Notices

Drinking Dreams back with an attitude...

Old 01-02-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking Dreams back with an attitude...

I know that this thread has been exhausted before, and most of us have had drinking dreams.

I had them most frequently when I first got sober, however, now after about 2-1/2 years sober, and no drinking dreams for some time, I have had them every night for about the past 2 weeks.

The funny thing is that I am totally alcoholic in my dreams. Last night I was dreaming that I cracked open the first beer of a six pack, was confronted by my wife as to why I was drinking, so instead of stopping I slammed the six pack. I totally would have done that while actively drinking! Lol.

Anybody else ever get hit with a tidal wave of drinking dreams, so close together?

Zube
Old 01-02-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm fairly new to being sober, but I have drinking dreams often. Almost nightly... Last night I dreamed that I was behind the shed shotgunning a beer and my wife busted me. She walked away disgusted, and in my dream I figured to myself, "effit, I'm already busted so I might as well just sit out here and finish the case"... I felt terrible about it though...

Weird thing is that the dream took place at the house where I grew up and haven't been to since I was 15 years old, but in my dream my wife and I were living there...
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForMyGirls View Post
Weird thing is that the dream took place at the house where I grew up and haven't been to since I was 15 years old, but in my dream my wife and I were living there...
That's funny you say that FMG. Most of mine are at parties with high school or college friends, some 20 odd years ago. Back way before I crossed the line of being a full blown alcoholic.

Zube
Old 01-02-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
High on Life

I never have drinking dreams, but I have ecstasy dreams from time to time. That was my drug of choice over 10 yrs ago and I haven't had it since. Mostly, because the people that I associated with didn't do it. The scarey thing about it is, that I might actually consider it if the opportunity ever presented itself. Scarey thought.....
Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I have them too. I am either drinking, getting some, or figuring out a way to get some. I have to say sometimes I wake up in a panic for a few seconds then sigh in relief.

They seem to come and go. I will dream about it for a few days in a row or a week and then not at all.

I was worried at first, but many people have said that this is normal. And in the end I can't help what I dream and of course not drinking is always on my mind so I guess it isn't surprising that I'm dreaming about it.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to read this. I've had some too. Very vivid and kind of frightening as they were so real.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

7+ years in and i can have the same thing happen. pretty wild how real they are. i havent been confronted by anyone int hem(yet) but remember myself taking that 1st drink then saying,"awww sh*t. here we go again."
i have woke up in a cold sweat from them, not knowing where i was only to find out i was in my own bed.
they seem to come in spurts, but less and less frequently( havent had em in a while and prolly wil tonite now!LOL).
i try not to read too much into them and when i realize it was a dream, get a huge honkin dose of gratitude.

now, after saying i try not to read too much into them,zube, im wonderin iffen they coulda been brought on by events leading up to yer friend dieing from alcoholism recently.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

not sure what's going on with ya, but have you seen Don C's "4 Seasons of Recovery" on you tube?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by sofie View Post
Glad to read this. I've had some too. Very vivid and kind of frightening as they were so real.
Do you ever have lucid dreams? Dreams that you can control and know you are dreaming?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No- the dreams about drinking feel and seem out of control, just like my drinking was...I've had to pinch myself a few times in the morning to make sure I was dreaming...but they seem very real when they are happening and it's hard to wake myself out of them- its like I try to open my eyes to make it stop and they are glued shut. Maybe that's weird. Just had one two days ago and I've been 5 months sober. It was with my former drinking cohorts and it was like even when I was dreaming, I knew it was bad- maybe that's why I awakened in a panic...I don't know- I have very vivid and recurring dreams about a lot of anxiety provoking stuff and always have. Maybe that's par for me...scary nonetheless.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I can usually wake myself up from a dream, I blink really fast. But yes the drinking definately do make me panic!

I think we dream alot of what is in our subconciense and garbage that our brains filter. I do have some pretty interesting dreams sometimes!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In some of my drinking dreams I have actually had a blackout in my dream, where I remember starting to drink at night, then all of the sudden it is morning in my dream, and I am still drinking, with no recollection of what happened in between.

Crazy stuff, the alcoholic mind is.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I actually had a dream this morning that I was totally hungover- super vivid, everything was there, the headache, horrible anxiety, nausea, then I woke up and actually was hungover..... I thought man this is unreal I can't believe I got wasted last night and am feeling so horrible. Then I actually woke up for real and had to look around for a bit to realize I didn't actually drink and wasn't actually hungover.

I actually dreamed that I woke up from a dream but it was still a dream Inception style lol.

I'm pretty sure my brain hates me.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ohio1 View Post
I'm pretty sure my brain hates me.
Yours too?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I really had them a bunch, started to lessen at 5 months or so in. What a pleasure it is to wake up sober... at first I wasn't comfortable with them but now it's sort of a blessing...the reminder of how crappy things were, I pray to God I never forget.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

They come in batches for me. It's been a month or so since the last one. But man, when they hit, they hit hard sometimes. Still wake up panicked. Always a sigh of relief when I realize it didn't happen...but it still feels real when I'm in it. The power of the subconscious mind...
Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had another one last night. In it, I was boozing it up with an ex-"fling" from years ago. Cheating on my wife (something I have never done and would never EVER, EVER do) and getting drunk with the fling... The thought of this girl has not even crossed my mind for close to 15 years yet she was in my dreams last night! Along with my other "mistress"- alcohol... Weird!!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had them on a fairly regular basis, but for the past several weeks they've vanished completely.

I expect they'll return some day, I think they run on a cycle, you'll have them for a while, then you won't, then back again.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad to see I'm not the only one who wakes up panicked from these things. I had one last night that I drank a bar out of beer. Was just drinking constantly then the bartender told me I had been there for 24 hours and drank every last beer they had - then I wake up in a panic thinking I blew it and drank last night.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have one that's recurring in different forms and endings. Set in the future always. I'm overseas on a work trip and drinking to excess and get so carried away I blow the job off, miss the flight home, max out all my my credit card, over stay at the hotel and empty out the mini bar! In the dream I sober up penniless in a foreign country with no way home and think "Oh cripes! I've done it good this time!". Had this dream on and off for a few years and since going sober.

Other dreams have got us drinking in a bar. Sometimes I wake up with a "hangover" and takes me a moment to realize it didn't happen and just dehydrated and tired.