Notices

To anyone facing a DUI: My story

Old 12-08-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To anyone facing a DUI: My story

This might get me banned, but I'm ready to see it through.

I've been a member of these forums for years, and it was through support and phone calls I got directly from this forum I've managed to stay sober for years now. I reached out to people on this forum and they've stepped up every single time, and I've stepped up for them. People on this forum meet each other for coffee, give each other a free place to stay when traveling...etc. SR is an amazing place.

When I started, I was looking at 2 DUI's within 6 weeks of the other. Rather than look at every way possible out of it. I took a No Contest plea, and did every second of my time. 90 days for each, plus 90 days for every time I had an open bottle next to me when I was arrested.

Let me say that again. I went to county jail for 1 year.

I did it, I didn't cry about it, I didn't try to AA or rehab my way out of it. I drove drunk and now it was time to pay the price. Although excessive, I served the sentence the state thought I should. I stepped up like a man and did every second of my time.

Let me tell you about the freedom I felt on the day they called "Tex, roll it up!" I walked out of that place never having to see a judge, PO, CO, another inmate again unless I chose to. Didn't owe a fine, didn't owe a dime. I walked in semi sober, and I walked out absolutely committed to my sobriety.

I haven't had a parking ticket since. Yes, I have an interlock in my car, but that's another blessing. I'll never drink and drive again. That was two years ago. Sometimes jail is a blessing. If you have kids or a great job I totally feel for you and you should try to get some court appointed treatment, but if you're as low as I was, and you have nothing to lose...go DO your time.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure why you think you'd get banned Tex - are we that bad? lol
I'm glad to see you again - welcome back

D
Old 12-08-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Not sure why you think you'd get banned Tex - are we that bad? lol
I'm glad to see you again - welcome back

D
Oh I'm always around Dee! And thanks for the Floyd Pepper av. I read the forums, but I only post if I think I can add something.

I don't know, the rules around change sometimes. I hate to think I might get kicked out for just telling it like it was for me. That's why I posted here instead of "newcomers."

I stop in chat every now and again and I'm amazed at the newcomers and the guys who are still there from 5 years ago....
Old 12-08-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey thanks Dee. I only post every so often, and I always have to spend some time catching up on the rules. Like I said, I don't post unless I think I have something worthwhile to add.

I hung out in chat with laurie the other night and that inspired me to check the boards more and post.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Tex, and I appreciate the honesty in your post.

The best thing is that you are committed to your sobriety and that's great.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Anna! Thanks for letting me post, even on a semi-semi regular basis.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why would that post get you banned? You politely shared your story.

I'll just add that everyone is innocent until proven guilty and have the right to be represented by a defence attorney.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Texas. I'm so glad you're through with that phase of your life. You have a remarkable attitude. It's good to see you posting.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Well, I think I speak for everyone here when I say:

Just kidding. Thanks for the share Texas. Sounds like you have good things going for you.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My brother did a year for one just because he couldn't afford a lawyer.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

Inspiring tex
Old 12-09-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You guys are wonderful for letting me share my story. I thank god every day for this community because honestly, I never would have made it without it. I was sober when I chose jail, but I wouldn't have been without SR. They would have had to drag me off the street. People I know say "You made the right decision for you." and that's so true. I did what I had to do to get that monkey off my back. I'm celebrating close to 4 years clean and sober and jail was a solid year of that, paying my debts.

I post to the low bottom alcoholics. There's still a ton of light at the end of the tunnel. I did my time. I went through horrible detoxes. Today, I have a job. I drive again, I have a savings account, I pay my bills, my parents will have me in their home. It's a process, that's the important part. It's a process. It WILL come back if you work at it. People love us sober. People will help us sober. It gets better!

I'm not sure why I thought I'd get banned. I guess I thought I was spewing legal advice.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to get pulled over 3 times a week cause I had the same name as a cronic offender.

