Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

The people in your life benefiting from your sobriety

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know sobriety is a personal journey which we should do for ourselves, but I love thinking of how it has helped the people I really care about.

My partner has become a different person since I stopped drinking, no more stressing about where I am, no more concern and sadness at seeing me destroy myself. It has been wonderful to know I have removed a large amount of worry from her life.

The biggest suprise has been my father, shortly after I decided to become sober I sat down with him and was open and honest with my problem. I talked to him about it all as I wanted to talk to get advice from another alcoholic, I wanted his support as I know when we get together it always involved alcohol. I was there to ask for his help. Since that conversation he hasn't touched a drop since and I have never seen him look so well. His business is going great and he has lost a lot of weight. I no longer get phone calls from the police holding cell asking me to pick him up, no more angry calls from his employees asking where he is while he is passed out at home, or worried calls from my sister saying he has disappeared on a bender. My intention was to never to get him to stop drinking, I was there for help, but he said hearing me say the things i did changed him that night.

It is funny now when we attend events where people haven't seen us for a while, they are shocked to see the two drunkards now drink mineral water and not make complete fools of themselves. Me and my dad are often the designated drivers - has the world gone topsy turvy?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lizard99 View Post
I know sobriety is a personal journey which we should do for ourselves, but I love thinking of how it has helped the people I really care about.

My partner has become a different person since I stopped drinking, no more stressing about where I am, no more concern and sadness at seeing me destroy myself. It has been wonderful to know I have removed a large amount of worry from her life.

The biggest suprise has been my father, shortly after I decided to become sober I sat down with him and was open and honest with my problem. I talked to him about it all as I wanted to talk to get advice from another alcoholic, I wanted his support as I know when we get together it always involved alcohol. I was there to ask for his help. Since that conversation he hasn't touched a drop since and I have never seen him look so well. His business is going great and he has lost a lot of weight. I no longer get phone calls from the police holding cell asking me to pick him up, no more angry calls from his employees asking where he is while he is passed out at home, or worried calls from my sister saying he has disappeared on a bender. My intention was to never to get him to stop drinking, I was there for help, but he said hearing me say the things i did changed him that night.

It is funny now when we attend events where people haven't seen us for a while, they are shocked to see the two drunkards now drink mineral water and not make complete fools of themselves. Me and my dad are often the designated drivers - has the world gone topsy turvy?
I love reading posts like this. Thank you.

Everyone in my life has been positively affected by me being sober.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love being a better wife, friend and dog-mom as a result of being sober. Just another benefit of sobriety!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That was a lovely post thank you.

The 2 people who have benefitted most by me being sober are my children.

I'm now putting them top of my priority list where they should have been all along x
Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

A touching post, indeed...thanks for sharing that
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lizard99 View Post

What a great story.. Keep up the good work..
Old 02-22-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very encouraging. For me, it is my wife. She is a non drinker and during my drinking she went into the bedroom and left me alone. We were drifting further and further apart after 39 years of marriage.

Last weekend I quit cold turkey with her to help me. She has been a great support and I love her excitement and the joy she has in being with me sober.

Both my adult sons have drinking problems. In their 30's they are successful businessmen and have families. They function well but on the weekends they throw down pretty hard with booze and pot. I have been their drinking buddy when I go to visit which I am ashamed of. I will be with them next weekend and have chosen not to drink. I am a bit concerned because the temptation will be great. I really want to set the example that I can enjoy life and have a good time without alcohol

I have realized I cannot now, or ever, moderate my drinking. If I start, I will drink until I blackout or pass out. I am done with it and realize I have a sickness of body and spirit involving alcohol. I hope my new sobriety will spark something in them also.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blessed Man

Exclamation

. Absolutely wonderful .....