Notices

Geez, I'm drinking and in danger, again.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
Amazing what we are willing to risk for a drink. ...or more to the point, what that first drink can do to us.

I am now going to a therapist for this "sabotage" thing, but I think I pick up a drink when change is in the air, I am on edge, and "one" LOL drink seems like a good idea. Then I am living in alcohol-ville again and all bets are off.

Having just done that very thing (on day 4 after a 3-month relapse) I am working on staying sober before anything. When I don't have sobriety, I don't have me. In 3 months I have created amazing messes that I am now trying to clean up. What a waste...

Tell your sponsor at least, and you have a weekend to get a sober day under your belt (1 day makes such a difference).
Thanks for posting this. Reading little posts like this help me keep going. That first one, that is key. As long as I don't pick up a first drink I will be fine. One day at a time, I will just keep marching.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for your help everyone. I've still not taken the action. In the area that I live, there are stories of individuals on probation, relapsing, and coming to clean to their probation officer. That approach, in the cases I've heard, lands them in violation of there probation and detoxing in jail.

Until yesterday, I managed to keep it in check. I have no idea how I passed my PBT this morning, other than the possibility that I must have some genetic mutation that allows my liver to process alcohol extraordinarily fast.

I got back in my car, with a bad case of the jitters, and wept. I don't know if I've surrendered to step 1 as thoroughly as today.

Here's my plan: I'm going to try to get through a week. In my experience, the severest of cravings are gone by then. I'll get honest with my sponsor at that point.

If it fails, I've got to go to detox and treatment.

I feel comfortable being honest here and so I'll come back here every night, at the time I usually run out to the store, and post about how I'm doing.

Thank you everyone
Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

MWL,

Maybe you don't have to call your sponsor, but do you have any other contacts in AA you can call? I think it would help if you had someone to call even if it was for a quick 10-15 minute conversation. It will help you get out of your head so that you might have a slightly easier time in the first week of quitting again.

If I were in your position, I probably wouldn't fess up to the probation officer either, but I would definitely find a way to call someone and get some level of accountability/communication going again. It's part of why AA worked for you before, right?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Lots of good advice here.

You are facing a lot of issues, the solution is simple, just don't drink.

Notice, I didn't say the solution was easy. If I were you I would confide in my sponsor. I wouldn't tell my girlfriend (that can come at a later date when you have some time under your belt and are stronger in your recovery). I see no upside in telling your probation officer. Sometimes I think there is a fine line between honesty and stupidity. Telling your probation officer would fall on the stupidity side.

Go to as many AA meetings as you can get to and don't drink between meetings. Bust your butt to complete your academic program. Sober, I think you can do it. But if you keep playing with fire it will likely all come crashing down, and life as you know it will change.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MWL1983 View Post
Thanks for your help everyone. I've still not taken the action. In the area that I live, there are stories of individuals on probation, relapsing, and coming to clean to their probation officer. That approach, in the cases I've heard, lands them in violation of there probation and detoxing in jail.

Until yesterday, I managed to keep it in check. I have no idea how I passed my PBT this morning, other than the possibility that I must have some genetic mutation that allows my liver to process alcohol extraordinarily fast.

I got back in my car, with a bad case of the jitters, and wept. I don't know if I've surrendered to step 1 as thoroughly as today.

Here's my plan: I'm going to try to get through a week. In my experience, the severest of cravings are gone by then. I'll get honest with my sponsor at that point.

If it fails, I've got to go to detox and treatment.

I feel comfortable being honest here and so I'll come back here every night, at the time I usually run out to the store, and post about how I'm doing.

Thank you everyone
I would ask you to give up "your plan", and follow the AA plan that is outlined in the book.

My plan always ends up badly.

Please consider that you may not have the best plan.

I would encourage you to call your sponsor, otherwise known as, member of AA that shows another the way out....

Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Veritas1 View Post
I would ask you to give up "your plan", and follow the AA plan that is outlined in the book.

My plan always ends up badly.

Please consider that you may not have the best plan.

I would encourage you to call your sponsor, otherwise known as, member of AA that shows another the way out....

I don't agree with everything in the above response but I do agree that your "plan" doesn't feel designed to succeed. Consumption of alcohol is threatening your relationships, your health, your life...and you say "I'll try" and make it a week? Lots of "try's" and "if's" there. You seem like a brave and honest person who'd be open to constructive feedback so that's why I put it that way.

The philosophy behind what it means to STOP is also something to work on. It doesn't mean "maybe", you really have to commit to it. Much respect to you for putting yourself out there, good luck.