Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Did your sobreity effect other drinkers to get sober?

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I"ve been sober over a month now and I don't drink while with my friends that drink obviously. My one friend hasn't had a drink for about 3 weeks. He claims he really only likes to drink in the summer now, but I believe he caught the sobriety bug from me. I hear stories of how it's hard to keep friends that still drink. Does anyone have stories of their friends getting sober after they did? btw I never told him i consider myself an alcoholic, I just told him I don't want to drink, He notices how Im in a good place and decided to not drink as well. Another good thing that came from sobriety!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Good question / point.

I don't think anyone I know of has stopped drinking because I got sober, but a good friend of mine was at my one year medallion. Apparently he got inspired to be part of an eating program and isn't 12-step based, but has meetings and the men keep each other accountable. They support each other and all aim to achieve the same goal - healthy weight loss. I saw him for dinner last night and he's almost unrecognizable. But he said it was from seeing everyone in that room and feeling the energy in there.

I want what he has now!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
All is Change

I don't think so. One friend talks more about wanting to and seems to have more dry spells, but that's his choice and I would never take it away from him. In turn a friend of his ditto seems to drink less. We spent the first time all sober having a good ole chinwag the other day. It was good.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think I have either. But, there are people who inspired me to get sober. Most without even knowing it.
Hopefully, one day I'll inspire someone to get sber. But through AA many people inspired me.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Nope, well.. my husband was my partner in crime a lot of crazy nights out and now he never has a crazy night out anymore.. I have no idea what happened to any of my drinking buddies, I haven't been in contact with them since I quit. I have reached out to a few people that I know that have mentioned wanting to do something about their drinking or that they drink too much, but I know how that goes.. we aren't ready til we're ready.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I know at least one person who is currently trying to get off the moderation/abstinence fence, and I know that I am a large part of the reason he is contemplating it. Not that I've pushed it with him (until recently when he has expressed a wish to be pushed), but he says he has seen such a change in me that he wants it.

I also know that the example of my first husband (now sober 33 years) and his many AA friends who have found happy sobriety were an inspiration to me when I finally was ready to throw in the towel with drinking.

By living a life of happy sobriety you are ALWAYS carrying the message--even when you aren't conscious of it.