Notices

oh what do i do

Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

oh what do i do

Ive tried aa. Doctors. Councilling etc nothing works. How can i stay sober. I keep quiting for a few weeks then i get drunk. I know this is abit "im useless and i need attension lol" but i honestly am worried il never get my life back. I cant imagine ever staying sober. I pied blood twice today. I went doctor again but they just said urine infection but i know its drink related.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me, accepting that alcohol was no longer an option in my life was immensely helpful.

I also found reading 'sober for good' to have been a gold mine of great information and tips how to stay stopped.

If I hadn't stopped, I would have destroyed my life, crippled my health and died well before my time.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don;t know how many Drs you tried, or how much you put into AA, or whether you checked out any other recovery methods Boris...but a good rule of thumb I had was to commit to working harder on staying sober than you do on getting drunk...

If you really feel you gave all those things 100% then maybe it's time to look at Rehab?

D
Old 01-29-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Like most things. Ill say i gave 100% but i know i gave my usual 30% lol. Thanks. In the morning when im sober i hope do somwthing positive. I want to be sober. I really do
Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you looked into AVRT? I don't believe that some things work and others don't but some things may be more helpful to you at a certain time. AVRT helped me at the beginning to really take the option of drinking off the table. Just keep trying Boris x
Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wil keep taking advise. Ill keep trying. I need to do this. I feel like theres an impending doom if i dont. Sorry if this is abit woe is me. I hope everyone else is doing better than me
Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok so the next morning i dusted myself off and am trying again. Im gunna try downing sugary orange juice when i need a drink. Ill try anything lol
Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey boris, sounds like you were in a pretty bad place. Hope you can find the support you need...

...don't give up giving up... maybe when you want to drink, throw yourself into researching where to find support - someone suggested maybe a spell in rehab, it might be worth starting the process of finding an appropriate one - or not if it's not for you - but researching where - how - anything - to get the support you need.

All the best ok? Stick with it.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good luck, boris.....stay away from tha booze!!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

this may sound harsh, but that's not the intent. It's what I had to do to finally stop for good.

stop trying, and start doing.

Do it. Grab a recovery method and DO it. Even if it seems stupid, do it, it'll keep you busy for awhile if nothing else.

Don't drink. The rest is gravy...and you'll learn how to cook it as you go. But don't drink.

And trying this or that, tasting this or that...commenting on whether or not it needs salt or a dash of basil is all fine and well, but the real long and short of it is don't drink.

We can detail ourselves out of recocvery real quick. We can try till we are blue in the face and it gets us nowhere. We can argue with ourselves, others and recovery programs and rehabs...or we can do it.

The level of honesty that we reach when we finally truly internalize the truth is if we want a life different that what we have, we have to not drink. That's it. That honesty.

First we don't drink, then we learn the fine points.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Boris, when you want to drink, have an alternate short-term goto item, besides the juice, walk out of the house, away from the booze, distract yourself until it passes.
I used to concentrate on cleaning one thing (stove, microwave, bathroom)...i figured it was positive and i enjoyed the results rather than being disgusted with myself.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

boris, i felt like this too.
Until I truly applied AA i couldnt get out of it.
AA isnt about sitting in a seat twice a week.
get a sponsor, join a step study, work the steps, and POOF.

I NEVER thought it would work for me, i felt different then THEM, they were all so happy.
but i forced myself for abit and kept it up.

now year and half later, boy that time flew, i am recovering bit by bit
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

try it again but commit yourself and you will get there.
Probably said hundred times on here but if i can do it you can.
I WAS SO WEAK.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Boris,

I have done it so far by going to AA. At first it was not comfortable for me, but the evidence suggested that it's worked for untold numbers of people just like you and me. The first couple of months I thought maybe just being there and listening and occasionally sharing would do the trick, but I finally committed to the program and I'll be damned if it didn't work.

I had to keep an open mind and become willing, get a sponsor and start working the steps. Just completed step 7 yesterday. The miracle will happen if you let it...
Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Boris, your post really got me thinking, hopefully I can step you through my thought process, because I think your post (begging for help) may have helped me.

I am retired military, so my instinctive answer to someone complaining to me that something is 'too hard' is to tell them "suck it up, be a man!"

Then, being 3 days sober, I thought, "I have no right to tell anyone that. I have really struggled with this myself."

Then this occurred to me: NO ONE can stop me (or you) from drinking. I have lied, sneaked, stolen, diverted, accused, manipulated...you name it to get another drink. No one could ever stop me. Unstoppable, when it matters to me.

Then I wondered what would happen if I turned it around. What would happen if I put that kind of commitment into staying sober? NO ONE can make me (or you) drink.

I found some comfort in that thought. I hope you do as well.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Then I wondered what would happen if I turned it around. What would happen if I put that kind of commitment into staying sober?
this is exactly how i got thru the first two weeks. Put the same amoount of energy into drinking as you did to get a drink
Old 01-31-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I do really fancy a drink. But when i finish work im gunna go straight home.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Boris, my heart goes out to you. It took a close brush with death for me to walk into AA and give up trying to do it my way. I'm an agnostic, it doesn't matter. I got tremendous support from other alcoholics to help me stay sober. It worked. I just don't drink today ... for the last 22 years.