Notices

Blew it after six weeks

Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blew it after six weeks

I had not had a drop in exactly six weeks and had not wanted any and then yesterday I bought and drank some wine. I am furious with myself and super depressed. I cannot figure out why I picked up the wine while grocery shopping because I never really have drank wine and don't buy the stuff. I have a bad feeling that this failure is going to put me back into severe depression once more since right now I am consumed with guilt and worry. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Porkpup.
Hey listen, I was sober for 7 weeks starting in March. I started to feel lots better and then like you, out of the blue I drank.
I was devastated. It totally knocked me off my feet and I thought my world had come to an end.
It was the support I received on SR that made the difference and quite literally saved my life.
I picked myself up, stepped up my AA meetings, got myself a sponsor and started to work the steps. That worked for me, but whatever plan or method you choose to follow, I suggest you step it up a gear.
I'm now 6+ months sober and feel like a completely different person.

Please don't give up. Many of us relapse or slip in the beginning. It is hard to change our ways and lives sometimes.

But it is worth it. So worth it x
Old 12-09-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

porkpup, i did the same thing many many times. you have tomorrow and the next day. dont give up. like i did the same thing and i am on day 4 today
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

alcohol was my solution until I found a new one.

not a failure, just happened and learn from it.

Move forward today! You did it once, now do it again!!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The trick is not drinking alcohol. It helps if you don't buy it or be around it if possible. (yeah, I know easier said than done). 100% honesty about what it really does to you when you drink it might help.

You can't un-drink yesterday so there's no sense beating yourself up over it. Try shooting for midnight tonight without drinking and go from there.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can get beyond this, for sure.

But, I do think it's important to try to figure out why you decided to buy and drink wine. It can be a learning experience and a positive step in your recovery if you can understand what happened.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

6 weeks is good....and you seem unhappy that you drank...so this can be progress in the long run. I've been that route too, you just pick yourself up and move further ahead.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi porkpup . Sorry you did drink, but now you do know your life is better sober, right? Pick yourself up Now-booze will only make your guilt & worry worse. I know in the past every time I quite & started again, the drinking was 10 x worse, until I was drinking all day every day to blackout by the end.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Porkpup View Post
I had not had a drop in exactly six weeks and had not wanted any and then yesterday I bought and drank some wine. I am furious with myself and super depressed. I cannot figure out why I picked up the wine while grocery shopping because I never really have drank wine and don't buy the stuff. I have a bad feeling that this failure is going to put me back into severe depression once more since right now I am consumed with guilt and worry. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks
I could always quit drinking but I couldn't "stay" quit until I committed to AA.

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 12-09-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try again buddy,get some good sleep and dont be too hard on yourself....
Old 12-09-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you make it to more AA meetings, you will come to find that lots of alcoholics have been through the same experiences. Some I know of personally have slipped up after years of not drinking and then came right back into the program working on the steps again. Relapsing is no stranger to folks in AA. Dust yourself off and try again.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement. I really should have posted on SR yesterday before I got that wine.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

There ya go pork. Next time come here and post as fast as you can

I was 95 days sober and like you picked up. I was devestated as well. I just didn't understand WHY?!?!

Anyway, I took it as a learning experience and moved on. We all slip and fall BUT it is not a falure unless you stay down.... Get back up Pork, dust yourself off and move forward sober YOU CAN DO THIS!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Six weeks is great! I blew it this time after 12 days. Last pm . Sux. I blacked out,fell down and really got quite banged up! I'm so scared! So,I'm back on day 1 again 2day. I thought I could only have a couple,it didn't work. But,I'm not giving up.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Does anyone have any advice?

Go to an AA meeting and get some face to face support.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ya,go to a meeting Porkchop,Im going to 2 a day,im like 2 weeks back and the meetings are the best thing I could be doing,also reading the Big Book every night,at least 3 pages.....
Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi porkpup

I think many of us have been where you are - I think you're right when you say 'I really should have posted on SR yesterday before I got that wine'.

My recovery was all about making different choices...reaching out was very very important in that process.

Don't give up - you'll get there

D