Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How do I know when I am drinking like an "Alcoholic"?

Notices

How do I know when I am drinking like an "Alcoholic"?

Old 11-29-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

Living without a drink was difficult.....sad times, good times, to have fun times, to relax times, to play with the kids, to do housework, to have intimate relations, to just be.....
Old 11-29-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I see this thread is intended for humor, so I'll add my two cents:

"When I find some blood in my alcohol stream."
Old 11-29-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

what defined me as an alcoholic was when I always wanted to drink for social fun, friends didn't mind at first getting drunk once in awhile but when I started making it a once a week thing or sometimes if it were a couple hour hang out I always suggested we drink! "So guys what do you want to do tonight? any ideas? I have none." my first friend said "I don't know, I haven't any ideas either. Chris? Any ideas?" my second friend asks me "How about we go to the liquor store, get some booze, drink and play games all night!" Rolling of the eyes but they'd go with it until much later when they always would say why we have to drink each time, that there are more things to do then drink. I was alcoholic from the first drink.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If you have a problem with your drinking, does it matter what you call it?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The phenomenon of CRAVING. If you have to force quit or you can't just seem to ever get enough. This is a good indication.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

When I was on my 12+ detox in the hospital & the nurse caught me drinking the alcohol based hand sanitzer they use.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

We all have problems in life. Sometimes the solution is a second job. Sometimes it's ending a toxic relationship or working on our communication skills. Sometimes...

When I turned to alcohol as a solution, I crossed the line into alcoholism.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'd been drinking alcoholically for a long time before I actually realised it. I'd had a couple of dark moments where I thought this cant be right, but they'd only been passing thoughts.

Even when I ran out of people to drink with and started drinking on my own I still blocked out any thoughts that this might not be quite right.

I'd had plenty of mornings when I'd woken up with feelings of guilt or shame for some reckless or embarrassing action from the night before. But hey, everyone does something stupid once in a while, right? At least that's how I talked myself out of it.

Of course all this time I was drinking alcoholically, I just didn't realise it. Or more honestly, I was just finding ways to ignore it and convince myself it was ok.

I finally ended up having to acknowledge there was a problem when the guilt got too much. It wasn't guilt over any one action, it was just a general feeling of guilt. All the time. A permanent black cloud over my head and a constant sense of unease, being on edge. Hating myself, not knowing what to do about it, pretending to everyone else everything was fine, and hating myself more for doing that.

If that state of being goes on long enough and buries itself deeply enough into your psyche, it will eventually penetrate the thickest layers of alcoholic denial. That's when I finally had to say, I've got a problem.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I was never able to stop once I started. I always drank until I blacked out. I didn't drink everyday but when I did, I could never handle just one.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Q: How do (did) I know when I am (was) drinking like an "Alcoholic"?

A: Each time I quit I re-discovered I was drinking like an alcoholic.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Great post Robby, I must have quit hundreds of times. The worst was when I quit and tried nonalcoholic wine! I think that lasted two days before I was back to the real thing.

Dave
Old 11-30-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I drin'k once in life and it was a bad experience when we was in my friend's gf birthday party and they force me to drink. i don't know what exact it was but it make my sick. I do vomating whole night. I can't forget that.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Fred Sanford said "when you see some fool tryin to put his shoe on over his head....THAT'S a alcoholic"
For me it was a combination of anxiety, 3 arrest, feeling like **** everyday....ect....several different things.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by THEOjibway View Post
"How about we go to the liquor store, get some booze, drink and play games all night!" Rolling of the eyes but they'd go with it until much later when they always would say why we have to drink each time, that there are more things to do then drink. I was alcoholic from the first drink.
i can soooooo relate to that! i seemed to always be the drink "pusher" around my friends so that they would be drunk like me & it wouldn't matter how trashed i got! Oh and i used to "bring-my-own" huge Costco sized bottle of vodka to all events that I went to at someone else's place, even if it was for only a few hours or an event that was totally a non-drinking event...i was sure to make it one...at least for me anyways! Any day, time, event etc was a great time to drink. kinda a ridiculous life i had!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

when i took that online "are you an alcoholic?" quiz and it told me i had a serious problem!!

i actually did take several of those quizzes when i was researching alcoholic drinking....really....if you don't think you have a problem with alcohol you aren't going to spend night after night etc dwelling on if you are or not & taking self-assessments and trying to see how you score on those tests!

here were some of my flags to myself.....
when i realized i was drinking every day.
when i would wake up in the morning and have zero recollection of the previous night and the frequency of black out drinking was getting worse.
when i couldn't stop drinking once i started
when i would choose to just not drink at all if i was going to a dinner or meeting or something & if i knew i had to drive and/or that i couldn't drink how i wanted to, because what was the point of only having 1 or 2?

that was the beginning - i have a lot more on my list now that i've walked through the doors of AA, rehab and recovery.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by WildBilly View Post
I'd been drinking alcoholically for a long time before I actually realised it.
The point that I was trying to make in my OP was that I drank for a long time like a drunk before I started to drink like an alcoholic.

How is that? For about 25 years I drank a lot, I drank often and I got into some trouble as a result of it. However, it was fun and well worth the occasional consequences. I was still drinking as much as I intended to, as often as I intended to and was getting into as much trouble as I intended to (I liked to brag about it with my drinking buddies).

Then something changed. I started drinking more than I intended to. Drank more often than I intended to and got in more trouble than I intended to. It stopped being a laughing matter. The consequences became greater than the fun.

That's when I started to try to control my drinking. That's when my results did match my intentions. That's when I started to drink alcoholically.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I drank the wrong amounts at the wrong times for the wrong reasons.