Notices

famous tea-totallers

Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

famous tea-totallers

hi guys, when i was going my phase of trying to figure out if i needed to quit drinking, i found a page on the web that had a list of various well known movie stars, musicians, scientists, statesmen, writers, etc... who had quit alcohol for one reason or another.

I found the list quit comforting, as a few people on the list were past favourites for me. I was surprised to see the blues singer Tom Waits had been quit for 10 years (he was very famous for his bar room ballads) and also that Richard Feynman had quit following a trip to Brazil where he had been on the p*ss for several days and had realised he had past borderline.

Anyway, for some reason, seeing that these people who for whatever rason I feel some sort of admiration and respect for had quit, also helped to steer me towards accepting that I too could have a sober life.

Maybe it will help others.

List of teetotalers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

would be interested in any others not on the list and also, who is your favourite teetotaler
Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

this guy is hillarious, interesting that he quit, stating that its easier to control his weight for movies - but he does give a clue that many of us would appreciate:

Pegg, whose daughter Matilda turns three in July, insists he is a better father now that he is no longer a big drinker.

He adds: "I also want to be able to wake up fresh in the morning and play with my kid. You can't be a present parent and drink, unless you take it in turns to lie in until 11 every morning."

That's right Simon, well done sir !

Simon Pegg gives up alcohol - UTV Entertainment
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Interesting. I would like to know some of their stories.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Did not see Robert Downey Jr. on the list. Talk about a 180 degree turn around!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for that.
It helped with the "Poor me, Im missing out" feeling. Such a silly feeling anyway, really, I mean, its only alcohol. Many people dont drink just because.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing! I had no idea some of these people didn't drink (for whatever reason)

I think Catherine Tate is hilarious & I like a lot of her material

Didn't know about Zappa-he was probably one of the coolest cats to have ever walked the planet

Xx
Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you can be cool and sober, its official !
Old 01-16-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Interesting article

The end of the bender? Stars embrace sobriety - Features - Health & Families - The Independent
Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilyrosemary View Post
Interesting. I would like to know some of their stories.
Me too, but you never know, maybe you have, whats to say some dont post here
Old 01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's quite a long list And to think we're always complaining that everyone drinks

Tom Waits is my hero, and there's no way he could have done all the wonderful stuff he's done if he had carried on drinking. I think he freely admits that.

Nice to see Simon Pegg there too

Bill Hicks is another... I didn't see him on there.

I'm crossing my fingers that Doug Stanhope gets sober and embraces AA. That'd be ace.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrTumble View Post
you can be cool and sober, its official !
And I think that's why celebrities who share their stories do a great service to us all...

We just have to remember they are human too. Some don't get it the first go around. Some never do, sadly.

My favorite folk singer songwriter, ever, died a little more than a year ago... Perhaps a result of his battles with alcoholism, I don't know the details... I think he had started his recovery not long before his death, but, I don't really know. I listened to his CDs over and over, read his novel, I felt like he was a brother, though I met him only once. I cried real tears when I heard.

His songs about drinking were as poignant and real as only one who was there can express. Bill Morrissey. RIP.