Notices

Scared

Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared

Hey everyone. I'm new and on day 5. No cravings yet but I'm more of a binger than everyday drinker so that makes sense I guess. Actually I should say I WAS a binge drinker. Those days are over.

Have my arraignment tomorrow for my DWI case and my license will be confiscated and revoked. I'm devastated and wondering how I am going to handle telling people what happened when they ask why my husband is driving me to work. Haven't left the house in 5 days except to walk the dog...

I know drinking or smoking will do nothing to fix my problems or ease my pain. Thanks for listening!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Things get better, especially when sober. I don't have any experience with the DWI thing, but a lot of people on here do. You'll find a lot of support here!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on day 5! It does get better. You don't have to tell anyone why your hubby is driving you to work. Simply say saving on gas etc.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I agree with LadyinBC, you can say you're saving on gas if need be. Can you apply for a restricted license to get to work or church? I don't have experience in this area, I am not sure.

Good luck! And good job using the past tense, we 'were', we are sober today!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wish you luck at court and congratulations on making some life changes! I have found that being sober makes everything easier despite how tough things get in life
Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

It will be OK. This, too, shall pass. Be grateful that it only took a DWI to get your attention. I know people who have done serious prison time before they got sober. And guess what--they manage to hold their heads up. Because they are FREE. Not free from prison, but free from the self-imposed bondage that addiction is.

I know it feels horrible and shameful now, but as you get better you can reframe it as a positive turning point in your life.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I still have a DUI that is still in the courts. I had my license suspended for 90 days right after the arrest. To be honest, no one asked me why I was taking public transit or biking. And anyone that knew me knew what happened, so that was something I didn't have to worry about.

Why your husband is driving is none of anyone's business, as much as your drinking / not drinking is. For me, I was just grateful I didn't harm or kill anyone...if that were the case, my revoked license and nosy people would be the very least of my concerns.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Just following up - made it to day 7 and feeling good about that. Survived the first court appearance yesterday - the first of several, but at least I am on the road - no pun intended - to resolving the situation. I feel very grateful that I was able to hire a lawyer to assist me, so I don't feel totally lost in the process. I was fingerprinted and had a mugshot taken - really makes you feel like a criminal. I have to keep reminding myself that's not who I am. I am a person with a problem who made a mistake.
Feeling pretty anxious being at work today, like "everybody knows." Just keeping my head down and hoping everyone will just leave me alone.
One positive is that I will have some downtime between when I finish work and when my husband will be picking me up. So I joined the gym we have in our building and will be able to get in some good workout time while I am waiting for him. Making the best of a bad situation!
Thanks everyone
Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alison - great job - healthy body, healthy mind. This too shall pass