Notices

Alcoholism and sugar sensitivity

Old 12-27-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Alcoholism and sugar sensitivity

I just read about how alcoholics are prone to sugar sensitivity. This seams to be the case with me. If I don't eat right I feel off- depressed, anxious confused. Does anyone else have this and how do you keep on track? Any tips on diet or supplements? Thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sugar is metabolized the same way as ethanol. Interesting lecture on this topic
Old 12-27-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're concerned, it might be good to see your doctor to rule out things like hypoglycemia.

D
Old 12-27-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I started taking glutamine supplements, its great for muscle recovery after exercise and helps stabilise your blood sugar levels, which be in a total mess after abusing alcohol.
I've read that if your blood sugar levels in good state your less likely to crave alcohol.
Eating clean is a must also.
But as Dee says be best to talk to a doctor
Old 12-27-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

My neighbor turned me onto Dr. Lustig (the one in the video above) and his theories about 3 months ago. I had been really getting into the sugar this past year, and while at first it was ok after I stopped drinking, I realized that I was starting to use sugar the same way I was using alcohol! I was secretive about it, it certainly gave me a rush, and I would binge on it. The corner shop became my new liquor store! So realizing that, and the fact that what was mentioned in the video and in other readings I had been doing, it was easy for me to make the decision to stop. It's been about 3 weeks without any sugar of any kind - table sugar, honey, maple syrup, agave, brown sugar, splenda...and even things like ketchup, cereals or BBQ sauce where there is a lot of hidden sugars. And while I do crave a chocolate now and then, it's been great. I have lost 15 lbs. and I have fewer crashes throughout the day. I certainly have more energy and I feel less ill. While I don't have the sensitivity per se, I can relate to how sugar can be toxic, and how it can easily become another "reach".
Old 12-27-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do a search here on hypoglycemia. Some good information about that. Sugar is really toxic I think. I keep eating it though. Wish I could stop.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't have time right now to respond to this, but want to plug in. I highly recommend reading the book Sugar Blues Amazon.com: Sugar Blues (9780446343121): William Dufty: Books . It set me on a path where I cut out processed sugar entirely for a lot of years. Still keep it pretty much out of the picture, but have gotten lax about it. Considering committing to none at all again.

I have the same experience, and can become extremely depressed if I have a night of pizza and soda, or cake, ice cream, etc. The most interesting thing for me with sugar is that once it's gone, you don't want it any more. It's an addictive substance, and calls for more when it's in your system. Once it's out it loses all it's attraction. Doesn't even taste good any more, and food starts to taste better.

My advice on cutting back is to first learn all the terms for processed sugar (there are lots), and start reading labels. Cut things out a little at a time and find healthier alternatives. Time goes by quickly. Cutting it out altogether cold turkey works too, but I think most people have more staying power working at it a little at a time.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I noticed I seem to be very sensitive to sugar. It affects my moods. Once I stopped drinking I started craving sweets again.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know what you mean. Are you saying too much sugar makes you feel bad or are you saying you need a lot to feel normal?

I've had a problem with sugar as far back as a young teen when i didn't even drink. It builds up in my skin and you can see it in my face. It usually causes acne and makes me tired and kinda fugly looking.

