Notices

Liver damage repair?

Old 11-01-2005, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver damage repair?

I presume this probably is not the place to ask technical questions about liver damage through alcohol, but then again there could be some very well-informed folk here who can help.

Anyway, to the point: my doc wants to run a liver test on me this week.

If the test shows that my liver has been harmed, does time heal it? Does it get 'better'?

Please, I do not ask this because I want it to get better so that I can abuse it again.

Either way, I am in my second attempt at sobriety in as many weks, and I believe my time for complete abstenance in upon me, regardless of the liver test.

Yours, in peace,

-Phillips
Old 11-01-2005, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Phillips,

Of course it depends on the amount of alcohol ingested, # of years, age, other conditions...etc, but the liver is a splendid organ, very capable of healing once the toxins have been removed...ie alcohol.

Not an MD. Just an RN in recovery.

Peace and Love
Tanya
Old 11-01-2005, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had elevated liver enzymes and triglycerides too, but my tests are perfectly normal since I stopped boozin - funny how that works!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So long as your Liver Disease hasn't progressed to Cirrhosis....time and abstinence should heal your Liver. However you have to be careful as there are other things which can damage your Liver...most notably OTC Pain medicines such as Aspirin, Tylenol, etc.

Are you showing symptoms of Liver Disease...is that why your doctor want's to run Liver tests on you?

If you are, and your slipping in your sobriety, you might want to check out some help from an organization like AA. The stories I have heard about people dying from Liver Disease are real horror ones....just search these boards and you can read some...scary stuff. Should be yet ANOTHER good incentive to stay sober

Good Luck
Old 11-01-2005, 09:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SPF - I just think the doctor wants to look a bit closer because I have told her that I think I drink too much, and have given examples of how much.

I suppose that, coupled with my physique and age etc., might suggest to her that I need to be checked out.

I have looked up liver disease symptoms on google and can't see anything that might say that I have the disease... so far.

I take aspirin daily to thin my blood.

Test this afternoon, results next week.

- Phillips
Old 11-02-2005, 12:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Morning Phillips

I went to see my doctor when I quit drinking. I had an LFT (Liver Function Test) and basically, I can't remember which, but one or two of the readings were very high indeed. Obviously, as I had been belting back untold units of alcohol. But, and here's the good news, I had another 3 months later and the levels were much reduced and then another a further 3 months later and readings were back to normal

I will say this though - I was advised early on to seek and get help if I wanted to stay sober. Stopping drinking is easy, staying stopped takes the work. Work at it and the rewards are quite astonishing. May I suggest you find an ongoing recovery program. I use AA (Alcoholics Anonymous), but there are others.

much love
JC
Old 11-02-2005, 04:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks JaySee, for the encouraging news you had - shines a little light where there has been darkness.

- Phillips
Old 11-02-2005, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

look at side effects of any prescriptions you have, don't drink.
take milk thistle. I am proof on how milk thistle helps to reduce elevated liver enzymes. My doc. was very surprised at how quickly my liver enzymes got in check.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well I take aspirin, beta-blockers and anti-cholesterol tablets daily. Plus Allopurinol for the gout.

I know these have side effects of some kind.

Anyway, my blood (not ALL of it!) has been removed from my arm and should be flying off to the test centre and I will be seeing doc in a week's time.

Keep ya posted.

- Phillips
Old 06-06-2006, 11:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm back after a period away, and just re-reading some of my posts, and found this one I had not 'finished'.

At that time, the tests came back as 'normal'. I then carried on drinking. Naturally.

NOw, in June 06, as I have put in another thread, I have been tested again and the results show an elevated liver enzyme, and I am being asked to have another test in a month's time.

Sorry for not updating this thread.

- Phillips
Old 06-07-2006, 01:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

well, just remember, the liver is the only organ capable of massive regeneration. that should be of some comfort. it takes at least 6 months to undue most longterm damage.

good luck!
Old 06-07-2006, 01:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you are here again...
I hope this is the time for you to quit drinking...
Old 06-07-2006, 04:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tow and Carol, thanks for reading me again.

I don't like to give statements out like 'I'm deffo stopping this or that'. I'm taking one day at a time, monitoring ALL my food and drink intake (no booze), and trying to level myself.

I want to stop, that's why I'm here; like maky others, it's taking me longer than I hoped, but this liver enzyme thing is a new shock to me.

I'll close this thread now, and post on the other I started.

Thanks again.

- Phillips
Old 06-07-2006, 05:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Someone else mention Milk Thistle... active ingredient Silymarin. This has long been known to promote good liver health. Also Vitamin E is good for the liver as well as the B vitamins.

Yes... the liver is one of the few organs that is capable of regeneration. Look at the people that receive partial liver transplants from live donners. It is an amazing organ with thousands of functions necessary for life. SO thank goodness it has regenerative abilities.

Of course, end stage liver disease and failure is fatal. The liver can only take so much and there is a point where it does not recover. But for the most part, abstinance and proper diet will do wonders.

signed,
Another RN in recovery.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Good to see you back Phillips

Had enough yet.?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Milk thistle (an herb) as well as Kudzu (chinese herb) both help clean your liver out and begin to repair it. There are also "cleansing" herbs that assist in the detox process.

Mostly, I think as you get clean and stay clean it heals on its own. You can also help your body by drinking lots of water and getting some exercise.

Peace, Levi
Old 06-07-2006, 09:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JaySee

Had enough yet.?
That's a very worrying question... time will tell.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i remmber someone sharing at a meeting
how his liver has regenerated
and
he got his first good results in 10 years

me, personally,
my liver is normal
but
there was a time for a few years
the enzmne count was off
so
it happens

anywho, drinking doesn't help

best
fraankie
Old 06-07-2006, 10:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Question Liver

Originally Posted by Doodlebug
Someone else mention Milk Thistle... active ingredient Silymarin. This has long been known to promote good liver health. Also Vitamin E is good for the liver as well as the B vitamins.

Yes... the liver is one of the few organs that is capable of regeneration. Look at the people that receive partial liver transplants from live donners. It is an amazing organ with thousands of functions necessary for life. SO thank goodness it has regenerative abilities.

Of course, end stage liver disease and failure is fatal. The liver can only take so much and there is a point where it does not recover. But for the most part, abstinance and proper diet will do wonders.

signed,
Another RN in recovery.
Hi everyone, I am new to this, but this is a subject that scares me greatly because my husband passed away from liver failure, but I have continued to drink on a daily basis until two weeks ago, when I finally decided enough is enough. It has been horrible, for the first three days I could not even get out of bed but I am feeling much better although sick to my stomach. My question is, how long does it really take until the bloating goes away. I have gained 20 lbs from drinking but still look like a beached whale.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!
It's great to see you have started sobriety..Congratulations!

To answer your question..it depends on the person.
All my family are pear shaped..even the non drinkers.
I still am and I have been sober for years.

I suggest you have a check up ASAP
to have any doubts alleviated.

I am sorry for the loss of your husband...how sad.

Keep in focus..Take care..