Notices

DUI "Punishment" Ending.....

Old 12-29-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

DUI "Punishment" Ending.....

Well SR friends after 15 months of having the awful alcohol machine device on my car, I have got the approval to remove it!! It was suppose to be 18 months but they said it's okay to remove now & I can get my full drivers license. This is after 3 DUI's & a few fender benders driving intoxicated. Of course, now the true test will begin. All this is because of hard work & jumping through "the hoops" of the system. Of course, I have to give credit to God, AA, friends & SR.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Fantastic news! I know you feel great. Congratulations
Old 12-29-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Fantastic news! I know you feel great. Congratulations
I feel good yet exhausted over the process I went through. People do not realize the extent that some states make you go to prove your not a danger. The truth is I don't if I will drive drunk or not. When I pick up a drink all bets and logic dissolve. It's like I'm auto pilot to self destruction. The consequences of drinking & drugging never seemed to scare me. When I pick up I do not care about anyone or anything.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
The truth is I don't if I will drive drunk or not. When I pick up a drink all bets and logic dissolve. It's like I'm auto pilot to self destruction. The consequences of drinking & drugging never seemed to scare me. When I pick up I do not care about anyone or anything.
You should visit a Doctor and run this by her.

Perhaps you can gain some insight into why you are the way you are and then learn how to live in such a way, that you do not pose a risk to the innocents around you.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Great post. Always nice to hear when hard work and dedication pay off.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=Xune;3740754]You should visit a Doctor and run this by her.

But that is the truth. I am a real alcoholic. That is why I stay sober. That is what addiction is, continued use despite consequences. I deserve to legally drive today & do not care what anyone has to say about it. I have been to jail for extended periods & would be "scared straight" for a few months but then be right back at it. I was a dedicated alcoholic & drug addict. It was like my full time job. Sadly, it was the only job I could do.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

congrats you made it. wasn't easier to do your time and not file lawsuits against your punishment?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"I am a real alcoholic. That is why I stay sober. That is what addiction is, continued use despite consequences."

A guy once put it as succinctly as I've ever heard it said..."I drank because I'm an alcoholic and I stay sober because I'm an alcoholic."
Old 12-29-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

this:
"The truth is I don't if I will drive drunk or not. When I pick up a drink all bets and logic dissolve. It's like I'm auto pilot to self destruction. The consequences of drinking & drugging never seemed to scare me. When I pick up I do not care about anyone or anything."
is why they do this:

"the extent that some states make you go to prove your not a danger. The truth is I don't if I will drive drunk or not."

keep goin to meetings, practice the principles, and carry the message one day at a time.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by robgt350 View Post
congrats you made it. wasn't easier to do your time and not file lawsuits against your punishment?
You must of followed my last post. My opinion that the machine is dangerous still remains. I know the argument is it's better than me drinking/driving. It serves no purpose other than punishing the drunk. I still could of drove "high as a kite" and not set off the horrible device. To tell everyone the truth, the judge actually thanked me for my honesty & could understand my hardship with the DUI. He probably realizes what I do, that a small % of DUI offender will never stop drinking/driving. No license? no insurance? No problem, they say & off they drive. I did the right thing & did the court process so I should be proud.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You SHOULD be proud. I still have a year left on mine, and I've learned to love the little "beep" every so often. It reminds me that I am doing the right thing. I prefer to see it not so much as "punishment" but as intense driver's ed style re-training. I can't get in the car even buzzed, I just can't. I consider myself lucky every day I never hit anyone, let alone killed anyone.

Yeah, it's money every month I could save or buy guitars with, but it's an investment in clearing the wreckage of my past, so I can drive with an unrestricted license again.

Good for you!!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
High on Life

Nice to see good things happening to you!!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
Nice to see good things happening to you!!
Yes, for a change I suppose. Probably because I have been sober for 18 months minus a day.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If I drink, I will drive drunk. That's an absolute fact. There's an easy way to avoid the problem.

1. Instead of going to meetings, I belong to a group.

2. Instead of reading a book, I do what the book says.

Somewhere along the line my choice has been returned to me where once I had no choice as to whether I drink or not. So if you see me with a DUI you can be assured that I followed one line in the book to a "T".

Pg 62 Big Book 1st Edition
"So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making". That line is the one truth out of the book that I can take regardless of what unfolds in my life.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Yes, for a change I suppose. Probably because I have been sober for 18 months minus a day.
Outstanding!
If I drink, I will drive drunk. That's an absolute fact.
You're not alone! That's me to a tee.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes and happy sober motoring J41

D
Old 12-29-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=Dee74;3740962]Best wishes and happy sober motoring J41

Thank you Dee. I look at the benefits that sobriety brings me in order to stay sober each day.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can drive now and have one in my car. So far, I haven't had any problems, other than not blowing hard enough in there and getting an "abort" message. I just don't ever want to be stranded somewhere and actually be sober.

For me, it is a good reminder. I drank in my car ALL THE TIME because I couldn't around my husband. So I was driving a death machine.

I am so glad I am sober.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=Elisabeth888;3741079]I can drive now and have one in my car. So far, I haven't had any problems, other than not blowing hard enough in there and getting an "abort" message. I just don't ever want to be stranded somewhere and actually be sober.

Glad to see you are driving. The problem I had wasn't so much blowing before I started the auto but while I was driving.