Notices

At a crossroads

Old 11-26-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

At a crossroads

I joined this forum a while back but didn't use it really.

I'm at a crossroads in my life - just divorced and trying to get my life back together.

Been sober 6 weeks, receiving counseling. Not taking any medicine (antabuse, etc.) but doing it at my own will atm.

So here's my thing - I know I will start drinking again. Maybe in a few months, not sure. Right now I cannot allow myself to for several reasons - and so I'm postponing it.

Now, drinking would be a terrible idea, also for several reasons, but I feel I am at a point in my life where I indeed will pick up the bottle again. I have a key motivation to abstain from the drink - contact and a relationship to my 3 yr son - but I am simply afraid that my loneliness and general depressive state will make me tip again. I think about drinks, and I miss the buzz.

Anybody been in a similar situation, and did you handle it or drop back? I still have this stupid idea that I can handle the drink and consume moderately, even if it's against all odds...

Thanks in advance for any feedback. PM's are welcome too.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Why would you start to drink again? Is your 3 year old son going to go away? Why don't you be there for him his entire life? I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess your trying to stay sober for custody reasons. Drinking isn't going to help your depression either. Lots of reasons to get and stay sober.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on six weeks sober and counseling.

You had the opportunity to get well two years ago and now you've let it get to the point where you've lost your marriage and sounds like you're worried about visitation, too.

The alcohol caused your problems and it will continue to should you pick up again. Give sobriety a real chance and try to find hobbies or volunteer situations that will give you purpose. Loneliness is easily overcome.

Adding a "depressant" to an already bad situation. Can you see how that doesn't make any sense? My depression didn't lift for a few months after I quit drinking...like six months. I had to proactively look for ways to engage in life.

I hope you will reach for continuous sobriety. If not you will continue in misery, of that I am certain.

The war is over, friend. Alcohol won. Throw up the white flag and fight for your life. Nothing good lies at the bottom of a bottle.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Why would you start to drink again? Is your 3 year old son going to go away? Why don't you be there for him his entire life? I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess your trying to stay sober for custody reasons. Drinking isn't going to help your depression either. Lots of reasons to get and stay sober.
Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well done on six weeks sober and counseling.

You had the opportunity to get well two years ago and now you've let it get to the point where you've lost your marriage and sounds like you're worried about visitation, too.

The alcohol caused your problems and it will continue to should you pick up again. Give sobriety a real chance and try to find hobbies or volunteer situations that will give you purpose. Loneliness is easily overcome.

Adding a "depressant" to an already bad situation. Can you see how that doesn't make any sense? My depression didn't lift for a few months after I quit drinking...like six months. I had to proactively look for ways to engage in life.

I hope you will reach for continuous sobriety. If not you will continue in misery, of that I am certain.

The war is over, friend. Alcohol won. Throw up the white flag and fight for your life. Nothing good lies at the bottom of a bottle.
His mother has custody, but I am told I can see him when I'm sober - which I have done so far (I mean seen him when sober).

I did sort of throw up the white flag in many ways - I suppose I am even capitulated. In my mind I am thinking, now I am alone anyway, why not drink and go out and enjoy myself? Then I can see my kid when I'm sober... Maybe it's enough for me... I lost my family, home, job, car, money, etc... I have nothing left to lose really. I have my son, basically.

I don't know if anybody's been there, but just like you give up a bit. I am 33, btw. I have had good jobs, I have a resume, etc. Should be able to find work and all. Don't know, I lack the motivation to quit, now that I feel I lost all anyway...

Thing is, I really like being sober... but as I said, the booze takes me to another level, my mind travels and I can think in more dimensions. That's the feeling I miss.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job on the 6 weeks. "one day at a time". You can stick with that and not concern yourself with whether you are going to drink in the future. Maybe you will, maybe you'll decide not to - but you don't have to make that choice right now.
Let that sweet child have you completely sober for right now. It's a lot more fun when you're not hungover.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2012Starlight View Post
I joined this forum a while back but didn't use it really.

I'm at a crossroads in my life - just divorced and trying to get my life back together.

Been sober 6 weeks, receiving counseling. Not taking any medicine (antabuse, etc.) but doing it at my own will atm.

So here's my thing - I know I will start drinking again. Maybe in a few months, not sure. Right now I cannot allow myself to for several reasons - and so I'm postponing it.

Now, drinking would be a terrible idea, also for several reasons, but I feel I am at a point in my life where I indeed will pick up the bottle again. I have a key motivation to abstain from the drink - contact and a relationship to my 3 yr son - but I am simply afraid that my loneliness and general depressive state will make me tip again. I think about drinks, and I miss the buzz.

Anybody been in a similar situation, and did you handle it or drop back? I still have this stupid idea that I can handle the drink and consume moderately, even if it's against all odds...

Thanks in advance for any feedback. PM's are welcome too.
Hi Starlight
If you're lonely and depressed there are things - positive healthy things you can do about that - you could see your Dr, or a counsellor, you could join a social group, you could get involved in your community.

right now it seems like you only have two tools - stubborness and the bottle.

