! Where am I supposed to meet these kinds of girls now? The library?

2) I'm eating like a pig and smoking like chimney, which I find kind of odd, considering I only smoke when I drink.

3) I have become more of a workaholic. As I said in my introduction thread, I never hit rock bottom and I appear to be very successful on the outside. I've been utilizing the time I used to spend drinking, to work even more hours. I will be setting up a separate investment account in dedication to my sobriety, where I will put all the proceeds from my additional work, plus $25 per day extra for every day I don't drink, because that is money I would have otherwise used to drink. I feel this is a very quantifiable measure of my success at sobriety, especially if Argentina experiences an agricultural boom. =]

4) All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. I can't really think of any hobbies I really enjoyed before drinking. It's not like I can go sky diving/jet skiing/hang gliding when I get home from work and/or school every night.

5) Insomnia.

6) I don't want to hang out with any of my friends, even the ones that aren't really drinkers.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Quitting drinking is the easy part. Living sober is the trick if you are an alcoholic like me.

I found recovery in AA, nothing else worked for an alcoholic of my type as described in AA's "How It Works".

You'll know soon whether you are walking away from alcoholism or getting ready to join me in AA.

All the best.

Bob R