Notices

The Doctor said....

Old 02-13-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Doctor said....

High Blood pressure, Cholesterol, and elevated liver enzymes. The first two were expected, not the liver though.
Take your medication, NEED to quit drinking alcohol immediately and return in 2 months to do another blood draw.
Was praying I would never hear this, but after 30 + years of drinking I guess I sort of expected it.
Just threw my last few beers in the garbage. Am going to work soon.
I pray that i quit this first day of Lent and that in 2 months my blood work comes back positive.
Any one out there get "elevated liver enzymes" report from blood work and turn it around to a completely healthy liver?
Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

So apart from fear whats your plan to stay stopped ABIDEBYLAW?

D
Old 02-13-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

did you ask your doctor with you visited him? best time to do that. you can do some research on your own on reliable web sites.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
LDT

I had everything you have, ABIDEBYLAW, except for the high blood pressure. I had blood work done, did what my doctor told me to, and then also embarked on a fairly holistic approach to healing my liver. Long story short..... I did turn it around to where I now have a healthy liver. My blood work is good. It can be done, if you are willing to work at it.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just received a message today on my voicemail from his nurse stating something about elevated liver enzymes, something about needing to quit drinking, and to come back in two months for retesting. I do not know the numbers or any further information. This is killing me.
My cellphone went dead and I can not listen to my messages or even use my phone now. I just checked my cellphone again and it will not take a charge and appears my battery is dead and I can not use my phone and/or check my messages. When it rains it pours!
Not knowing the facts makes it much worse for me.
Do I have a plan? No. I have always handled any issues in my life on my own and it has worked except for drinking. If I can not stop cold turkey, I have in the past for short periods, than I will have to make an alternate plan.
Since it is Lent, I am going to shoot for 40 days sober and try to go from there.
Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try not to worry too much - if they don't want to see you for two months common sense suggests it's probably not too bad.

Staying sober can only help tho

Do I have a plan? No. I have always handled any issues in my life on my own and it has worked except for drinking.
A plan doesn't mean you have to join any group, take out newspaper ads or start a Foundation

I recommend you think about more support (which could be as simple as post here more for starters) and think about what changes you could make in your life to help you stay sober.

Think about the typical situations and feelings you have that have been a factor in you drinking in the past. Think about better healthier ways to deal with those feelings or situations.

Thats a plan.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy or to beat you up - but expecting just to deal with things as they come up didn't work so well for me and I expect it hasn't worked terribly well for you either Abide?

D

Last edited by Dee74; 02-13-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I worry about everything. Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it, off to work I go.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

well another reason for the 2 month wait is allow your liver to repair damage it has. so no drinking alcohol is very critical cause that is a know toxic to the liver. so do not drink and that will help out alot.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Blood work in, Elevated liver enzymes. AST 81 ALT 41. Blood pressure went down in 5 days on medication to almost normal... wow.
Told to not drink and to return in 2 months for a full physical and further tests to determine reason behind 3X elevation of the AST over the last 3 years(AST was 27 3 years ago). Appears to be liver damage, schocking.
Quit for Lent and on day 3 alcohol free. Going to work soon so will be on day 4 tomorrow. Going to try a liver cleanse tomorrow since I am off and have nothing to do.... aka drinking 15 beers and eating garbage on my day off.
Hoping to stay sober, lose some pounds, eat better, and to return in 2 months with good news from the Doctor. Time will tell....
Old 02-15-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Try not to worry too much - if they don't want to see you for two months common sense suggests it's probably not too bad.

Staying sober can only help tho

A plan doesn't mean you have to join any group, take out newspaper ads or start a Foundation

I recommend you think about more support (which could be as simple as post here more for starters) and think about what changes you could make in your life to help you stay sober.

Think about the typical situations and feelings you have that have been a factor in you drinking in the past. Think about better healthier ways to deal with those feelings or situations.