In fact within 2 hours of the border I was pulled over cause the cop thought My car was stolen.

Happened to have the bill of sale in my car which totally miffed the cop. Still got a ticket for speeding in a playground zone for 10 miles over, I'm driving a 300zx at the time.

A year in jail? woah, That's heavy punnishment. I would get the electric chair in your county.

1 DUI: Crashed into a car at a gas station.
2 DUI: Targeted by cops leaving a club
3 DUI: Convenience store clerk called me in

It's been decades since this trouble. But I'm shure the fellon who shared my name didnt help things in those days.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Maybe I can learn a thing or two with how you are dealing with the DUI's. The only thing I have learned is resentments towards the courts, DMV, MADD and others who target drunk drivers. I feel like society hates convicted drunk drivers.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
The only thing I have learned is resentments towards the courts, DMV, MADD and others who target drunk drivers. I feel like society hates convicted drunk drivers.
10,000 - 12,000 people die every year from alcohol related vehicular accidents. We read about families getting wiped out, innocents mowed down while the drivers walk away with a bruise or a scratch. It's like carrying a loaded 3500 lb weapon. So you can imagine society isn't too keen on us.

I have my court case this week. And I am pretty sure I will get what I deserve. Instead of resenting the court system (doing their job), the cops (protecting the public), MADD (helping to spread the word about not driving after drinking) and DMV (doing their job), I just focus on being grateful that me, my son or anyone else wasn't killed. I focus on being grateful that I don't have to go to jail, like the OP (but would do so if it was needed). I focus on being grateful that I will eventually be able to drive again. I focus on being grateful that I can share my story and hope that I can prevent someone else from making a very bad mistake.

Being angry about it solves nothing. It wasn't the cops, courts, DMV or MADD who drank and slid in behind the wheel, so don't dump on them. It's guys like you and me who did it, and we need to be held accountable. We're not bad people, but we made bad choices.

I for one am glad I got to where I am now - getting arrested before I killed someone is a blessing...for me, and whoever I eventually would have run down.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Maybe I can learn a thing or two with how you are dealing with the DUI's. The only thing I have learned is resentments towards the courts, DMV, MADD and others who target drunk drivers. I feel like society hates convicted drunk drivers.
I had so many resentments. It took a long time...PM me, I see you're dealing with some of the same stuff.

I guess it comes down to, if you really take a look...Did you do it or not? Were you drunk when they stopped you? To thine own self be true. If you, in your heart, were drunk at the time, then only you can decide how far you want to take it.

Me, I got out of one scot-free drunk off my ass, but those last two. I had to own up, yes I was drunk and thank god I didn't hurt anyone. I needed help, and I needed to be away from society. Yeah, the law is not on the drunk drivers side. If you can get a great lawyer and get a dismissal, wonderful, but see it as the wake up call it is. I didn't, and I did a year.

Like I said, it's not the best solution for everyone. When I got popped. I was near bottom. I have no children, I wasn't married, I barely had a job. At the time, I just did my time to make it all go away. I never said it was for everyone. Some people can't handle jail period. Unfortunately, I found out, I could.

Society kinda does hate us. But! It hates us less than drug convictions, and multiple felons. I have accepted jobs since, and they do come. I can get an apartment, because in my plea, I managed to plea down the felony. It hasn't been easy, but it's also simplified the hell out of my life. What mattered back then, doesn't matter now.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Four weeks ago, i had my first dui, yesterday i have caught for dui. What will happen to me? Shall i want to consult best omaha dui defense attorney.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Only if your DUI was in Omaha, Gerry....

D
Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ignoring representation and options is not manly- its just ignoring your rights in the judicial system. I suppose if you want to scare yourself then going to jail for a year to really make it hurt is an option- but it kinda feels like breaking your own arm just to make sure you will see a Dr. this year because you keep forgetting.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EndGame

Keep it moving...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cat_out.jpg (31.4 KB, 1722 views)