Notices

Just remembered

Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just remembered

A few years ago, when I was attempting to moderate my drinking, I would wake up with a hangover and look for a pen. Then I would write "N" on my left hand and "D" on my right hand. This was supposed to remind me not to drink on that day, when the hangover wore off and the little voice started its routine around 4pm...

At that time I was training for runs. I would try only to drink at weekends after a 10k or half marathon. After a run, I would go straight to the pub and have four or five pints of Hoegaarden and then continue with wine at home...

The next day, instead of feeling great after the run, I would be severely hungover, dehydrated and miserable. I would than start the "N" and the "D" on my hands cycle all over again until the next weekend run...

The beers I had after the races never made me feel as good as I thought they were going to do. In fact they probably killed off the natural endorphins which make us feel good after exercise. I also smoked in those days so any benefit from the fresh air was also cancelled out. Like so many other aspects of alcohol and nicotine, the enjoyment was an illusion. it was addiction, pure and simple. Feeding the monster.

Not drinking is so much easier than trying to moderate!! And so much less time-consuming, frustrating and stressful! I'm never ashamed of myself for waking up with a clear head these days...

Good luck to everyone today - you can do it!!

Brazzaville
Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are so correct. There is no shame in being sober.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Why would I be ashamed to be sober - best thing I've had happen to me.

Moderation for alcoholics is just a last straw attempt of control before the inevitable collapse and final surrender before true sobriety and recovery. I didn't even bother to moderate - I knew what I was and I knew the deal. I am an alcoholic, why bother moderating? It's ego trying to assert itself. I jumped into the deep end and stayed there until I couldn't breathe anymore.

Great reminder how we truly abuse our bodies...yikes.