Notices

Hiding cans or bottles

Old 03-01-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've stashed a few in my day. I can think of a place in my shed right now where a bunch of cans are now snowed in from the fall, but I think most around the house are gone. My beer fridge was in the garage and even though the recycling bin was just outside the door I would still toss them in the cabinet. Honestly, and this is crazy to think right now, but there were a few times when the recycling bin was just too full and I had to stash them. Now when I take it to the curb it's usually only half full. I bet I'll come across an artifact or two as the seasons roll along.

Interesting that this thread popped up because my wife was out of town a couple weeks ago at a college friend's house and she came back and told me their relationship is strained. That's too bad, I asked her what was going on and apparently the husband is drinking a bit too much. Well, I know something about that. How much I asked? I guess when he was out of town one weekend his wife decided to clean the TV room, which she never goes into apparently, and she ran across all these hidden cans and bottles. Hey, I know something about that too. How much? Three garbage bags full. Wha? Like...? Like three garbage bags full, of random stuff too which means he's drinking whatever he can get his hands on and stashing the evidence. And of course she went on about other things but the stashing just rang so familiar with me. I hope he see's what he is doing, and soon.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bradley26 View Post
i used to hide beer cans around the house, sometimes go and get alcohol without being seen leaving the house and then getting drunk without being caught, pretty sad. Id always get found out though so chances are those around you know about the hidden empties, forget the shame and just be proud that you're dong something about it, day 35 for me and not alot of shame left, you just gotta be positive .
I too would sneak out of the house and come back with my stash. I too would get privately drunk. I too would hide my bottles of wine. I would check the mail and throw them away in the trashcan near the mail boxes.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I always had a minimum of 3 1.75 liter bottles of vodka in the house - one sitting on the counter which showed what I was drinking for my wife. Of course she had no idea I had one stashed in the workshop and one in the office. Quite often I also had one stashed in a backpack as well. Never want to run out you know. Getting ride of them wasn't hard - I'd crush them and put them at the bottom of the recycle bin. Buying all that booze was spread over sometimes 6 different stores - mostly grocery stores and gas stations to hide what I was really buying. Oh my the things I would do to hide it.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober birthday 2/7/13

Me too. I would hide in plain sight and in cabinets, under laundry, wherever. Sometimes forgetting when I was drunk and being in a panic the next day trying to find where i left the empty to get rid of it before anyone else stumbled over it.

Probably the worst was putting vodka in a liter sparking water bottle on the kitchen counter when my hubby was away. I thought I would be so smooth. I could drink and if my kids noticed me pouring, it would just be water right? Until I wasn't looking and one son poured himself a glass, took a gulp and almost threw up.

I didn't stop drinking, just didn't use that trick anymore. There was always another 'trick' and they were always so awful.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

One reason I went to vodka was that the bottles were plastic and didn't clink when I was hiding them or hoarding them. Well, that and the progressive nature of alcoholism...lol.

But yes, hider here. Under the kitchen cabinets hidden with my vinegars and oils (I was the only cook in the house). Also hidden outside by the garbage (or even in) and the winter was great because I could hide bottles in the snow.

Oh, how ugly.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by markinsf View Post
I always had a minimum of 3 1.75 liter bottles of vodka in the house - one sitting on the counter which showed what I was drinking for my wife. Of course she had no idea I had one stashed in the workshop and one in the office. Quite often I also had one stashed in a backpack as well. Never want to run out you know. Getting ride of them wasn't hard - I'd crush them and put them at the bottom of the recycle bin. Buying all that booze was spread over sometimes 6 different stores - mostly grocery stores and gas stations to hide what I was really buying. Oh my the things I would do to hide it.
Ahahahaha yes me too, I go to different supermarkets and grocer not to show how much I drank daily....classic alcoholic
Old 03-02-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I hid stuff sometimes. When I decided I'd had enough, I cleaned out the house including mouthwash, but I'm pretty sure there's still a bottle of Crown Royal hidden somewhere and I can't for the life of me remember where.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yes, I was proficent at hiding cans and bottles. A few weeks back I was working on my sons dirt bike and went to a shop cabinet for a part. An open, 3/4 full high alcohol beer can was on the shelf. I guess I was better at hiding than finding while drunk. And his dirt bike runs much better now with a sober Dad mechanic.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Actually I was very neat--EVERTHING went into my clothes closet in a plastic bin in the bottom on the floor. I knew I would forget where I put them if they were not all in the same place.

My Empties went in my Laundry Basket at the bottom of the dirty clothes--Let someone try and get to them without risk!

Trash day came whenever I had enough real trash to spread the bottles out so they would not "CLINK" that very annoying sound--like a dentist drill.

