Notices

question for long term sobriety

Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question for long term sobriety

Is there a point were you have not walked step 4 or 10 in a written form. In other words been a bit less on fire lol. I'm not saying removed yourselfs from meetings and recovery.but just relaxed a bit. And just let it be an accept imperfection
Old 12-06-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup.

All the best.
Bob R
Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AAudrey

It's called resting on your laurels and yes, everyone does it.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I don't even think of my self as being "in recovery". I just think of myself as living my life.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cfm

If you ever examine AA literature from the 40"s or 50's they taught that steps 1 thru 9 were to be worked once and once only. I did one 4th & one 5th and I'll be damned if I'm ever doing another. Some people just like pain I guess. If you think your resting on your laurels find someone to sponsor.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cfm View Post
If you ever examine AA literature from the 40"s or 50's they taught that steps 1 thru 9 were to be worked once and once only. I did one 4th & one 5th and I'll be damned if I'm ever doing another. Some people just like pain I guess. If you think your resting on your laurels find someone to sponsor.
Can you please send link on that literature or suggest were to find. Central had none thank you. I do sponsor and it helps of course. ThNk you so much
Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
I don't even think of my self as being "in recovery". I just think of myself as living my life.
You have an interesting way of looking at things Onlythetruth, I like that!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's funny really. I'm not long term but have been sober five years. Got sober when I was 17 after five went back out. Now I'm five again at 49. Ill leave the road back to your imagination.lol I have worked and worked and sponsor and grown. My life is pretty darn cool. But I'm beating myself IP very the fact that when at meets we discuss defects step four extra. Some have such a clear understanding of what they have discoverd. Yet I seem to draw simple conclusions and find it all no big deal. I feel I should of seen some light lol. These 2 yearolds 3 too. Seem to have all the answers. I used too. But nolongrr do. So I started reworking steps. Only found stupid stuff I already knew. All I know is if I don't drink I won't get drunk. And I'm a happy camped most of the time. I still lie from time to time trash bills I can't pay. Ie I'm human. Will I get drunk over it. I don't think so. But they seem to. So wth. Love ya all
Old 12-06-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sometimes the fire burns bright and sometimes there's nothing but embers. Just can't forget to stoke the embers when needed to get the fire burning again. Lest they die out. The same can be said about every aspect of my life. As with most of us.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I came to AA in August of 95 because I didn't want to be loaded anymore. Haven't got loaded since. I'm really tickled pink with the guy I am without booze in me and so is everyone in my life who cares about me.

I'll be damned if I'm going to be picking myself apart trying to find new things wrong with me for the rest of my life or beating myself up over would have and could have done this or that today but didn't. I have no big aspirations on being anything beyond a basic human being who can show up and be a participant in my own life.

To each their own. I chase a day of sobriety and helping my fellow man and good things, peace, and joy come my way in their own time.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TSDD View Post
I came to AA in August of 95 because I didn't want to be loaded anymore. Haven't got loaded since. I'm really tickled pink with the guy I am without booze in me and so is everyone in my life who cares about me.

I'll be damned if I'm going to be picking myself apart trying to find new things wrong with me for the rest of my life or beating myself up over would have and could have done this or that today but didn't. I have no big aspirations on being anything beyond a basic human being who can show up and be a participant in my own life.

To each their own. I chase a day of sobriety and helping my fellow man and good things, peace, and joy come my way in their own time.
Very well said. Thank you.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
cfm

cloud8:
Can you please send link on that literature or suggest were to find. Central had none thank you. I do sponsor and it helps of course. ThNk you so much
Central had none, well that's no surprise. In 1952 a series of books (pamphlets really)were written called "The Little Golden Books" there were 12 or 13 in all. There was the little golden book " Humility, Sponsorship, The Steps, Etc. They are rare today but you can still find them. In light of that, there is a book in print today called "Sobriety and Beyond". It is a compilation of about 6 or 7 of the little golden books in one book. A suggestion for you:...........When you read the BB the word "We" is all over it. When you read the word "We" they are not speaking of the fellowship of today, they are speaking of the first 100 men who did it. The fellowship of today bears no resemblance to the fellowship they speak of. Doing what "We do has gotten more people drunk than you can shake a stick at. Don't worry about what "We do, worry about what "They" did...........you'll be ok son.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I guess some people think that self-examination is a once-and-done thing. I cannot imagine living a good, generous, and moral life without ongoing self-examination, but if you can do it, great.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

After Step 9 there is Steps 10,11 and 12.

It ain't a "done deal".. it's a daily reprieve.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-07-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've taken several 4th steps over the years. The time I between them get longer and longer though. I'm way overdue at this point but my crazy work hours leave little free time.

I'm not the same person or have the same outlook on life as I did when I was 17 when I got sober. It's changed from my 20's, 30's, 40's and now in my 50's. I know for me I'm not fearless and thorough in all if my daily inventories. There are times where I just need to sit down and totally assess my life. The same with offending others and making amends. It's funny how time can change your outlook.

The first 9 steps aren't one and done for me. I lost count the number of times where I became smarter than God before coming to my senses and turning it back over. The 12 steps are a lifetime work in progress IMHO.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have to once more thank 2 Granddaughters for this video.

4 Seasons of Recovery - YouTube

Don C. He also has a few speaker mp3's on XA-Speakers and probably elsewhere.

I do, whatever works. I've returned to steps, I've rested on laurels, I've come to know what untreated alcoholism looks like - for me - and I've come to believe the solution today is - steps, meetings and service - rather than alcohol.

FWIW - 10/13/2002
Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Db1105 View Post
I've taken several 4th steps over the years. The time I between them get longer and longer though. I'm way overdue at this point but my crazy work hours leave little free time.

I'm not the same person or have the same outlook on life as I did when I was 17 when I got sober. It's changed from my 20's, 30's, 40's and now in my 50's. I know for me I'm not fearless and thorough in all if my daily inventories. There are times where I just need to sit down and totally assess my life. The same with offending others and making amends. It's funny how time can change your outlook.

The first 9 steps aren't one and done for me. I lost count the number of times where I became smarter than God before coming to my senses and turning it back over. The 12 steps are a lifetime work in progress IMHO.

Thank you, well said. This has been my experience as well.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-07-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cfm View Post
cloud8:

When you read the BB the word "We" is all over it. When you read the word "We" they are not speaking of the fellowship of today, they are speaking of the first 100 men who did it. The fellowship of today bears no resemblance to the fellowship they speak of. Doing what "We do has gotten more people drunk than you can shake a stick at. Don't worry about what "We do, worry about what "They" did...........you'll be ok son.
I have to jump in here. There's two fellowships mentioned in the book. One starts with a big "F" and one starts with a little "f" and there's a world of difference. The big "F" Fellowship does resemble the "We" used in the book. But yes. Doing what the little "f" fellowship does can and will kill an alcoholic.