Notices

Hiding cans or bottles

Old 03-01-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Hiding cans or bottles

Okay Im only on day 3 of sobriety (THIS TIME)...so far so good.
But I find myself looking in cupboards,closets ect hopeing that I dont find an empty somewhere.
I want to heal the shame.
Just wondering if anyone else was a bottle hider like myself?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i used to hide beer cans around the house, sometimes go and get alcohol without being seen leaving the house and then getting drunk without being caught, pretty sad. Id always get found out though so chances are those around you know about the hidden empties, forget the shame and just be proud that you're dong something about it, day 35 for me and not alot of shame left, you just gotta be positive .
Old 03-01-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh I am positive my friend, I believe I am on "damage control" right now...ya
damage control...I just dont want any 'evidence' around...does that make sense?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes me, I used to hide wine bottles on cupboards. I did that when I was still living in my mothers home and also when I married and moved whit my wife. What a shame!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i used to hoard my empties and then dump them in random garbage bins. I didnt want my nosy neighbors seeing my empties because i drank beer and there was a lot.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I lived alone during my drunken times, but whenever I had guests or when my girlfriend stayed over, I would always hide a bottle of vodka on the side of the couch. Never knew when I'd need my fix and wanted to make sure it was available. I also hid vodka in things like shampoo bottles etc when I traveled, so I would always have my own "carry-on" alcohol. This was because I wanted to make sure that when I landed, I would be able to cure my withdrawls immediately upon landing. I never ran into any old bottles when I sobered up, as I had my father go to my apartment and throw everything out before I got home. I also tossed all my old wine glasses, beer mugs, and beer signs/memorabilia - I don't think they'd tempt me but better be safe than sorry. I am done with this, and that requires 100% commitment.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Towards the end, yes, I did it too. I had fantastic hiding spots..disgusting really.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I used to hide my empties all the time. This is common, because we don't want people to know how much we really drank, because then they might have the nerve to point out that it's too much (which we already know)!

I remember when I lived at my parent's house, I would hide them behind this computer desk I had in a little nook in the corner of the room. This became a mountain of aluminum and plastic (I wasn't high class enough to buy the glass bottle of vodka). I remember one time my parent's found it, saying "This is the type of booze you will see homeless people drinking on the west side."

Also, what I thought were great hiding places, actually weren't. They would always get found, because I became very lazy with hiding it even though I thought I was doing a great job. I think my crazy mindset was, "the more obvious the spot, the less chance they will think it is there, because it's too obvious!" Hahaha.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hiding was my nature with alcohol. I used to hide things in strange places when I had visitors. I once ran into a 1.75L bottle 3 months into sobriety. I don't even know how it got there, must have been blackout drunk when I hid it in the first place. I don't miss that.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

""I once ran into a 1.75L bottle 3 months into sobriety. I don't even know how it got there, must have been blackout drunk when I hid it in the first place. I don't miss that.

Yes...this is exactly my concern!!!

Thanks everyone,I didnt think I was alone on this.Sad behavior.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

oh yes and I always took the garbage to skips during nights, not to let my neighbors see plastic bags full of beer cans, I drank more than 8 pints every day
Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Fernaceman View Post
I used to hide my empties all the time. This is common, because we don't want people to know how much we really drank, because then they might have the nerve to point out that it's too much (which we already know)!
Zackly!

I have a garage/wood shop, and it has lots of little hiding places so I could hide my stash for the evening, and then the empties afterwards so my wife wouldn't know how much I drank. Sometimes I would put them in the shop trach can and then dump the contents of the shop vac on top of it to make sure she wouldn't poke around in there to see if there were empties.

Effort wasted on being wasted.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
All is Change

One may pass a certain pint where it no longer matters. In fact it becomes a fashion statement. A bit repulsive perhaps, but it makes life easier. People stay away and like minded people come closer. The cops sometimes are annoyingly close, but back to the question. : yes.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, I hid them. Mainly in my closet, but also in the garage. I hid my drinking from my husband, so I was constantly feeling anxiety from hiding bottles. Like caboblanco I would also dump them in random garbage cans around town. It is such a HUGE RELIEF not to have to carry that secret anymore. So much hiding, keeping secrets and anxiety over whether or not they would be found gets SO tiring. It is so freeing to finally break those ties.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I used to hide empty bottles around the house to hide my consumption as I wasn't supposed to be drinking.

Sometimes there would be a near sackful of bottles hidden in various places, at times I'd move something forgetting and "crash!" several would fall out.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Melacole View Post
Yes, I hid them. Mainly in my closet, but also in the garage. I hid my drinking from my husband, so I was constantly feeling anxiety from hiding bottles. Like caboblanco I would also dump them in random garbage cans around town. It is such a HUGE RELIEF not to have to carry that secret anymore. So much hiding, keeping secrets and anxiety over whether or not they would be found gets SO tiring. It is so freeing to finally break those ties.
I used to do that too, I'd wrap them up and dispose of them in random garbage cans around town. Sometimes I'd sneak out with a big bagful in the dead of night to the local recycling bin to get rid of them. I'd be going along the road clinking along with all these bottles, despite trying to be as stealth as possible.

I'm so glad I don't have to do that any more.

My bedroom and closet used to stick from the dregs of empties.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i have been sober year and half and keep finding them hidden around.
this christmas in the wrapping paper box
Old 03-01-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I did it heaps as well... When I moved back to my parents I drank vodka and 'hid' the empties in the guttering on the garage roof... Dad found them, "Why don't you just put them into the recycling bin" lol. Funny now but sooo shameful at the time. I used to dump bags of bottles in bins around town too. It's so common among us alkies.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I always put my empties in the bottom drawer of my dresser. Just took them alllll back to the store to get some cash for food
Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jojo69 View Post
I used to do that too, I'd wrap them up and dispose of them in random garbage cans around town. Sometimes I'd sneak out with a big bagful in the dead of night to the local recycling bin to get rid of them. I'd be going along the road clinking along with all these bottles, despite trying to be as stealth as possible.

I'm so glad I don't have to do that any more.

My bedroom and closet used to stick from the dregs of empties.
Your post made me laugh coz this was me too