Thats a plan.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy or to beat you up - but expecting just to deal with things as they come up didn't work so well for me and I expect it hasn't worked terribly well for you either Abide?

D
I don't know Dee. I was diagnosed with fatty liver after an ultrasound...non-alcoholic as I wouldn't admit to drinking.

Md, said lose weight, fatty liver means fat throughout body, and he said avoid alcohol, but nothing else was suggested.

Having something wrong with my liver did not keep me from drinking.

It's awful how powerful alcoholism is.

I feel like my md could care less.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's good that you have the information, even though it's not what you wanted to hear.

Try to remember that you can't change what has happened, but you can change from this moment on. None of us have guaranteed good health, and all we can do is the best we can. Stop drinking and take care of yourself and you will find peace.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Abide,

Before the Liver Cleanse , check with your doctor, k?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There is a thread and posts on here by a lady called Zee.

She had worse news than yours about her liver and if you read her posts you can find out what happened!

I would eat good food, stay away from tylenol and drink lots of water. I would also avoid natural/alternative remedies. Many of these are unlicensed and can have a catestrophic effect on the liver.

Let me know what you think about Zee's posts?

XxXx
Old 02-16-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-lucky.html
Old 02-16-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had the same issues...elevated liver enzymes, high blood pressure, etc...the doctor told me I had to quit or I will die in my 50's...I am in my mid-40's. I quit drinking and have been exercising regularly. Last month, I had everything checked out and my liver was normal as well as my blood pressure...drinking is poison. You can change things only if you want to. Ever since I turned things around and stopped drinking, the quality of life I have experienced has been amazing. I often think about the 20 years I handicapped myself physically and professionally and where I would be today if I wasn't a careless booze bag. If I can do it anyone can do it.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ABIDEBYLAW View Post
High Blood pressure, Cholesterol, and elevated liver enzymes. The first two were expected, not the liver though.
Take your medication, NEED to quit drinking alcohol immediately and return in 2 months to do another blood draw.
Was praying I would never hear this, but after 30 + years of drinking I guess I sort of expected it.
Just threw my last few beers in the garbage. Am going to work soon.
I pray that i quit this first day of Lent and that in 2 months my blood work comes back positive.
Any one out there get "elevated liver enzymes" report from blood work and turn it around to a completely healthy liver?
Thanks.
ABIDEBYLAW, I sympathize with you I have been worried myself, SR has helped ease my mind the last few days...My doctor called about my labs last week and told me my liver enzymes were elevated and they made me come back in that day to do more testing and now I'm waiting for results....I was sober about 5 1/2 weeks when I did my blood work but before that I drank so heavy, my husband said when I drank I scared him (the amount I would drink) I'm a female which alcohol is harder on our bodies ... ..My liver count was a lot higher then yours, so I understand your concern....Hopefully being sober will help us both, hang in there, I'm sure your numbers will turn around fast.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hoping to stay sober

After drinking for 30+ years you are going to need more that hope. Hope didn't do it for me, even when I added in determination and will power.

I would recommend some face to face support, you pick whatever flavor of that you want. To change your drinking, you need to change your thinking.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for your posts. I appreciate it very much. Hearing from people that went through the same or similar and made it out to lead healthy lives helps out immensely.
Have not had a drink since I received the message from the nurse(5 days).
I am going to remain stopped so I can see in 2 months where I am at and what this abstinence has done for my health/body.
I will let you know how it goes and pray to God that I am given another chance.
Thanks to all!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think that your BP will continue to improve without alcohol and as you feel better physically you might want to incorporate exercise along with better clean eating.

congrats on your 5 days, I know you will be feeling better, sleeping better too.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

"Any one out there get "elevated liver enzymes" report from blood work and turn it around to a completely healthy liver?"

Blood pressure: Better. Down to 1/4 the daily meds I was on when drinking.

Cholesterol: All better. Off those meds now.

Lipids: All better. Off those meds now.

FWIW.