Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Sedative for colonoscopy triggered urges to drink

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had a colonoscopy over an hour ago and I am in the recovery room getting over the effects of the sedative they injected in my vein.

My first thought/feeling when I was awaken by the nurse was that I wanted a beer. My last relapse was over some Valium pills I took for anxiety attacks.

The real me wants to stay sober more than my addiction wants a beer.

Dh is taking me to brunch in a few minutes.*

It's very 'sobering' to see how engrained my addiction is.

I am grateful for my 2 months of sobriety and will not drink today.

Natalie
Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I accidentally drank a drop of vanilla and my brain lit up like a Christmas tree. For a couple of seconds 3 years of abstinance vanished. All of the thoughts and feelings rushed into my brain. Thank God it was gone in moments but it convinced me beyond any doubt that I will always be an alcoholic.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I had been sober just less than a year when I had my colonoscopy. I didn't crave a beer when I awoke. Didn't crave one when they told me I was fine "down there," though I felt in a celebratory mood.

Not sure what I would have craved if they had spotted cancer.

But it was drinking that prompted the colonoscopy. So drinking wasn't the answer.

Hope your results are good ones. Stay strong.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NatalieN View Post
I had a colonoscopy over an hour ago and I am in the recovery room getting over the effects of the sedative they injected in my vein.

My first thought/feeling when I was awaken by the nurse was that I wanted a beer. My last relapse was over some Valium pills I took for anxiety attacks.

The real me wants to stay sober more than my addiction wants a beer.

Dh is taking me to brunch in a few minutes.*

It's very 'sobering' to see how engrained my addiction is.

I am grateful for my 2 months of sobriety and will not drink today.

Natalie
A good AA friend had a bad experience with his sedation as well. When I had my colonoscopy I told the Dr. about my friend and that I am a recovering alcoholic, he said there would be no problem. The Dr also thanked me for telling him.

There was no problem.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick replies. I just left the restaurant after stuffing my face. The cravings were gone before I left the surgery center.*

The sedative they used was Propofol IV 320 mg. I think that's the one that killed Michael Jackson.

They did find 7 apparently benign polyps which were removed during the procedure. Time for a change of eating habits for sure.*

I have to be very careful with the type of medication that I take. My drug of choice is alcohol and anything that has the ability to alter my mind lowers my guard. I can't have energy drinks or diet pills.*

Thanks for the feedback.

Natalie
Old 12-07-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I had a 'look see' procedure myself this week, and received fentanyl, and midazolam which is similar to your propofol both being benzodiazepines. Fentanyl is an opiate administered for analgesia, and the benzos are to induce memory loss during the procedure.

My single negative observation was the investment my nurse had with the initial IV site. She moved that needle in, out, up, down, all around, before finally trying another vein. I had no renewed cravings at all for alcohol as a result of the procedure. So, mileages may vary.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Many folks after having to take drugs for medical procedure double up on meetings and get "back to basics" (IMO if you don't get away from basics you won't ever have to go back to them), but in any event, they are generally more on guard for a little while.

I agree, the part of my brain that loves being loaded doesn't know the difference between my intentions or who puts it in my body, it just reacts to the presence of the chemicals.

The good news is a million other people went through similar and didn't go out on a tear over it, so you can too.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do or do not. There is no try.

Sorry to bump a years old thread-I had a colonoscopy 2 years ago and the first thing i said upon waking up from my nap was "doc i need some more of that."

Here i am 5 years sober, and i have a follow up colonoscopy next monday. The sick part is me is eagerly looking forward to this...