Notices

sober but dealing with life like I'm not

Old 12-03-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sober but dealing with life like I'm not

I have a problem and I have to go to the bank to figure it out. There is some money missing. Someone, somewhere made some purchases. It wasn't me. Called the bank and the branch manager tells me I have to come in and sit down with them. A normal mature assertive person who run in there and sort it out.
And then there's me. I think about sitting in the bank going over the statement , waiting my turn, being told what I'm supposed to do next. I canceled the card. I called Amazon and tried to find out who spent $200.00 and used my card. They gave me a phone number to call. Everytime I call it I get a busy signal.
I hate dealing with red tape. I hate bank tellers. I am handling this the way I would if I were still drinking.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a while to learn how to react to things like a 'normal person'.

Most of my problem was learning to deal with fear.

I'd have had the whole gory scenario played out in my head before I put the phone down, and been paralysed for god knows how long after....

I hate the thought of someone stealing from me though - you need to get it sorted.

You know what you should do. Do it escapist.
It'll be easier next time

D
Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's always scary when you have a problem with a bank and money is missing. The idea of someone else using your credit/debit card is really unsettling. As Dee said, it takes some time to get used to dealing with issues like that.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
I have a problem and I have to go to the bank to figure it out. There is some money missing. Someone, somewhere made some purchases. It wasn't me. Called the bank and the branch manager tells me I have to come in and sit down with them. A normal mature assertive person who run in there and sort it out.
And then there's me. I think about sitting in the bank going over the statement , waiting my turn, being told what I'm supposed to do next. I canceled the card. I called Amazon and tried to find out who spent $200.00 and used my card. They gave me a phone number to call. Everytime I call it I get a busy signal.
I hate dealing with red tape. I hate bank tellers. I am handling this the way I would if I were still drinking.
Handle it the best you can. If you go to AA take your sponsor with you if need be.

Next time something like this happens you will not be as afraid of it as you are now.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-03-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drinking made being irresponsible and childish my normal.
Now , I have to grow up and I am whining about it.
I am clueless.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

The fear of growing up is worse than actually growing up, I promise, escapist

D
Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If this makes you feel better, I've had situations like this come up and I'd get all pissy...
Only to find out I did it and don't remember.
At least it wasn't you in a drunkin slumber and you don't remember. Wouldn't that suck to see your face on the video camera buying something lol
Old 12-03-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You're handling it better than I would've when I was drinking.

Probably would've taken me (at least) a few months to even realize it !?!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate. Dealing with stuff like that usually made me jump in the wine barrel head first.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bri

Escapist, not sure who you bank through but I had a similar situation some time ago. Basically you may just have to of course cancel the card, then sign some papers confirming the transaction was fraudulent. Have confidence, they should be able to get your money back. Good luck!