I found there is a great life after drinking - but I also found it won't just materialise - it takes getting up off the couch and out the door, and doing a little work?

D
Old 11-26-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2012Starlight View Post
Thing is, I really like being sober... but as I said, the booze takes me to another level, my mind travels and I can think in more dimensions. That's the feeling I miss.
At what cost??

Oh, this:

I lost my family, home, job, car, money, etc... I have nothing left to lose really.

I don't know if anybody's been there, but just like you give up a bit. I am 33, btw. I have had good jobs, I have a resume, etc. Should be able to find work and all. Don't know, I lack the motivation to quit, now that I feel I lost all anyway...
We all have that euphoric recall - that feeling of flying or like we are with God - or worse, that we ARE God..

It's an illusion. You know that, don't you? It is induced by putting a toxic poison in your brain.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

One thing I know for sure is that you need to be highly motivated to stop drinking and stay sober. It takes focus and work. If you don't have that, it will be very hard for you to recover.

As Dee said, there are many healthy ways for you to deal with depression and other negative issues in your life. It saddens me to think that you would choose alcohol over your son.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Eric Clapton came out with the album Crossroads after becoming sober, and you could say he didn't need alcohol to live and create in multiple dimensions. Mind you, I know the feeling, I was there at some point too, thinking life would just be too bland. But if you give sobriety a fair chance, you might find it's still possible to create. And to enjoy the process.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Quit now before you lose your kiddo. Alcoholism robs you of hope, material possessions, and yes, family. It destroys and eventually kills the host. Starlight when you realize this then drinking will cease being fun. See it for what it is. A disease.
Congrats on 6 months. Take dees advice. Take action. You won't stop drinking by sitting around. Trust me.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks for the replies.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLCamper View Post
Good job on the 6 weeks. "one day at a time". You can stick with that and not concern yourself with whether you are going to drink in the future. Maybe you will, maybe you'll decide not to - but you don't have to make that choice right now.
Let that sweet child have you completely sober for right now. It's a lot more fun when you're not hungover.
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
One thing I know for sure is that you need to be highly motivated to stop drinking and stay sober. It takes focus and work. If you don't have that, it will be very hard for you to recover.

As Dee said, there are many healthy ways for you to deal with depression and other negative issues in your life. It saddens me to think that you would choose alcohol over your son.
I really don't want to choose drink over my kid at all. That's not what I'm talking about. Being sober I fully realize I did want family life, being the best father possible (my own father died from alcoholism). - I just wasn't able to in my addiction.

And now it's too late being the best father possible (meaning being there every day, strong). But yes abstaining completely is absolutely necessary atm.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well I say focus on the "atm" the at this moment part. I mean what else is there? If you want to be sober now, need to be sober now, be sober now. The whole "maybe in the future" or"i know one day I'll slip" mentality is a form of escapism. Its silly, but many indulge including me sometimes. But the time I have is because I know right now being sober is best. I have absolutely no control over my past, and I have no control over a future that doesn't exist yet, just this moment.

Enjoy the sober present, learn to live and love it, and I think you may find it will continue for some time and your commitment will grow.

I dunno, maybe that isn't the iron will philosophy that works for some, but for me it does.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think it's ever too late to be the man you want to be, and the Dad you want for your son, Starlight

D
Old 11-27-2015, 03:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kinzoku View Post
Well I say focus on the "atm" the at this moment part. I mean what else is there? If you want to be sober now, need to be sober now, be sober now. The whole "maybe in the future" or"i know one day I'll slip" mentality is a form of escapism. Its silly, but many indulge including me sometimes. But the time I have is because I know right now being sober is best. I have absolutely no control over my past, and I have no control over a future that doesn't exist yet, just this moment.

Enjoy the sober present, learn to live and love it, and I think you may find it will continue for some time and your commitment will grow.

I dunno, maybe that isn't the iron will philosophy that works for some, but for me it does.
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't think it's ever too late to be the man you want to be, and the Dad you want for your son, Starlight

D
Thanks, those were kind words.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Has anybody had this thought that you somehow had to lose everything you built up in order to fully appreciate what you actually had?

This is what I don't understand about myself. I knew somewhere that I was losing all, but for some reason(s) I didn't 'adjust' in time.

I never considered myself an 'alcoholic' in explicit sense, but a problem drinker sure.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I convinced myself that I wouldn't lose everything...and when I did I convinced myself it didn't matter or it wasn't my fault.

The point is - that was then, and this is now.

Staying sober gives you the best chance of rebuilding your life Starlight

D
Old 11-27-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 6 weeks sober starlight

Think about why your 6 weeks sober why are you doing this - it won't change believe me I tried we all tried which brings me to my next point

Acceptance

After multiple experiments in my attempts to moderate I failed every single time I accepted that I can't drink safely & I can't drink responsibly

My life has turned around in sobriety I havnt bought a big house nor do I own a fancy car but I have the real me back and not only am I cool with that but you can't buy that in the shops

Think about what your saying & listen to every alcoholic before you who has said the same things

Fwiw 6 weeks is pretty amazing keep building on it give it a spin alcohol won't give you anything close to what sobriety will give you

hang in there bud