Yea alcohol isn't nice to me in many ways.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Another good read on topic of refined carbohydrates, sugars etc. is Good calories, bad calories by Gary Taubes. Definitely best way to make sure you are eating well is making as much food as possible from scratch. Cut all the processed food - as paul99 said - lot of hidden sugars.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seanie1888 View Post
I started taking glutamine supplements, its great for muscle recovery after exercise and helps stabilise your blood sugar levels, which be in a total mess after abusing alcohol.
I've read that if your blood sugar levels in good state your less likely to crave alcohol.
Eating clean is a must also.
But as Dee says be best to talk to a doctor
Same here on the glutamine, its helped so much. My sugar levels have been really bad.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh I may have to try that glutamine too. I think the best advice I got, and there is a book with the same name, is No Flour No Sugar. Very simple advice. I wish there was a 12 step program for Sugar addicts I really do. Alcohol is easy compared to the sugar. Sugar makes e lethargic and depressed but it is like alcohol...one sweet and I binge.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
I wish there was a 12 step program for Sugar addicts I really do. Alcohol is easy compared to the sugar. Sugar makes e lethargic and depressed but it is like alcohol...one sweet and I binge.
Me too...surprised there isn't one. I wouldn't say one was easier, but I didn't need bottoms per se in sugar as I did booze to see the light. I recall a counselor in my treatment program who warned us that we would crave sweets, but said it was ok to indulge, as it was harmless compared to what we were kicking there. Enabler!

The neighbor who got me on to the sugar free diet has 9 months sugar free. My wife said I should ask him to sponsor me...
Old 12-29-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jsch View Post
I just read about how alcoholics are prone to sugar sensitivity. This seams to be the case with me. If I don't eat right I feel off- depressed, anxious confused. Does anyone else have this and how do you keep on track? Any tips on diet or supplements? Thanks

This is interesting... I've been considering the possibility that I have hypoglycemia; I can't go an afternoon without a light snack, or else I get dizzy, sweaty, and feel like I'm coming down with the flu. It's strange. It's happened the past few years. I've never thought about connecting it to the way I relate to alcohol.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JRiverBlues View Post
This is interesting... I've been considering the possibility that I have hypoglycemia; I can't go an afternoon without a light snack, or else I get dizzy, sweaty, and feel like I'm coming down with the flu. It's strange. It's happened the past few years. I've never thought about connecting it to the way I relate to alcohol.
I'm not hypoglycemic, and I have the same reaction. That's what got me to start avoiding it. I discovered it when I was working for someone (a friend in the program, ironically) who was kind enough to buy all the emplyees coffee and donuts for breakfast every morning. We'd eat em at around 6am, and by 11, I was a trembling, useless mess. Another donut would have fixed me right up, I'm sure. I somehow gravitated towards bananas, which also settled me. My blood sugar has been checked numerous times and always came back normal. I was told I must just be sensitive to sugar.

While I have no scientific proof for this, I think another benefit of cutting out sugar is that our bodies are no longer stripped of the other nutrients in foods, and we stay younger, physically, longer. I like to stay anonymous on this forum or I'd post pics and vids as proof, but you'll just have to take my word as truth. I'm going to be 52 yrs old in another month, and NOBODY believes me when I tell them. I play music with guys half my age and fit right in. I even had a guy at club a once start talking to me about how when he was my age he used to play in bands, but those days are over. And he was 5 years younger than me. Same goes for my wife. Most people think both of us are in our thirties, and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we pretty much cut out all processed sugar for over 20 years (almost 25 for me). We exercise too, but I didn't start that until I was 40. Should mention also that it's not genetic in my case as the rest of my family looks their age or older, and everyone is overweight. Posting this in hopes to inspire.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
While I have no scientific proof for this, I think another benefit of cutting out sugar is that our bodies are no longer stripped of the other nutrients in foods, and we stay younger, physically, longer. I like to stay anonymous on this forum or I'd post pics and vids as proof, but you'll just have to take my word as truth. I'm going to be 52 yrs old in another month, and NOBODY believes me when I tell them. I play music with guys half my age and fit right in. I even had a guy at club a once start talking to me about how when he was my age he used to play in bands, but those days are over. And he was 5 years younger than me. Same goes for my wife. Most people think both of us are in our thirties, and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we pretty much cut out all processed sugar for over 20 years (almost 25 for me). We exercise too, but I didn't start that until I was 40. Should mention also that it's not genetic in my case as the rest of my family looks their age or older, and everyone is overweight. Posting this in hopes to inspire.
Cool - that's given me more incentive to keep it out of my diet...consider myself inspired. Thanks!