Notices

Beer and Coffee = Yin and Yang

Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beer and Coffee = Yin and Yang

So for all the years that I drank Alcohol, when I wasn't drinking Alcohol I drank Coffee. The caffeine seemed to balance me in the morning after a heavy night of Alcohol and it took the place of the "other" beverage. I would usually finish my Coffee and go straight to Beer.

I always thought that I just had a huge tolerance for caffeine like I had a huge tolerance for Alcohol. When I finally starting testing the waters of sobriety Coffee was still there as my morning stimulant. Lately though I have noticed that the longer I go without drinking Alcohol the less tolerant of caffeine I seem to be. I used to be able to drink large cup after large cup without any noticeable effects. Now I still enjoy a small cup or two in the morning but I start to feel the effects if I drink too much and I just don't crave it like I used to.

I am fairly certain now that the depressant Alcohol was balancing the stimulant caffeine. Without the Alcohol to balance I just can't drink Coffee the way I used to nor do I want to.

Don't get me wrong though, I still enjoy a "Good" cup of Coffee and keep whole bean expensive roasts in my house to grind. I just guess I'll need to start buying less

Have a great sober night everyone and see you at the Coffee House.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

Same here as far as tolerance to caffeine while still drinking but I have not learned yet to minimize my caffeine intake. The last few days I have hours of incredible nervous energy then get the big crash which leads to irritability and,as my last posting mentioned, a horrible time sleeping at night. Sooner or later I will balance out the coffee intake and sleep schedule. Hopefully sooner than later!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have noticed this too, Sudz No More. After one cup of coffee I need to eat. I may switch to decaf since I now prefer how I feel without caffeine - no blood sugar roller coaster or weird anxiety.