I do not think I fooled ANYONE--especially my neighbors. They saw and heard Trixme come home the nite before.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

[QUOTE

My Empties went in my Laundry Basket at the bottom of the dirty clothes--Let someone try and get to them without risk!
.[/QUOTE]

LOL thats priceless
Old 03-02-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

I used to hide my liqour bottles @ nite(b4 I passed out) then the next day whine coz I couldn't find it!! @ 1st I used the excuse that was hiding from the mrs coz she was a drunk too but she only drank beer but now that I've sobered up, realize the only person I was hiding from was myself...AA's spiritual cornerstone is honesty & that helped me get to terms w/ it.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

When my BF lived with us, years ago, I would hide them all over..in the garage, the kids closets (high up where they couldn't see or reach..and, so I thought, no one would EVER consider to look), and behind furniture. Every couple of weeks I would gather them up and take them to recycling. But sometimes he found them and confronted me. So shameful. Now that it's just me and the kids, I didn't want my kids to know I was drinking, to see me pour YET ANOTHER glass of wine. So, I would hide it in my closet or my room someone and sneak sips. Feels good to admit it all, but so shameful and embarrassing.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
All is Change

Interesting.
I can understand the embarrassment and guilt. From when I dropped out of uni in my early 20's I was traveling a lot and having lots of different experiences. Many of these involved partying with people. My hiding was to hide a stash so I had enough as if it was on the table it is in the public domain. A girlfriend at one time said she could see it in my eyes when I was doing that. Maybe part of me was angry with myself.That was one time a guilt and a questioning of myself happened. It didn't stop me drinking, but it was one of those little events that helped in the long run.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yup, hid bottles everywhere. I ripped a hole in the back of a large stuffed animal and hid them there. Out in the yard. Took apart some of the trim on a cabinet thingie. All over the basement. In my car - in the spare tire compartment. In pockets of old coats. In the water tank of the toilet. In tampon boxes because I knew my dh would never touch. So many others...too many to count.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

[QUOTE= In tampon boxes because I knew my dh would never touch. So many others...too many to count.[/QUOTE]

OH big hugs me too....cant believe that we did these things...shew
Old 03-03-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Oh how I hated the anxiety of hiding booze. I would buy the plastic vodka bottles like mentioned before so they wouldn't clink. I had them hid all over the kitchen, laundry baskets, hell even wrapped up in a plastic bag in the garbage. Each time a hiding spot would be found out I would swear I was done but would really just find a new spot that "no one" would ever find. Glad that anxiety is out of my life
Old 03-03-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

In my state we have a "bottle redemption law". Every aluminum can, glass bottle, and plastic soda and beer bottle is worth 5 cents. They add it to the regular price. So if you buy a 6 pack and throw away the empties ..... U just threw away 30 cents!.

So what I'd do to "hide" the beer bottles and cans. Was to NEVER let them pile up too much. Maybe 36-40 at a time? Take back 40 empties.... You got back $2. What I told my wife was this.

Who ever takes back the returnables can keep the money. Lol. Guess who always took them back!? :-)

As my drinking got out of control in the past 12 months I would collect those empties like gold! Then when I took them back...... Lets say I got $2...... I'd tell the cashier I wanted to pay $2 cash the rest debit. Why? Cuz it would look like I wasn't spending that much money on beer?! Think about that?! I never was really ahead! Only breaking even. I already paid the $2 ........now I was only getting it back.....basically a deposit I already made! ****! Crazy how the mind of a alcoholic works.

But in a sense I was trying to "hide" how much money I was spending on my alcohol. Did this post make sense?

The guy from Michigan will understand. They have a 10 cent per returnables deposit on their stuff!!! We used to talk about how many empty returnables would we need to make it worthwhile to drive a truck load to Michigan and get that extra 5 cents per returnable!?!?! Lol
Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kimmers View Post
OH big hugs me too....cant believe that we did these things...shew
Oh, LOL, me too! I hid empties in kitchen cabinets, purses, old bags, anywhere I thought SO wouldn't find. He found one just a few weeks ago, probably from a year ago. He teased me about the blast from the past. It was stuffed in a bag under the stairs. Oh, man crazy! I feel the worst about purse stashes though. Taking sips or glugs in bathrooms and parking lots. Sheesh.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:58 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I did not have to hide my cans but I can relate with doing "dump runs" at night so the neighbors would not know I drank
(not that it was any of their freaking business so it's nuts that I was so ashamed...). My two favorite spots were the bus stop and a local church whose dumpster was out of sight...
Old 03-04-2013, 01:17 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kiki26 View Post
Oh how I hated the anxiety of hiding booze. I would buy the plastic vodka bottles like mentioned before so they wouldn't clink. I had them hid all over the kitchen, laundry baskets, hell even wrapped up in a plastic bag in the garbage. Each time a hiding spot would be found out I would swear I was done but would really just find a new spot that "no one" would ever find. Glad that anxiety is out of my life
I bet you bought the vodka bottles from different shops, that is what I did with my daily beer purchase, always changing supermarkets and grocers.