Notices

Boredom

Old 01-23-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boredom

It might sound sad and ridiculous to most but the main reason I started drinking heavy was just boredom. I just kinda realized that. Drinking does pass time. If you are drunk you can watch a Sanford and Sons marathon and be completely content. Has anyone else found themselves abusing alcohol because they were just bored with everyday life? Isn't that why most people start drinking to begin with, to have a good time and not be bored?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I never really believed boredom existed.

My definition of boredom is the brain's inability to put the body to use.

What is your definition of boredom?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

what, you never been bored sugarbear? You are talking in bumper stickers. boredom is a noun for the feeling of feeling listless and unexcited with your current situation
Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Boredom definitely contributed to my motivation to drink. Meanwhile, I was more stagnant than ever when I was drinking wine.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I drank, boring things became artificially interesting.

Now that I'm sober, I only do things that are of interest to me and I now avoid boring things.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
LOL whoa now...not a damn thing wrong with a Sanford and Sons marathon.

I agree with xune, when I was drunk boring things became artifically fun. I decided to cut out the middle man and actually do something fun instead.

It doesn't have to be balls to the walls excitement either. Just reflecting, reading, relaxing...there is comfort in those things as well, and I find where there is comfort and ease, boredom does not exist.

There's another current thread about this right now (maybe even more than one?), but the concept of being bored is interesting to me. I think that if I waited for something external to come along and excite me, then I guess I might have some time being bored while waiting for that to happen...but I don't do that, so I don't experience boredom. I'm not blowing smoke here or talking in bumper stickers.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
High on Life

Being bored was one of the main reasons I used alcohol and drugs. When you are high, you don't have to look for things to do. Just running errands was exciting or doing chores around the house is exciting. Being high turns the mundane experiences into magically fun experiences.

When I became sober, I had to come to the realization that I am not meant to feel that good or be that stimulated all of the time. I had to settle for the dull moments of life. It took some getting used to, but now my life is pretty full, that I actually never get bored. Actually pretty busy, between work and studying for my PhD, I would love some occasional boredom at this point.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Life became boring when I started to drink heavily. The things I used to like to do fell to the wayside because drinking took priority. Friendships drifted, I didn't like leaving my house, and I shut down any kind of openness or offerings from others. No one called me and I didn't call anyone. And I frankly became a bore myself. It certainly did pass the time, but that's because I had nothing left in my life to occupy it.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was also driven by boredom. Sit with my cocktails and even my books became more interesting. And boy did I think I was funny. But when everywhere I went a bottle came with me, sometimes one staying in the car and one staying at home...too much. People began to dread to see me, I was causing A LOT of worry and disappointment, and everything was the same. I was always drunk so why would the where or with who matter? Today was day four and while I'm no where near to fully adjusted to my new reality, I've already been so much more productive and sensible. My house is cleaner, I'm able to get up easily and make my daughter's lunch, I can appreciate again what a smart & funny little girl she is instead of kind of blowing her off wishing I were still in ned, and my husband isn't spending his evenings hiding on the computer. Wildly exciting? No. Imminently more satisfying and contributing to my self respect & motivation? Without a doubt.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
It might sound sad and ridiculous to most but the main reason I started drinking heavy was just boredom. I just kinda realized that. Drinking does pass time. If you are drunk you can watch a Sanford and Sons marathon and be completely content. Has anyone else found themselves abusing alcohol because they were just bored with everyday life? Isn't that why most people start drinking to begin with, to have a good time and not be bored?
This is just another excuse, just another way the beast oe "ism" is encouraging us to drink.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I remember a professor during a lecture once referring to boredom as depression. I have since heard that a few times here and there mainly from therapists or psychiatrists and it really seems to ring true. I am really starting to believe that boredom is simply a manifestation of depression, and throughout the last month being sober I have had some pretty great feelings at otherwise "boring" times. There seem to be these temporary periods where I feel the depression lifting and its hard to feel bored- even if I'm doing something mundane like work or cleaning. Not sure what my point is but I think it helps to understand what is really going on and that the boredom seems to really just be more related to our own depressed brains.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paradox, Humor, Change

When I was a little boy I would gripe at my Nana. "Nana, I am bored" and then she would counter "that's ridiculus, go play with your big toe."

Desmond Dekker - Israelites 1968 - YouTube
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You could take up a hobby: guitar, golf, bowhunting (bowhunting is cheaper than golf and a more rigorous workout once you slay something! or you could just shoot targets, but you can't eat targets!)....

Or, if you have the money or can get a loan/grant, go back to school. It will keep you busy. Trust me Intro Accounting is kicking my ass! But it is fun and I am almost not drinking at all. I am also taking Word Processing, but its really not that challenging. School is ideal, just not cheap.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

For non-drinkers, boredom is sitting four hours in the waiting room of a hospital. For an alcoholic, boredom is not drinking.

Drinking is not an activity. When an alcoholic isn't drinking that unfulfilled restlessness that can only be removed by being drunk is part of the addiction.

And feeling bored in recovery is too often the path to relapse.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Before my recovery, when I would not drink I would be bored, irritable, anxious, depressed, uncomfortable and restless just to name a few. Drinking was a great treatment for those things. Actually drinking probably saved me from doing much dumber things in an effort to treat my seemingly unbearable internal condition. Problem was that booze became less and less effective and I was having to drink more and more. You know the story.
I threw myself into the program of recovery outlined in AAs 12 steps upon leaving treatment and can honestly say that I dont think I have been bored since. Aside from working with other alcoholics as the program suggests, I have tons of stuff to do. I find that I have very little free time when I actually take care of my responsibilities with marriage, home and work. When Friday night rolls around and I sit down on the couch for the first time all week with "nothing to do" it is a beautiful feeling!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Since I sobered up I realized I did not have a life drinking. I had isolated myself from everything and everybody. I now realize it is up to me to create a full and meaningful life. I am active in AA starting on church. Going to some fun classes. Dinner, golf, gardening, movies and lately watching Breaking Bad with my wife. I found boredom was the result of being to lazy to actually do something in the real world.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is my trigger too. Whenever I feel it, I act immediately. Following an advice from this forum, I have a list of enjoyable activities planned. I don't have any friends at all, so they are solo activities like going to a comedy movie, wash a car, exercise: nordic skiing became my passion. It releases endorphines, and watching a snowy forest while I run calms me down.

Bottom line: have something planned. If you become bored, don't wait until it's too late. Just act.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I created boredom so I could drink.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Paradox, Humor, Change

I just came to say HELLO

I Just Came to Say HELLO - Martin Solveig et Dragonette Lyrics - YouTube