Notices

Alcoholism Is Not Cancer......

Old 01-09-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
My father just had a major 8hr surgery that, hopefully, removed a tumor that may or may not be cancerous. As I visited him in ICU several were many folks there due to cancer complications. I find it offensive when folks compare alcoholism to cancer or diabities. I don't see cancer patients stealing from family, crashing cars, blaming others ect... The fact is that my past alcohol/drug use caused me to be a criminal & become an outcast in society. There has never proven to be a "alcoholic gene". The truth is that thinking as alcoholism as a disease never helped me becoming sober.
You are right they have never found the gene, but it is believed that there is a genetic component to alcoholism. It is probably closer to a mental disorder of the neurotransmitters.

Actually thinking alcoholism as a decease was used to make it less stigmatizing to the public, but in the end it is OURSELVES that are responsible for ending the madness. Our will power alone.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My will power was useless in the end. My recovery began when I surrendered.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-09-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I think it is perfectly acceptable to think of alcoholism as a disease. Many cases of diabetes and cancer are caused by making bad personal life choices, such as smoking, drinking excessively, or eating poorly. These habits can cause biophysical changes that become harmful to human health. Drinking excessively is a habit choice that also causes real biophysical changes in the body resulting in almost overwhelming urges to drink more. You can read the book Under the Influence as a quick reference documenting these changes. Luckily, alcoholism is a disease where the cure/treatment involves making healthy choices and waiting for the body to repair itself. Similarly, cases of diabetes have also been put into remission when patients started making healthy lifestyle decisions (e.g. eating healthy and losing weight). I firmly believe alcoholism is a real disease.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Here ya go skippy!

Gene for Alcoholism is Discovered (GABA & GABRG3 - Mental Health Disorders on MedicineNet.com
Old 01-09-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thank you everyone. The thought of this topic came up in my mind as I was walking through the hospital on his floor. I am pretty sure that I'm not the only one though who took "the disease concept" & used it to drink again and again. Also, I do not believe that the majority of folks believe its a disease. They may say it but deep down inside I feel like the majority of my friends/family never believed I had "a disease". Why do treatment professionals act surprised when someone relapses? Also, alcohol/drug addiction is the only disease that can lead to criminal charges. I never tell anyone who I meet that I'm sober & in recovery. I feel the risk is too great.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I doubt that anyone would argue that some people are predisposed to addictions. To suggest that some have absolutely no free will or power of choice in the matter is where it all gets a little silly.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

am pretty sure that I'm not the only one though who took "the disease concept" & used it to drink again and again.
no I doubt you're not - doesn't mean the disease concept is necessarily inherently flawed tho - it just means you're flawed...like we all are

Did I use my cerebral palsy and all the attendant struggles that causes as a reason to drink - hell yes.

Was it a real reason to drink - no, of course not

D
Old 01-09-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Is the powerless thing... just a trait that some of us have? Or is it a disease? I think the former, myself... Because when I quit drinking I didn't feel like I had a disease... Trait yes, I will accept that... My CNS loves altered states, too much I am afraid...
Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I don't agree with the disease model for alcoholism either. As unpopular as this idea is, I think that one has to take responsibility for being an alcoholic for a large extent. I feel like alcoholism has been my choice. I have had countless opportunities to stop, and I can chalk a lot of them up to me being too unwilling to change (and I admit that I enjoy drinking). Of course, over the years the brain chemistry changes after drinking so much and then I'm more likely to get carried away.

Day 3 here for me, almost on day 4. Today I continue to make the choice to not drink.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome to RQ! Congrats on 4 days (shortly). We have all been there too.
I consider my drinking nothing more than an addiction, for me, i treat it with the lack of respect it deserves....and it has taken me many years to stop my self -pity party.
Jf1, i hope you father is healing.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
, I do not believe that the majority of folks believe its a disease.
It matters not what the majority of people think on the matter.

Regarding the disease model...I will let the academics, medical professionals and researchers test their own theses and draw their conclusions accordingly.

Me? I concentrate on my recovery and things within my sphere of influence.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I hope your father recovers, JF1. And glad you are in recovery to be there for your family.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
High on Life

I haven’t read through this whole thread as it is rather long, but according to what I learned in school.

Alcoholism is a disease because of the following:

It has biological properties, that can be proven by comparing twins who were separated at birth. Both would most likely be alcoholics.

It does not depend on the existence of another disease, which means it can exist on its own.

It is progressive in nature and gets worse over time.

It is also chronic fatal if left untreated.

Look I understand why some people get upset when you compare it to diabetes, because people feel like it was the person’s choice, because they kept drinking. What about the person who was warned to watch their sugar intake, because they were on the verge of developing Type II Diabetes? Does that make it any less worse of a disease? Or the person that smokes knowing the risks of developing lung cancer? What about obesity? Or Acne? These are all diseases. The problem is you’re comparing apples to oranges. All diseases are not the same, therefore they cannot be compared the same way. You can view it however you want, but for now the medical community has spoken.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Considering by the DSM IV - TR , Addiction, IS a disease.

I am very sorry for your loss by the way, but I am a student and a survivor of alcoholism who is still struggling.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I have seen three people die because of their disease of alcoholism and neither of them stole (that I know of, a box of wine is $10, that can last you two days, and you can hide it), the crappy kind.

It's a disease, it does kill, and I'm glad that through health care that it is finally being recognized so through the medical community and insurances.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Praying for your father, JF1, to make a speedy recover. And I am glad you are in recovery to be there for him at this time.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vegibean View Post
Considering by the DSM IV - TR , Addiction, IS a disease.

I am very sorry for your loss by the way, but I am a student and a survivor of alcoholism who is still struggling.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I have seen three people die because of their disease of alcoholism and neither of them stole (that I know of, a box of wine is $10, that can last you two days, and you can hide it), the crappy kind.

It's a disease, it does kill, and I'm glad that through health care that it is finally being recognized so through the medical community and insurances.

I am sorry, I hope your dad fully recovers, I thought he had passed, my apologies. I hope he is on the mend, and I know cancer is rough, I have had a couple of friends that have been through it and lost the battle no matter how hard they tried to be healthy.

I'm sorry...
Old 01-09-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I just consulted my textbook. It confirms (again) what my BB thumping (and I love that) sponsor pointed out. The only time the word "disease" appears in the first 164 is on page 64, where it is revealed that SPIRITUAL disease is a frequent result of resentment.

I have always held that alcoholism has 3 components that are clearly outlined in the BB:

Physical: a component of the alcoholic- genetic or not- that causes an allergic reaction to alcohol

Mental: that we are defenseless against the first drink;

Spiritual: That the combination of the above two plus spiritual disease contribute to the phenomenon of alcoholism.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Alcoholism is alcoholism - why compare it to anything else?

The only thing I call it is "deadly".
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
never alone again

You can call it an allergy, malady, or disease as long as you realize that it is terminal if left untreated. I choose to call my problem a disease, and a progressive one. I have been in recovery 3 times with multiple years sober each time. When I stopped going to meetings, hanging with people in recovery, and having faith in my higher power, I relapsed. Each time it was much worse and had progressed as if never in remisson. I picked right up where I was 7 years earlier.

I just celebrated 1 year Dec. 14. I hope and pray this is the last 1 year chip I ever get because I know I can get drunk again, but don't know if I will have the chance to get sober again.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

In general, I find that starting conversations with "this or that is offensive" will get you nowhere (and I say this as a member of a minority for whom many things could be big-O "Offensive!" if I let it get to me).

Much more productive to start with "irritating", "annoying" or "troubling". These words make you seem less excitable and the people reading you less as though they are being accused of something.