Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Would you consider taking a "shot" of Nyquil to help combat insomnia drinking?

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 02:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have gotten serious about working a program recently for the first time in my 10 years of being a problem drinker. Even took home my first white chip recently and really feeling great about sobriety. However, I still suffer from terrible insomnia (I'm up at 6:00 AM after a second sleepless night in a row posting).

I've found that taking two "shots" of Nyquil will usually put me to sleep within an hour or so. However, it does contain 10% alcohol. The amount of alcohol I consume when I do this is equivalent to a big mouthful of beer, or a tiny sip of liquor.

It isn't even the alcohol that makes you sleepy, it's the cold medicine stuff. And obviously you're not getting any alcoholic effects from that tiny amount.

However I still feel rather guilty about it, like I am betraying my fiance who is so thrilled by my decision to get sober.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Would it not be better to go to a doctor and ask for some non alcoholic nightcaps?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would try some otc sleep aids. I'm a lifelong insomniac (i'm 55).
Try some natural remedies, a hot bath, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream before bed.
There is something called zzzquil but the active ingredient is the same as the liquicaps. Its too expensive.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Beware of prescribed sleep aids! Some of them are quite addictive. My family doctor recomended melatonin for me...usually works great. I get it at the health food store.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I sometimes take herbal stuff but here it is 3"15 am I 've had sleep difficulty for many years.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nyquil actually contains about 25% alchohol. So why not just take a drink, alcohol is what starts the phenomenon of craving. Seek help from a professional and look for something non habit forming.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your drinking alcohol, however minimal, by drinking NyQuil . A good friend of mine started back on it, thinking it was harmless. But it is not. Don't trick yourself into thinking your sober if your doing shots of NyQuil
Old 12-07-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I know someone who started craving NyQuil after stopping drinking and using it as a sleep aid. Slippery slope.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Calcium, mag. Zinc. You need it anyway, take it before bedtime. Double strength cammomil. Tea, advil pm if you have a headache. Melatonin and valarian, but be careful with valarian, tell doc. You take it, especially if you are planning a surgery. There can be a strong reaction with anesthesia administered.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I do melaotin and also lemon balm tea. But I really can not sleep at night only the day
Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have used it when I had a bad cold,but wouldn't even think about it to help with sleep. As Windancer said,I take Melatonin. But if you have insomnia really bad,it might not help that much.
I also agree with the above poster about doctors getting you hooked on meds.
I think some of them are like zombies. Practicing what they learned in college as gospel,without practicing any common sense.
Join a gym. I realize you can't go every night. But after a good workout,you will be able to sleep. And it might get you in a routine,with the help of melatonin. All you have to lose is a little better health.
Fred
Old 12-07-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dts

I find at times when I have trouble falling asleep, usually something on my mind, I close my eyes and breath deep and slow. Almost like meditation breathing.

Yeah, the nyquil is a slippery slope for sure.
I'd go for any of the above mentioned natural or otc things.

Also in my case, I make sure I stop drinking coffee or anything else I know of that 'keeps me going' 8+ hours before the time I go to sleep.

Hope all of the replies help you and you are soon resting well.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

With me the insomia is deeply tied to PTSD so it is more than a sleep aid I need to deal with
Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

taking nyquil for insomnia.. what do you take when you get a cold?? is nyquil for insomnia??
i gotta flat tire on my car, should i put in new headlights to fix it? i know headlights dont fix a tire, but they make it easier to drive at night.( sounds rather insane,doesnt it?).
Old 12-07-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If I take over the counter medicines, I take them only if I need them and I follow the directions on the label.

I will not abuse medicine.

If you can't sleep, talk to your doctor.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Colts!

I wouldn't take a "Shot" of nyquil for $100.

...just sayin.

Priorities.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I would absolutely not take Nyquil or anything with any alcohol in it. I don't even eat foods made with alcohol.
As for insomnia, how long have you been sober? It is typical to have sleep issues for a while after stopping drinking. All of the above advice helped me somewhat-tea, melatonin, exercise. I also think practicing meditation can help. Mostly what I had to do was wait for my body to regulate itself again. Alcohol interferes with normal sleep cycles. Now, 6 + months out, I sleep better than I have in years.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

it's really a poor assumption to say that "doctors get you hooked on meds", or are "zombies". Perhaps you can better comment after 4 years of undergrad, 4 years of medical school and 3-6 years of residency BEFORE you can prescribed a controlled substance. and extensive knowledge of pharmacology and chemistry

MOST physicians will prescribed what works for you at the lowest possible dosage for the shortest amount of time. every prescription they write is entered into a database that is monitored by the DEA. If you have exensive trouble, ask your physician for help. most likely they will first suggest benydril for short-term use.
since this is your first week sober, it might take a bit longer to get real sleep but it will come in time, true restful sober sleep is best.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Taking a shot of a medicine containing alcohol to sleep is...taking a shot of alcohol.

No WAY would I do that. It's not a slippery slope...it is drinking alcohol, plain and simple.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Get something non-addictive from your doctor.

Originally Posted by cobra8 View Post
I have gotten serious about working a program recently for the first time in my 10 years of being a problem drinker. Even took home my first white chip recently and really feeling great about sobriety. However, I still suffer from terrible insomnia (I'm up at 6:00 AM after a second sleepless night in a row posting).

I've found that taking two "shots" of Nyquil will usually put me to sleep within an hour or so. However, it does contain 10% alcohol. The amount of alcohol I consume when I do this is equivalent to a big mouthful of beer, or a tiny sip of liquor.

It isn't even the alcohol that makes you sleepy, it's the cold medicine stuff. And obviously you're not getting any alcoholic effects from that tiny amount.

However I still feel rather guilty about it, like I am betraying my fiance who is so thrilled by my decision to get sober.